Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

perez and gayle should start ahead for joselu - he offers 0% in link up play, pace, goal threat etc...

Rafa's tactics in England have generally always looked to have a strong target man in the side, even if they aren't scoring. Liverpool with players like Crouch and Heskey being the most obvious examples. Allows quick progression from back to front which is beneficial for us currently as we're spending a lot of the game on the back foot and don't really have the quality at this level capable of keeping possession.

If you look at the selection last few games, we don't really have any defenders who are particularly comfortable on the ball. Clark loves an aimless clip forward and Lascelles tries to keep it simple. Then up front Gayle struggled with holding the ball up in the Championship, let alone the Prem.

Unless we completely overhaul our playing style or squad, think we're most likely going to stick with a striker capable in the air up front. Which for all Joselu's infuriating play, means unless we sign someone on loan or Mitro somehow gets some trust back, Joselu will keep getting time.

Unless Rafa was so impressed with how we played against Stoke he goes completely against all of that. f*** knows. :D

of all our forwards he is the worst target man /keeping the ball...if he manage to keep it and find a team mate he is nowhere near the box.

do not know whats going on with Mitro? But he is twice the player imo.

for god sake the minions Gayle and Perez are better link up players....size isn´t everything!

Just noticed that he's won the 3rd most aerial battles in the Premier League this season.  I know a lot of people say he's absolutely useless, but when he's in the team we've got to be taking advantage of his aerial ability, surely?  We should be getting more players around him to pick up the knockdowns or force opposition defenders into mistakes.  I think the guy would be a lot more appreciated if we did.

Here's the table if anyone's interested....

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/aerial_won

Just noticed that he's won the 3rd most aerial battles in the Premier League this season.  I know a lot of people say he's absolutely useless, but when he's in the team we've got to be taking advantage of that his aerial ability, surely?  We should be getting more players around him to pick up the knockdowns or force opposition defenders into mistakes.  I think they guy would be a lot more appreciated if we did.

Been mentioned before, but he always seems to achieve that stat. He did it in the Bundesliga and La Liga. Lejeune managed to win the most defensive aerial duels for Eibar last season too. Rafa obviously want us to play like a Pulis Stoke team in future.

Just noticed that he's won the 3rd most aerial battles in the Premier League this season.  I know a lot of people say he's absolutely useless, but when he's in the team we've got to be taking advantage of that his aerial ability, surely?  We should be getting more players around him to pick up the knockdowns or force opposition defenders into mistakes.  I think they guy would be a lot more appreciated if we did.

Been mentioned before, but he always seems to achieve that stat. He did it in the Bundesliga and La Liga. Lejeune managed to win the most defensive aerial duels for Eibar last season too. Rafa obviously want us to play like a Pulis Stoke team in future.

You reckon!?  :kasper:

Just noticed that he's won the 3rd most aerial battles in the Premier League this season.  I know a lot of people say he's absolutely useless, but when he's in the team we've got to be taking advantage of his aerial ability, surely?  We should be getting more players around him to pick up the knockdowns or force opposition defenders into mistakes.  I think the guy would be a lot more appreciated if we did.

Not surprised. People talk a load of shit on here, he's a decent target man, and his link up play would be decent if he could score goals to go along with it. But he doesn't, and since the rest of our forwards are pretty goal shy as well, we need a striker who can score goals.

Not surprised. People talk a load of s*** on here, he's a decent target man, and his link up play would be decent if he could score goals to go along with it. But he doesn't, and since the rest of our forwards are pretty goal shy as well, we need a striker who can score goals.

He may win a lot of aerial battles, but usually its not benefiting us as his headers wont find one of our players.

Its a bit the same from throw-ins. Its hilarious/sad how many times he has tried to pass the ball back to the thrower on the first-time touch, but just ended up totally misjudging the pass and shooting it straight back over the line.

Not surprised. People talk a load of s*** on here, he's a decent target man, and his link up play would be decent if he could score goals to go along with it. But he doesn't, and since the rest of our forwards are pretty goal shy as well, we need a striker who can score goals.

He may win a lot of aerial battles, but usually its not benefiting us as his headers wont find one of our players.

Its a bit the same from throw-ins. Its hilarious/sad how many times he has tried to pass the ball back to the thrower on the first-time touch, but just ended up totally misjudging the pass and shooting it straight back over the line.

This says as much about our positioning, anticipation and movement as it does Joselu's aerial distribution for me. If you're winning that many aerial battles surely players should be getting tighter to pick up scraps and / or gambling on him winning it. We have a packed out midfield a lot of the time and if he is dropping it in with his back to goal (which he is most of the time as a result of the way we play) then an intelligent number 10 would be in and around him or one of the accompanying midfielders. That's not to say his distribution isn't partially to blame like but there's more factors than simply that.

Guest neesy111

Joselu has never been in the De Jong and Riviere bracket, he's just easy to scapegoat for obvious reasons.

Baffling he's being compared to those 2 in the first place.

Guest neesy111

Didn't understand the reaction from some in the match thread when he came on. There was no other option and he's been alright lately

Aye, and apart from Murphy what other options did we have?

Didn't understand the reaction from some in the match thread when he came on. There was no other option and he's been alright lately

Really? Should be used to it by now, we had the same with Diame for two seasons. Plenty of fans thick as pig shit is the explanation.