Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

I thought we had a solid good shape unitl the accidentlyonpurpose, looking to pick them off over the top on the break. Sending off killed that, and then their class told in the end. Not overly disappointed if i'm honest, so encouraging things. Tottenham are a good side and we kept them to a few long shots first half.  We were never going to dominate and be all over them.

Fucking hell [emoji23]

Shelvey is a fraud. Give him a little responsibility and he will let you down every time. Merino has a chance to slide right in and take his job over the next three games.

We were well organized and were set up well to neutralise a very dangerous team of much more quality than ours. Very much in the game prior to the red.

We are now desperately in need of spending money but we'll fuck around and waste time and points trying to save a few million here and there.

How did Walker-Peters get MOTM, Atsu has been outplaying him.

The commentators have been kissing his arse since the 1st minute.  He got praise for having the most touches after about 20 minutes FFS!  :lol:  Personally i think he had a difficult afternoon but didn't make any big errors so his manager will be reasonably happy with him.

^^this^^

The commentators were embarrassingly gushing about him.

Wonder if Mitrovic would have got a yellow if he put in the same tackle as Kane.

He would have been off of course and widely criticized, but since it's Kane, it's just a foot note, could have changed the game that.

Struggled for lots of meaningful posession against one of the best sides in the league, shock horror. Despite that (made much worse by the injuries and devastated by the red card) we were relatively well organised and never packed in. In past years that would have ended up 4-0 at least.

Couple of bright sparks going forward, glad Gayle got some playing time without injury and Atsu was a constant threat. Can't think of anyone that had a genuinely bad game, Shelvey aside. Glad we've got Merino to step straight in.

Need a couple of signings, as we already knew. That said, Rafa's hands were tied in terms of changing things.

Next.

Worried by our attacking option. 

Ha, you expected us to win 8-0 did you? You should accept a decent 2-0 loss like a good ol fan.

:anguish: you're doing an exceptional job at letting the point fly directly over your head

I thought we had a solid good shape unitl the accidentlyonpurpose, looking to pick them off over the top on the break. Sending off killed that, and then their class told in the end. Not overly disappointed if i'm honest, so encouraging things. Tottenham are a good side and we kept them to a few long shots first half.  We were never going to dominate and be all over them.

Fucking hell [emoji23]

You watching ? you still think that was an accident  :lol:

Edit : he's apologised for it to his teammates, what's your opinion now ?

Reading this thread, sometimes I wonder whether the much-derided mainstream media opinion of our fans is actually fairly accurate. Absolutely embarrassing.

Aye. Looking fairly comfortable at 0-0 at HT and quite a few people pissing their pants that we hadn't completely outclassed Spurs and knocked in four or five :lol:

Yeah, not like anyone is actually basing their opinion on watching us over the last 4 or 5 years is it.

Watch every other premiership game this weekend, regardless of the red card we were creating nothing. It's clear to see there is nothing in this team to make us comfortable this year. Going to be relying on moments of brilliance. Even Brighton gave City more of a go yesterday.

I expected us to lose today, but I also expected us to have a few corners, see their keeper have to make a few saves.

We're exactly the same team as last season. Go back and read match threads if you want a reminder of how poor we actually played. But of course, that means I expect us to be Barca.

This has always been the Benitez game plan, though: solid defensively, attack smart but not risky.

Relies on creativity. Gayle can't create for himself and Perez is rubbish.

Either need a striker making his own chances or a quality number 10.

Seen plenty of poorer teams actually playing attacking football and it working. Relying on defensive tactics is one of the hardest tactics to make successful. I trust Rafa to do it but we need 4 or 5 more players, and they're not coming.

Elliot 5 nothing too wrong I guess but hoofed a lot and didn't convince

Manquillo 7 looked solid and good going forward

Lejeune 6 not on long enough to make an impact, unlucky

Clark 5 solid enough but poor going forward at lb forever losing ball and can't cross, not his fault really though

Dummett 9 bravely sacrificed himself to force clubs hand in replacing him

Hayden 5 decent at times, but really sloppy at others not his finest

Shelvey 0 last straw, needs replacing

Ritchie 4 invisible, did some defensive work but bleh

Perez 3 invisible as well

Atsu 8 best of our players by far, think he has that edge where he's always looking for end product

Gayle 4 had one chance should have done better

Lacelles 6 thought good but need to rewatch that chance at end as think he has switched off

Mbemba 7 thought looked very good

Merino - 7 looked our best midfielder we've had in ages when he was on but also looked like he liked to rug everybody he could do hopefully not going to concede too many free kicks, think was nerves though

Worried by our attacking option. 

Ha, you expected us to win 8-0 did you? You should accept a decent 2-0 loss like a good ol fan.

:anguish: you're doing an exceptional job at letting the point fly directly over your head

The comments was people pissing their pants about not smashing spurs 4 or 5 nil. Has anyone implied that? Quote it for me.

Pleased with some spells of the game. Thought we made it difficult for Spurs to play their best. Our injuries was really unlucky but we handled it well. Can't mitigate for utter lunacy from Shelvey but any hope of a draw or nicking it was surrendoured with his red card.

Atsu was decent today, think Ritchie will do better. Perez was so hidden from the game it's scary. Like he isn't on the pitch. Gayle feeding off scraps but still dangerous. Think Rafa will still squeeze this side to survival but it's going to be a tough year.

Fucking hell [emoji23]

You watching ? you still think that was an accident  [emoji38]

Not now I've seen Stifler in the Shelvey thread,  kind of echoing what I said.

No it was the topsy turviness of your post which prompted mine. 

Guest reefatoon

It's more deliberate every time I see it.

Yep it was stupid. Didn't even do it hard enough to snap the bastards leg either. A waste all around.

So assuming Dummett is out for a while, and the lack of cover...Im guessing if Yedlin is back that  means Manquillo to LB?

Clark did well at LB tbh, and Manquillo was one of our better players, would leave them both there.

Fucking hell [emoji23]

You watching ? you still think that was an accident  [emoji38]

Not now I've seen Stifler in the Shelvey thread,  kind of echoing what I said.

No it was the topsy turviness of your post which prompted mine.

Think that's a result of being a Newcastle fan like  :lol: