Swansea City vs. Newcastle United - 10/09/17 @ 4pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Surely if Yedlin starts at right back Manquillo plays left back?

If Yedlin starts at Right Back then Manquillo should be on the bench.

Agreed IF Yedlin starts back 4 should be Yedlin Lacelles Lejeune  Clark

Which is pretty good as Yedlin can then get forward alot !! We will pretty much be matching their 3 5 2 formation then !

I do not think Rafa will bring him on till late on in the game though.

Assuming Mbemba is not fit but everyone else is, team I would go with:

Woodman

Yedlin

Lejeune

Clark

Manquillo

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Merino

Aarons

Gayle

Team Rafa will probably go with:

Elliot

Manquillo

Lascelles

LeJeuene

Clark

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Atsu

Perez

Joseulu

Think you Probably have Rafa's team bang on ! Anything else would be a bit of a surprise for me. Merino did play well against West Ham though and played well and scored for the U21's. Think most of us hoping for big things for Merino and to see Merino's name down on starter sheet on Sunday.

Then the question is who do you sacrifice for Merino and that has to be Perez for me as he hasn't impressed really, very inconsistent and at times very frustrating even in the Championship.

Shelvey would offer so much more in that role especially with his pin point accurate passing, vision, reading of the game and can find space and have a crack himself. Yes ok everyone knows he messed up against spurs big time including himself but time to let our best player from last season make amends.

Most will not agree with me on this one but Aarons in for Ritchie for me. Aarons has looked absolutely lethal pre season and against Forest where he made one, scored a screamer and created more chances which could also have been converted by 1st teamers before being subbed. Like many I am not sure what more he can do to get his chance !

Lejeune, Yedlin/Manquillo, Merino and especially Shelvey threading those exquisite balls though to quick skilful runners, Atsu, De Yedlin, Gayle and Aarons is something I'd love to see !

Woodman

Yedlin

Lejeune

Clark

Manquillo

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Merino

Aarons

Gayle

Elliot

Manquillo

Lascelles

LeJeuene

Clark

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Atsu

Perez

Joseulu

Benching Atsu? Ok...

Woodman

Yedlin

Lejeune

Clark

Manquillo

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Merino

Aarons

Gayle

Elliot

Manquillo

Lascelles

LeJeuene

Clark

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Atsu

Perez

Joseulu

Benching Atsu? Ok...

Not really, just rotating a little, perfect opportunity with the long trip he's just been on with Ghana. I want to see a little more of Aarons, deserves a look at based on the forest game.

Woodman

Yedlin

Lejeune

Clark

Manquillo

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Merino

Aarons

Gayle

Elliot

Manquillo

Lascelles

LeJeuene

Clark

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Atsu

Perez

Joseulu

The Rafa side will start, but I think minus Shelvey who will be on the bench.

Shelvey needs to start on the bench for this one like. Hayden and Merino looked canny against West Ham and neither deserves to be dropped for the man who has one brain cell more than he does hairs on his head.

Are the Swansea fans baaing me?

No they're saying baa-ony

Wow. A n-ewe low.

Love how you edited that 2 and a half hours later :lol: 

:lol:

Just thought it needed context, I had actually come up with it immediately (of course).

Based on the presser it seems this is the most likely team/squad:

Starting XI: Elliot; Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Manquillo; Hayden, Merino; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Joselu

Bench: Darlow, Lejeune, Diame, Shelvey, Aarons, Murphy, Gayle

Unavailable: Mbemba, Dummett, Mitrovic

Unused: Woodman, Gamez, Sterry, Haidara, Colback, Saivet

EDIT: Biggest question mark over Yedlin or Lejeune by the looks of it, some journos saying Lejeune is closest to starting but from Paco's comments it doesn't seem like there's much in it. Yedlin RB and Manquillo LB seems the most low-risk option to me, given that Clark did so well at CB last time out.

Starting XI: Elliot; Manquillo, Lascelles, Lejeune, Clark; Hayden, Merino; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Joselu

Bench: Darlow, Yedlin, Diame, Shelvey, Aarons, Murphy, Gayle

Would have rather seem Murphy given a shot then Perez for the added pace.

Starting XI: Elliot; Manquillo, Lascelles, Lejeune, Clark; Hayden, Merino; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Joselu

Bench: Darlow, Yedlin, Diame, Shelvey, Aarons, Murphy, Gayle

EDIT: Biggest question mark over Yedlin or Lejeune by the looks of it, some journos saying Lejeune is closest to starting but from Paco's comments it doesn't seem like there's much in it. Yedlin RB and Manquillo LB seems the most low-risk option to me, given that Clark did so well at CB last time out.

