Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

Not sure I'm getting the Walker-Peters hype. He looked decent in our half but I thought Atsu had him all game. I think Rafa recognised this as well because in the last 10-15 minutes he had Ritchie playing behind Atsu on that left side and we created a few chances by exploiting him.

Not sure I'm getting the Walker-Peters hype. He looked decent in our half but I thought Atsu had him all game. I think Rafa recognised this as well because in the last 10-15 minutes he had Ritchie playing behind Atsu on that left side and we created a few chances by exploiting him.

Aye :lol: Atsu had him 'on toast' about 6 times in the second half. Didn't see how he was that spectacular.

Random youngster nobody has seen play has a lot of the ball = must be good. He did nothing worthy of note.

Any excuse to bot Spurs. Tottenham BotSpurs if you will.

Given that Gayle was never likely to be fit enough to complete the full 90 minutes, if the first half injuries and (especially) Shelvey's lunacy hadn't derailed the game plan, it would've been interesting to see how Rafa would have approached the final third (or quarter) of the match.

For instance, would he have used Mitro up front as a direct replacement for Gayle, while introducing Merino for Hayden? Or might he have brought on Murphy, while shifting Richie in to the number 10 role, and pushing Ayoze up top? Or would he have opted for another set of subs to the two I've suggested?

Whichever way Rafa went, given Spurs presumed title aspirations, had the score been level and it was still 11 vs 11, then I think Spurs would have tried to force the match and that would have given us far more and far better opportunities to get something on the counter. Basically then, I think we would have been in with a real shot at a earning a valuable point, and a decent shot at earning an invaluable 3 points.

We'll never know, of course, but I'm definitely choosing to stick with a glass half full interpretation of today's match.

100% this :thup:

On board with this. Any 'negativity' I have stems from the Shelvey incident and Ashley circus fraying an already very weakened hand in terms of harmony and the club and transfers.

That new singing section btw, did they even sing? Useless.

I think the location is a factor. I can hear the corner where I sit in Milburn Level 7 but couldn't hear anything from the Gallowgate upper.

I think the Corner is more visible to the rest of the ground and encourages more to join in. The back of the Gallowgate is a bit isolated.

That new singing section btw, did they even sing? Useless.

I think the location is a factor. I can hear the corner where I sit in Milburn Level 7 but couldn't hear anything from the Gallowgate upper.

I think the Corner is more visible to the rest of the ground and encourages more to join in. The back of the Gallowgate is a bit isolated.

I said that on here as soon as it was announced. Early days but I think I'll be proven right they should've went with the Strawberry Corner.

I sit in the middle of the Gallowgate and could hear the singing section throughout, although it was much more muted in the second half.

There were issues with the singing section and corner singing different songs at the same time, or the inability to sing the same song together, rather than one side being 5 seconds behind :lol:

Wasn't a bad effort though and will probably only get better.

I sit in the middle of the Gallowgate and could hear the singing section throughout, although it was much more muted in the second half.

There were issues with the singing section and corner singing different songs at the same time, or the inability to sing the same song together, rather than one side being 5 seconds behind :lol:

Wasn't a bad effort though and will probably only get better.

Agree with Rafa in that the Kane tackle was far worse than Shelvey treading on Alli's toe. Of course it's stupid from Shelvey but that is just never a red card. A frustrating game in that everything went wrong for us with the injuries and I don't think we've necessarily learned much about the team / new signings.

Agree with Rafa in that the Kane tackle was far worse than Shelvey treading on Alli's toe. Of course it's stupid from Shelvey but that is just never a red card. A frustrating game in that everything went wrong for us with the injuries and I don't think we've necessarily learned much about the team / new signings.

It's a red forever. Black and white tinted specs on aside.

Just reading the Spurs forum, someone asked why Alli is hated at other clubs. This response made me chuckle :lol:

"That's cause he can be a bit of a cunt AND one of the best players in the league, which must be infurating to play against. Like if he did dumb shit but sucked no one would care.

But he's our cunt, so fuck off."

Do you really think that's violent conduct? It's no different to the 100's of times a striker will step on a defender's toes during the game when backing in etc. Shelvey's just stupid in that he did it right under the nose of the referee.

Guest firetotheworks

He changed stride and direction to stand on his foot right in front of the ref. It's obvious and deliberate, that's the difference.

Just reading the Spurs forum, someone asked why Alli is hated at other clubs. This response made me chuckle :lol:

"That's cause he can be a bit of a cunt AND one of the best players in the league, which must be infurating to play against. Like if he did dumb shit but sucked no one would care.

But he's our cunt, so fuck off."

True like.

Do you really think that's violent conduct? It's no different to the 100's of times a striker will step on a defender's toes during the game when backing in etc. Shelvey's just stupid in that he did it right under the nose of the referee.

He deliberately trod an a guys ankle whilst he was on the floor and not in open-play. It's a no brainer. We'd be going sick if anyone did the same.

I just see one of England's most important players making a two footed scissor tackle and injuring our defender while only getting booked, and then I see one of England's most important players getting his pinkie toe trodden on and the referee can't wait to get the red card out. 

I just see one of England's most important players making a two footed scissor tackle and injuring our defender while only getting booked, and then I see one of England's most important players getting his pinkie toe trodden on and the referee can't wait to get the red card out. 

Well they're both reds, one was called wrong. To our detriment. Alli does a fucking forward roll and it's ridiculous. It's not accidental pinkie toe move though - let's not sugarcoat it