Mikel Merino

Disco

2 hours ago, Paully said:

You can tell he really loved his time at Newcastle.

People will say all these players from abroad won't want to go to certain places because of the weather or because it's not the main city in certain countries. All complete bollocks really.

That period when he came into the team and was doing so well was so exciting man. What a gem we suddenly unearthed. Really glad for the guy that it ended up kick starting his career, which has really taken an upward trajectory. Wish it could have all happened at Newcastle, but just one of those things that injury he had messed it all up.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Always felt like we had a really good player on our hands, he would have looked exceptional in our current system.

Always felt that Rafa under-estimated him. We looked a different side when he was playing, even if he struggled defensively at that time.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Always felt that Rafa under-estimated him. We looked a different side when he was playing, even if he struggled defensively at that time.

Tbf, it was Rafa who brought him in, but Rafa was very set on his own system, and it wasn't really as well suited for box to box midfielders as our current set up is. Rafa liked to play deep and hit the front men with lightning counters, the midfield was usually more defensively deployed for most of the time.

I'm pretty tired of removing the paywall all the time with services like 12ft. It makes the site look shit as well. It's practical on the go on your phone and stuff, though.

I just wrote a simple stylesheet using the Firefox extension Stylus. Now I can browse The Athletic clutter-free.

(I used to be a subscriber, but at the moment it's not worth putting money into as I don't read as much as I used to.)

Here's the code if anyone wants the same experience. I was debating whether this is OK to post or not, but since people keep posting these paywall removing links anyways, I'll just post it:

Spoiler

@-moz-document domain("theathletic.com") {
    body.noscroll {
        overflow: auto;
        height: auto;
        position: static;
    }

#darken-overlay,
    #slideup-paywall,
    #article-container-grid > div:empty,
    #cookieBanner {
        display: none !important;
    }
}

Note that this is for Firefox. I bet there are similar extensions for Chrome and other browsers. Also, if their markup changes, this will break and the code will need to be updated.

Edited by andyman

4 minutes ago, andyman said:

I'm pretty tired of removing the paywall all the time with services like 12ft. It makes the site look shit as well. It's practical on the go on your phone and stuff, though.

I just wrote a simple stylesheet using the Firefox extension Stylus. Now I can browse The Athletic clutter-free.

(I used to be a subscriber, but at the moment it's not worth putting money into as I don't read as much as I used to.)

Here's the code if anyone wants the same experience. I was debating whether this is OK to post or not, but since people keep posting these paywall removing links anyways, I'll just post it:

Hide contents

@-moz-document domain("theathletic.com") {
    body.noscroll {
        overflow: auto;
        height: auto;
        position: static;
    }

#darken-overlay,
    #slideup-paywall,
    #article-container-grid > div:empty,
    #cookieBanner {
        display: none !important;
    }
}

Note that this is for Firefox. I bet there are similar extensions for Chrome and other browsers. Also, if their markup changes, this will break and the code will need to be updated.

Cheers, you’re quite the andyman!

• 2 weeks later...

Best midfielder since since Cabaye, best midfielder up to Bruno. Honestly think he was homesick after going to Dortmund; Rafa offered him half-and-half with him him at Newcastle, but this kid needed to be in Spain. 

I've worked with enough Basque people, to know that money isn't everything - happiness and life is.

Same rule could be put to Asier Illarramendi; Sociedad-Madrid-Soceidad. 

Countless Basque players, either never quit playing for Athletic or Sociedad, or return back. Their loyalty to their region is something I've never seen.

21 minutes ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Best midfielder since since Cabaye, best midfielder up to Bruno. Honestly think he was homesick after going to Dortmund; Rafa offered him half-and-half with him him at Newcastle, but this kid needed to be in Spain. 

I've worked with enough Basque people, to know that money isn't everything - happiness and life is.

Countless Basque players, either never quit playing for Athletic or Sociedad, or return back. Their loyalty to their region is something I've never seen.

I went to the Nou Camp years ago as I was desperate for my kids to see Messi play live in his pomp and the match happened to be against Sociedad.

Illarramendi was fucking insane. Absolutely incredible. As was Messi, obviously but the man from Sociedad blew me away.

1 minute ago, Minhosa said:

I went to the Nou Camp years ago as I was desperate for my kids to see Messi play live in his pomp and the match happened to be against Sociedad.

Illarramendi was fucking insane. Absolutely incredible. As was Messi, obviously but the man from Sociedad blew me away.

I used to be one of the sad kids that made videos of players when I was a kid. I had countless Cabaye channels taken down. 

Illarramendi could have been the next Alonso/Busquets - but he had no mobility and no fitness. 

I always expected to see Merino at Barcelona. It was obvious he wouldn't stay here long. Now we all get older, we understand the world more. 

In terms of loanees; Saha, Distin and Rossi are all players who, at their respective peaks, would've walked into the Newcastle sides of the time. Rossi had a great spell with Villarreal and played lots for Italy; definitely an opportunity missed there you'd think. Roeder wasn't the best, like...

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Thauvin was turboshit for us. At least Mikel showed us the talent. Thauvin was absolutely awful, couldn't pretend to want to be here.

I was one of those shouting "You're not to fit to where the shirt". His responce was to feign injury, roll 5 yards to get off the field, then be subbed off. 

*In same game - was FA Cup away Watford - all I saw was Siem de Jong not run, clearly injured - but pointed, shouted; yet always passes to someone in a Newcastle shirt. 

Edited by Nolberto Disco

1 hour ago, Nolberto Disco said:

I regularly have to check the locks on my wife's restraints, she's always trying to get back over there.

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ran from the hustle. No love for this lad.

Really liked him but yeah, decided to move away the minute he couldn’t break back into the team again after his injury (Shelvey and Diame were on an amazing  run of form at the time). Under Rafa as well; not a fan of that.

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Really liked him but yeah, decided to move away the minute he couldn’t break back into the team again after his injury (Shelvey and Diame were on an amazing  run of form at the time). Under Rafa as well; not a fan of that.

I presume you and @The College Dropoutare big admirers of Alan Smith, Geremi, Butt, Colback and other shit players who stayed to fight for their place then? 

1 hour ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Mikel Merino's thread still being alive is only a compliment to how good we saw him as a player. 

Who are the players that have been of such quality, but never stayed long enough?

My vote is - Woodgate

2nd - Thauvin

3rd - Mitro 

Hamann honourable mention

Ben Arfa potentially as we didn't see him enough

Demba Ba

All of those 2015/16 signings under McClaren - Mitro, Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Mbemba and Toney, was the most exciting transfer window as all were genuine potential superstars in the making.

Just gave them to the wrong manager.