:thup:

Starting XI: Elliot; Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Manquillo; Hayden, Merino; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Joselu

Bench: Darlow, Lejeune, Diame, Shelvey, Aarons, Murphy, Gayle

Decent team would be ok with that.

Hope I'm wrong but not sure he is going to start with Yedlin. He'll probably come off the bench later on. Swansea are a big team that play 3 5 2 and Rafa likes his center backs so think it will be Manquillo, Lacelles Lejeune Clark for the extra height and just being better defensively.

I'd bring Shelvey in for Perez personally and also Aaron's in. Don't think Aarons will start but Shelvey might just !

Never had Swansea down as a "big team" like, we can match them five-for-five with players who are comfortably over 6' even if Lejeune begins on the bench and we're not exactly stocked with "big lads".

Still, think starting Lejeune could have merit for a bit of extra security if we're going to be more cautious, that's a decent point.

Never had Swansea down as a "big team" like, we can match them five-for-five with players who are comfortably over 6' even if Lejeune begins on the bench and we're not exactly stocked with "big lads".

Still, think starting Lejeune could have merit for a bit of extra security if we're going to be more cautious, that's a decent point.

Their three center backs all 6'2 or bigger and at least two of their midfielders around 6'2 and Tammy Abrahams 6'4.

I've been reading they are really big on set pieces and practice them a lot. So expecting a threat from set plays from them.

So I hope it's Yedlin, Lacelles LeJeune Clark ..... that would give us the perfect balance of letting Yedlin attack and cause the havoc he does and possibly Clark getting forward  as well. Whilst having three CB's on the pitch who are all decent defensively and also good in the air particularly against set plays plus Merino, Hayden and Probably Joselu as well who are decent in the air as well.

I just think he's probably not going to start Yedlin because he's not played a single minute for us thus far this season, so will probably bring him on later on.

Yedlin, Lacelles LeJeune Clark is our best back 4 if everyone is fit in my opinion. Maquillo decent going forward but still suspect defensively for me.

Swansea going to be vulnerable down the flanks due to their 3 5 2 formation so  Aarons, Atsu, Yedlin and possibly  Clark going wide could cause them huge problems.

Have a good feeling Rafa will have their system figured out and we wil win 2 1

Their three center backs all 6'2 or bigger and at least two of their midfielders around 6'2 and Tammy Abrahams 6'4.

I've been reading they are really big on set pieces and practice them a lot. So expecting a threat from set plays from them.

So I hope it's Yedlin, Lacelles LeJeune Clark ..... that would give us the perfect balance of letting Yedlin attack and cause the havoc he does and possibly Clark getting forward  as well. Whilst having three CB's on the pitch who are all decent defensively and also good in the air particularly against set plays plus Merino, Hayden and Probably Joselu as well who are decent in the air as well.

I just think he's probably not going to start Yedlin because he's not played a single minute for us thus far this season, so will probably bring him on later on.

Of their starting midfielders only Fer is over 6', Ki doesn't really a look in these days (it'll be Fer, Carroll and Clucas most likely).

I think if you look at the collective height of Lascelles, Clark, Merino, Hayden and Joselu you'll be pleasantly surprised and perhaps a bit less worried.

We also work intensively on set pieces under Mikel Antia, so I think we'll be alright.

Of their starting midfielders only Fer is over 6', Ki doesn't really a look in these days (it'll be Fer, Carroll and Clucas most likely).

I think if you look at the collective height of Lascelles, Clark, Merino, Hayden and Joselu you'll be pleasantly surprised and perhaps a bit less worried.

We also work intensively on set pieces under Mikel Antia, so I think we'll be alright.

Midfielders Sam Clucas is 6'2 and Fer is also 6'2

Their back three are all 6,2 or above (one is 6'4) and Abrahams is 6'4

So a fairly tall team and dangerous from set plays. That's why I'd play Lacelles LeJeune and Clark for that added security and height. Yedlin I do really rate and although not great deffensively his pace seems to get him out of trouble and he's very effective going forward.

As I say not going to be too harsh on Maquillo as has been ok thus far and decent going forwards just think he switches off a bit defensively at times so feel safer with Clark there.