Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were shite all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

Not negative enough, the Emo's will have you.

Guest neesy111

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Rest of the game is impossible to read due to Shelvey's sending off. Are those saying we'll be safe comfortably think Brighton will be as well? As they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll determine imo how we'll do this season.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for this and called for being unrealistic etc.

seems a tad harsh considering the disruptions had with injuries in the first half as well like, when it was 11/11 we weren't being dicked over by spurs who are about the best team in the league

i think that's where the shreds of positivity are from

Mojo, my issue is people saying we were excellent as some have said.  I'm very content with our 1st half performance but a few are getting carried away with it imo and using it to bash others with for being too negative.

If you looked at Spurs last 2 seasons, it took them a while to get going.  Kane still hasn't scored in August which is mental considering his goal record, if we had more quality in the final 3rd then I think today might had been a good opportunity of beating them.  Shame our owner disagrees.

Where was this?

Think we're doing great so far.  They've had a lot of the ball but mainly in harmless areas.

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Rest of the game is impossible to read due to Shelvey's sending off. Are those saying we'll be safe comfortably think Brighton will be as well? As they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll determine imo how we'll do this season.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for this and called for being unrealistic etc.

Agree with you on the defence and the striker position. Rafa can organise a defence as we saw today (til Shelvey), but if we can't score goals we'll be another Boro and go down. We need a few signings (left back, centre mid, striker), but a striker who improves the first team has to be top of the list.

Gayle is crap desperare for a striker who can hold the ball up. Especially as we are set up so deep. Lascelles is a liabilit

Sissoko was shit but seeing as the money for his transfer went on buying 1 billion shell suits from taiwan we might as well have kept the twat

Guest neesy111

No one said we were excellent, Neesy.

Think we're doing great so far.  They've had a lot of the ball but mainly in harmless areas.

But go ahead with your agenda against me.

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were shite all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

:thup:

No one said we were excellent, Neesy.

But go ahead with your agenda against me.

wut :lol:

Gayle is crap desperare for a striker who can hold the ball up. Especially as we are set up so deep. Lascelles is a liabilit

Sissoko was s*** but seeing as the money for his transfer went on buying 1 billion shell suits from taiwan we might as well have kept the t***

Howay man. Don't talk wet.

Guest neesy111

Poor Hughsey. :lol:

Let's just say I think the balance of posts is way more negative than positive.

I'm not sure about that, think most people have said we defended well without offering too much which is fair imo.  It's impossible to judge today as a factor we'll comfortably stay up or go down, but imo I'm worried about quality in the final third.

Rafa looks pretty deflated in this Sky interview like.

He's no doubt worked hard all week on a game plan that was working as expected and then his captain let him down very badly. I'd be livid personally. Not to mention losing one of your only new signings to injury.

Shelvey's a stupid bald racist cunt, Kane is a dirty crayon munching cunt, Alli is a niggly wanker cunt. Hope they all die.

Atsu has certainly improved, thought Manquillo was good and Merino looked good when he came on. We made a very good Spurs side look toothless for 45 minutes. Players are following Rafa's instructions to the hilt and are playing for him. Onto Huddersfield.

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were s**** all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

We were far from shit - at the break neither side really tested the keeper.  2nd half we looked pretty comfortable until Shelley got send off.  If I had one complaint I thought Rafa needed to bring on Merino earlier but other than that we did ok against a good side. 

Rafa understands, as Keegan did, that momentum is worth a few points here and there.

yeah, to me it's not so much about this result alone but we're now heading into games we should be hoping to win with a depleted back line and no first choice CM when we already had a thin squad anyway

hard to take