Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

"Benitez has recruited him to start games and he’s likely to be part of a double pivot midfield – one of two defensive-minded midfielders who can break up play, set up attacks and help Newcastle to dominate possession. It’s also good news for Jonjo Shelvey, who will be the creative force for Newcastle next season: the stage he craved when he left Swansea."

Great article from The Chronic, him and Hayden--seems a very young central pairing--with Shelvey on point. Not bad, but surely there's an older head coming in?

Probably McCarthy or Samaris to partner him? Both are more seasoned.

Then subs will be Hayden, and at this point ... Colback ... really wish we could get someone in to replace Colback as a back up. The idea of him being involved in any capacity is very upsetting.

We have De Jong and Diame as well. If we have 3 defensive midfielders in the squad next season, we could play one of these in the centre. Really can't see us buying two more central midfielders we still need a striker, left back and goalkeeper, and a number 10 would still be nice to keep our options open.

"Benitez has recruited him to start games and he’s likely to be part of a double pivot midfield – one of two defensive-minded midfielders who can break up play, set up attacks and help Newcastle to dominate possession. It’s also good news for Jonjo Shelvey, who will be the creative force for Newcastle next season: the stage he craved when he left Swansea."

Great article from The Chronic, him and Hayden--seems a very young central pairing--with Shelvey on point. Not bad, but surely there's an older head coming in?

Probably McCarthy or Samaris to partner him? Both are more seasoned.

Then subs will be Hayden, and at this point ... Colback ... really wish we could get someone in to replace Colback as a back up. The idea of him being involved in any capacity is very upsetting.

We have De Jong and Diame as well. If we have 3 defensive midfielders in the squad next season, we could play one of these in the centre. Really can't see us buying two more central midfielders we still need a striker, left back and goalkeeper, and a number 10 would still be nice to keep our options open.

Yeah, good point. I really hope we keep a hold of De Jong because of this. However, if Shelvey is used further up, it might be less likely we keep De Jong as a sub, but I think it would be a good move tbh.

If we were switching formation surely we'd have used it more often in Pre Season by now?

We don't really have the players for that formation at the moment, plus i still reckon we'll be playing the 4231 in some of our more winnable home games. Who knows I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

If we were switching formation surely we'd have used it more often in Pre Season by now?

True. Don't think Shelvey has been used off the striker in pre season at all yet. Guess we'll see.

True. Don't think Shelvey has been used off the striker in pre season at all yet. Guess we'll see.

I think he'll probably be playing a little deeper than a traditional number 10, but with more licence to get forward than he had without the cover of a second defensive minded midfielder last season. if we do end up with this formation. Probably necessary to be honest, Rafa is a defensively minded coach and our defence will need the extra protection in a lot of games this season.

Do you not think Hayden could be molded into more of a number 10 role? Last season he had about 5 or 6 games where he was constantly driving into the box...I personally think he's got a lot of ability and could probably compete for that place. Seems a shame, if the Samaris signing is true, that we are likely to see less of him.

No.

Guest firetotheworks

I could see Shelvey working in the number 10 position if he dropped deeper, but then that would make it a bit pointless unless we had a way of making that work for Gayle. It's not that far fetched, it just means he wouldn't be a typical number 10.

I could see Shelvey working in the number 10 position if he dropped deeper, but then that would make it a bit pointless unless we had a way of making that work for Gayle. It's not that far fetched, it just means he wouldn't be a typical number 10.

It would be a 433 then, honestly I don't expect Shelvey's role to change at all and neither should it.

We just need a reliable link between him and Gayle, I'll be disappointed if we don't get someone to fulfill that role.

Hayden as a number 10? :lol:

He was our most attack minded driving midfielder in a bunch of games last year (those that he had license to get forward in). I dunno... I think he offered a lot in that respect. As pointed out though, he's not creative enough really.

Exactly driving midfielder, from the number 10 role you don't get driving space which is why Ben Arfa was always marked out of the game from there but found loads of space on the right.

Hayden makes those runs from a deep position, they would be non existent if he played further forward. In general a no 10 should be always available available linking play between the midfield and the attack.

We have nobody who can fulfill that role to the required standard at the football club, I usually wouldn't care so much but with the system Rafa plays it's as vital as anything.

I'd imagine it'll be Hayden and Merino holding and "pivoting" with Shelvey being the one pushing between the center circle and the 18 yard box most matches. DeJong rotated in and out due to fitness concerns and "easier" matches in a more traditional No. 10 role.

Must be what the Samerias/McCarthy rumours are about. Signings only make sense if we're dropping the 4231, and going for a 41221 or somethings similar, hence no need for a number 10, at least in most games. We'll probably revert to 4231 at home to some of the lesser teams in the league with De Jong playing the number 10 role.

:thup: agree with that

Do you not think Hayden could be molded into more of a number 10 role? Last season he had about 5 or 6 games where he was constantly driving into the box...I personally think he's got a lot of ability and could probably compete for that place. Seems a shame, if the Samaris signing is true, that we are likely to see less of him.

Shelvey and Hayden mentioned as possible no.10s on the same page? :lol:

Really, there's desperation but that's just utter insanity. We either all join in mass prayer for de Jong's health or just buy a fucking no.10.

I'd imagine it'll be Hayden and Merino holding and "pivoting" with Shelvey being the one pushing between the center circle and the 18 yard box most matches. DeJong rotated in and out due to fitness concerns and "easier" matches in a more traditional No. 10 role.

A 433  :smitten:

Remember when we played that with HBA and Ba against Stoke or WBA (or someone, can't remember) and we were tearing them to pieces.

Perhaps Rafa just wants a squad. Having 4 centre midfielders (Colback doesnt count) is hardly revolutionary.

He won't be changing his formation.

Considering how rigidly he stuck to it last year, it would be a huge surprise to see him change now.