Mikel Merino

Disco

Guest firetotheworks

Liked him as a player and really thought he'd kick on. Tbh though, for me it's not a good sign when a player keeps moving until they have a starting place rather than fight for it, there's every chance he'd have been a starter this year purely because there's no way Diame will maintain that level for another full season.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mikel-merino-reveals-quit-newcastle-14901508

Mikel Merino reveals why he quit Newcastle United following switch to La Liga with Real Sociedad

The Magpies had no choice but to part company with Mikel Merino after just one season

By Lee Ryder Chief Sports Writer

16:26, 12 JUL 2018

Mikel Merino has revealed that moving closer to home was a key factor in his decision to quit Newcastle United after just one season.

The midfielder has signed a five-year contract with Real Sociedad after the La Liga side activated the release clause in his contract.

Merino’s new club is just 50 miles from his hometown of Pamplona.

Speaking after being unveiled as Real’s new star, the former Newcastle midfielder said: “I am very happy and very happy to play in a club that I love and one that I have followed since I was a child.

“It’s very close to Osasuna.

“I am delighted to be here and looking forward to playing the ball.

“It’s a very nice project, with the change of the stadium and everything is good with the group.

“The fans here have spoken so well to me and being back to being close to home is important.

“I am feeling integrated.

“All of them have been important factors and I think I have made a good decision.”

Real Sociedad finished 12th in the table last season and are looking to climb La Liga.

He said: “I want to grow and help the team grow.

“We can improve and aspire to higher levels.

“I hope it’s a beautiful season.”

:dontknow: I'm gutted we've lost a player that has a ton of potential but it seems a mixture of not being a guaranteed starter and home sickness meant he wouldn't have been mentally up for it anyway, so the ability is a moot point.

I hope he kicks on and doesn't end up drifting from club to club.

Same old story, wouldn't be as big a problem if that 10 million was immediately reinvested in a quality replacement.

On Merino though I'm mildly disappointed, didn't think he was anything special but certainly had the potential to be, still don't think he was quite up to the pace of the premier league, but that may have come with time, hopefully we wont regret this one too much.

The release clause seems mental considering we bought him at a time when he was worth more than the release clause we put in the contract

I doubt NUFC decided the release fee. More likely a stipulation of signing that the fee was only break even/small profit amount so Merino wouldn't be priced out of an escape.

Merino's alleged unhappiness with his lack of playing time seems to be only part of the story though, a certain level of planning evident in the move even before he had first become a Newcastle player.

The existence of a release clause was central to his agreeing that permanent move to Tyneside - but the specific nature wasn't well known, that fixed price applying only to certain, named, Spanish clubs.

One of those was Sociedad; a club finishing 12th last season and unable to fill their 32,000 capacity stadium -  but are based in San Sebastian, barely 50 miles away from Merino's birthplace of Pamplona.

The desire to play regular football is undoubtedly a valid reason to move, but the additional benefits of doing so in his own domestic league look to be a factor; namely restarting a stalled international career and catching the eye of bigger clubs in Spain.

It's even suggested that Merino agreed a reduction in his basic salary in order to leave Tyneside.

Merino's alleged unhappiness with his lack of playing time seems to be only part of the story though, a certain level of planning evident in the move even before he had first become a Newcastle player.

The existence of a release clause was central to his agreeing that permanent move to Tyneside - but the specific nature wasn't well known, that fixed price applying only to certain, named, Spanish clubs.

One of those was Sociedad; a club finishing 12th last season and unable to fill their 32,000 capacity stadium -  but are based in San Sebastian, barely 50 miles away from Merino's birthplace of Pamplona.

The desire to play regular football is undoubtedly a valid reason to move, but the additional benefits of doing so in his own domestic league look to be a factor; namely restarting a stalled international career and catching the eye of bigger clubs in Spain.

It's even suggested that Merino agreed a reduction in his basic salary in order to leave Tyneside.

What a tit.