Mikel Merino

Disco

10 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

He left because he was homesick which is understandable, he'll not want to leave the Basque area.  Also sociedad are pretty handy as well.

The rumours over here were that his entourage made advances to both Athletic and Sociedad to come and get him. Benitez didn´t like the fact that his head was elswhere, he didn´t wnt to put in the hard work and therefore didn´t play him.

Only find out these titbits after the fact...

His only interest in Newcastle was using us as a stepping stone, could have been homesickness but that shouldn´t stop you being professional and giving your all?

Guest neesy111
Just now, Chris_R said:

He's been at Sociadad for nearly 4 years. I wonder how long he has left on his contract.....?

2025, signed a new contract.

Doesn't seem like a realistic signing but, regardless, has he developed into the player we thought he might do? 11 caps for Spain in a decent Sociedad team suggests so but I haven't seen him play since whatever his last Newcastle game was. 

Strange, I remember I read some reports before that he chose to go back to Spain because he was told he won’t have that much playing time in the future by Rafa. Could be bollocks

5 hours ago, buzza said:

No way he is coming back to the UK. Tarnished reputation behind the scenes.

is also known as a bit of a prima donna at La Real...

He's signed a new contract though so it must be going pretty well.

Maybe he just likes being in Spain, so fair enough tbh, doesn't make him a bad player. Just the wrong one for us.

5 hours ago, Zero said:

Strange, I remember I read some reports before that he chose to go back to Spain because he was told he won’t have that much playing time in the future by Rafa. Could be bollocks

He basically joined and left us for the same reason. Dortmund weren't playing him and he clearly knew he needed games.

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I liked him, but bringing him back would be for purely sentiment's sake when there wasn't really a lot of sentiment. 

This. 

We're in love with someone that was a touch of class amid a field of dross. He was the embodiment of what we could have been under Rafa Benitez had Ashley not stifled us. 

• 5 months later...