Mikel Merino

Disco

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

Didn't realise he'd gone to Marseille on a free this summer. Starting, 2nd in the league and unbeaten. Pleased to see it; really did have hope for him.

I'm sure he didn't learn English which peed off Rafa as he wasn't understanding his instructions?

10 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Hamann honourable mention

Ben Arfa potentially as we didn't see him enough

Demba Ba

All of those 2015/16 signings under McClaren - Mitro, Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Mbemba and Toney, was the most exciting transfer window as all were genuine potential superstars in the making.

Just gave them to the wrong manager. 

Demba Ba's peak was at Newcastle. Him/his agent wanted more money at Chelsea, and look how his career went. Good on him for earning money, but he was never better than at Newcastle.

I mentioned Mitro, and Thauvin.

Mbemba was good. Happy to see he's playing at high level, but he was never that special. 

55 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I presume you and @The College Dropoutare big admirers of Alan Smith, Geremi, Butt, Colback and other shit players who stayed to fight for their place then? 

No? Obviously a difference between shit players no one wants and a good player not wanting to put in the work earn to his spot again.

Edited by McCormick

21 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I presume you and @The College Dropoutare big admirers of Alan Smith, Geremi, Butt, Colback and other shit players who stayed to fight for their place then? 

Weird way to look at things.

The players I am a big admirer of hav talent and application - the Cabaye's. Talent without application is disgraceful - Cabella, Thauvin. Application without talent can be respected but that's it.

I'm not going to dislike a player personally because their legs have gone like a Geremi. Geremi still had some ability and you could tell he was some player in his day but his day and been and gone. The likes of Jack Colback played coward-ball, hid from the ball, took little risks, ineffective off the ball. He was one of those that wanted to look hard working but shirked real responsibility. No love for that either.

Thauvin, Wijnaldum - talented but didn't give a shit about the fans enough to put in an honest shift with their talents.

Saw Mbemba get sent off the other week in Europe.

He regularly plays for European level sides. Think he was at Porto recently.

Whenever I've seen him, he's been average to poor. Was never going to make it in the PL.

Love me Demba Ba.

Mitro came too young and under the wrong management - including Rafa. Glad he's proving himself to be a good player - the talent was obvious.

Gini pea-hearted but I would have taken him this summer.

Thauvin and Cabella - pea hearted. Thauvin went on to show that he had real ability, making his pea-hearted nature here even less forgivable.

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, McCormick said:

No? Obviously a difference between shit players no one wants and a good player not wanting to put in the work earn his spot again.

Yeah but don't let that get in the way of a wildy over exaggerated response. The players he mentioned, I never remember any of them fighting for a place, more just happy to sit in the background collecting their wages and taking the piss.

I totally agree with what you said regarding Merino. He did seem to give up the ghost and want to move as soon as he wasn't playing regularly, showed a lack of fight which was disappointing. Great player on his day mind.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Yeah but don't let that get in the way of a wildy over exaggerated response. The players he mentioned, I never remember any of them fighting for a place, more just happy to sit in the background collecting their wages and taking the piss.

I totally agree with what you said regarding Merino. He did seem to give up the ghost and want to move as soon as he wasn't playing regularly, showed a lack of fight which was disappointing. Great player on his day mind.

What players did I mention?

2 hours ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Mikel Merino's thread still being alive is only a compliment to how good we saw him as a player. 

Who are the players that have been of such quality, but never stayed long enough?

My vote is - Woodgate

2nd - Thauvin

3rd - Mitro 

Not sure about Thauvin, but I’d add Tomasson and Toney to the list. And wish Sir Les had stayed. Oh! Plus Milner, and Wijnaldum. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not sure about Thauvin, but I’d add Tomasson and Toney to the list. And wishes Sir Les had stayed.

Hamann was another. Was gutted he left after only one season. Was a class player.

Edited by reefatoon

43 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Saw Mbemba get sent off the other week in Europe.

He regularly plays for European level sides. Think he was at Porto recently.

Whenever I've seen him, he's been average to poor. Was never going to make it in the PL.

Love me Demba Ba.

Mitro came too young and under the wrong management - including Rafa. Glad he's proving himself to be a good player - the talent was obvious.

Gini pea-hearted but I would have taken him this summer.

Thauvin and Cabella - pea hearted. Thauvin went on to show that he had real ability, making his pea-hearted nature here even less forgivable.

you see the analysis recently that really shows how bloody crucial Gini was for Liverpool? How as a 6 his tactical ability to read game, press and retain and hold ball was elite. 

15 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

:thup: I would’ve thought it was a very reasonable feeling; as a fan of a football team you want a squad full of good players with high competition for places in every position. Ideally, he’d have been willing to fight for that starting spot- either through impressing in training or on his subbed cameos. Him pushing to leave because there were players playing well, and were therefore selected ahead of him, seems a bit entitled*. At the end of the day I’m disappointed because I didn’t want him to leave.

*tbf there may have been other factors involved too, but that’s what it looked like from the outside.

13 minutes ago, Kanji said:

you see the analysis recently that really shows how bloody crucial Gini was for Liverpool? How as a 6 his tactical ability to read game, press and retain and hold ball was elite. 

No but I know Gini was an important member of that team.

And I thought he could do a good job in central midfield for us this season and help us get into the top 7 for the reasons that you named. Press, fast pass, retain possession.

But while he was here.. he was poor in the 2nd half of the season. The fact he was out of the team by the end makes me think he wasn't applying himself in training and around the dressing room. Although one of the biggest criticisms I have of Rafa, was not playing either Sissoko or Gini in central midfield. We had the worst central midfield in the league and that's one of the major on-pitch reasond we were relegated. We had Sissoko and Gini right there. I think Gini gave up though,

42 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No but I know Gini was an important member of that team.

And I thought he could do a good job in central midfield for us this season and help us get into the top 7 for the reasons that you named. Press, fast pass, retain possession.

But while he was here.. he was poor in the 2nd half of the season. The fact he was out of the team by the end makes me think he wasn't applying himself in training and around the dressing room. Although one of the biggest criticisms I have of Rafa, was not playing either Sissoko or Gini in central midfield. We had the worst central midfield in the league and that's one of the major on-pitch reasond we were relegated. We had Sissoko and Gini right there. I think Gini gave up though,

Basically said his reading of the game and football IQ was elite to the point he was able to do way more without having to run like a mad man like Hendo. That Hendo had gotten way too much praise where Gini was able to literally slow down counters on Liverpool's press by always being able to be in the right place at the right time. 

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

That is just pure speculation. How could you possibly know they weren't knuckling down in training, giving their all to fight for their spot in the team?

Similarly to @The College Dropout and @McCormickyou have one standard for good players you like, and another for shit players you dislike.

58 minutes ago, Conjo said:

@McCormickyou have one standard for good players you like, and another for shit players you dislike.

Huh?

All players should want to fight for a spot, good or shit. I just get more disappointed when actually good players don’t and then push to leave us. If shit players do that then great, deadwood shifted. Apologies if you find that double-standard unpalatable.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Conjo said:

That is just pure speculation. How could you possibly know they weren't knuckling down in training, giving their all to fight for their spot in the team?

Similarly to @The College Dropout and @McCormickyou have one standard for good players you like, and another for shit players you dislike.

They were a list of shite/has been players that were more than happy to pick up their money. Colback proved that when he had that falling out with Rafa. No intention to move on as he was on big money that he knew he wouldn’t get anywhere else. Stop being so dramatic.

Edited by reefatoon

• 4 months later...