Swansea City vs. Newcastle United - 10/09/17 @ 4pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

He always states he prefers 4231 for the extra control in midfield, so I'm not sure why he's averse to a 433 really. Perez always seems hellbent on making it 442.

He would get that extra control with a middle of Shelvey, Merino and Hayden as opposed to the likely Perez, Shelvey and Hayden. I think when we are playing away from home that might be the better way to go with Shelvey a little more advanced than the other two. The sad fact is though, Perez is our only real number 10 right now, who's his back up now that Diame has been moved back to a more withdrawn role ?

He always states he prefers 4231 for the extra control in midfield, so I'm not sure why he's averse to a 433 really. Perez always seems hellbent on making it 442.

He would get that extra control with a middle of Shelvey, Merino and Hayden as opposed to the likely Perez, Shelvey and Hayden. I think when we are playing away from home that might be the better way to go with Shelvey a little more advanced than the other two. The sad fact is though, Perez is our only real number 10 right now, who's his back up now that Diame has been moved back to a more withdrawn role ?

Is none, unless you're going to give Murphy or Ritchie a look in there.

Their signings at the end of the window will make this a tough one. Sanchez would improve most sides in the Premier, and while Bony isn't what he was, he's still got a better record in the Premier than anything we've got. We'll really need Rafa's managerial nous to get us points here.

Assuming De Yedlin and Dummett not fit yet but LeJeune is (if not fit move Clark across to CB and Mbember LB again:

I'd go with this: (Rafa will almost certainly go with ELLIOTT).

Shelvey a deeper lying no 10 slotting his perfect though balls to our players making forward runs past him and even getting forward himself to have a crack if space opens up.

Darlow

Manquillo  Lascelles.  Lejeune.  Clark

Merino.        Hayden   

Shelvey               

Atsu.                                      Aaron's

Gayle/Joselu

Dropping Ritchie after he was arguably our best player last game?

I think Rafa might start the above team with the exception of ELLIOTT and Ritchie in for Darlow and Aarons.

Will Shelvey come straight back in and if so who for ? Hard to say 50/50 guess.

I know he is a lot of Toon fans favourite player but just can't see Ritchie being as effective in the Premiership.... particularly against the better teams Chelsea, Spurs,  the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal etc

Ritchie is very hard working and very intelligent, good taking set pieces but for all his bluster, puffing and panting he is not particularly big strong or fast or going to beat premiership defensive players.

Aaron's and Atsu really are very quick,  skillfull, able to open teams up and I think better equipped to hurt premiership defences.

Ritchie may prove me wrong some games and he is Rafas choice it seems at the moment. It's just my personal opinion.

I think Rafa might start the above team with the exception of ELLIOTT and Ritchie in for Darlow and Aarons.

I know he is a lot of Toon fans favourite player but just can't see Ritchie being as effective in the Premiership.... particularly against the better teams Chelsea, Spurs,  the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal etc

Ritchie is very hard working and very intelligent, good taking set pieces but for all his bluster, puffing and panting he is not particularly big strong or fast or going to beat premiership defensive players.

Aaron's and Atsu really are very quick,  skillfull, able to open teams up and I think better equipped to hurt premiership defences.

Ritchie may prove me wrong some games and he is Rafas choice it seems at the moment. It's just my personal opinion.

I think he'll be vital against the bigger clubs, for his graft alone. He'll obviously have less impact going forward but his graft will be invaluable in defence.

His a quick thinker too, which will give us an advantage in counter attacking.

Remember his pass for Atsu last season. That shit could win us 3 points after a resilient defensive display.

I think he'll be vital against the bigger clubs, for his graft alone. He'll obviously have less impact going forward but his graft will be invaluable in defence.

His a quick thinker too, which will give us an advantage in counter attacking.

Remember his pass for Atsu last season. That s*** could win us 3 points after a resilient defensive display.

Yes to be fair that was a great assist last season, absolutely sublime and yes Ritchie is a very good passer of the ball as well and he is pretty good at getting back defensively, although not particularly strong or fast player so can be beaten. He certainly had quality.

But we have at least Lejeune, Merino, Shelvey, Manquillo who all play in deeper roles and look to be very good passers and looking for runners in forward positions to make those killer passes to. Playing killer passes out to quick runners on the wings can really help us open teams up and my concern is Ritchie against better quality players could be very ineffective in many games this season being up against higher calibre opposition.

If Joselu is starting up top that means there is ONLY really Atsu making quick runs up top which opposition teams will start to quickly figure out and look to nullify this. At least if Aarons is playing it gives our best passers another really quick runner to aim for up top.

Shelvey has to play for me as he is our best player in my opinion and I have high hopes for Merino who has just scored for the Spanish U21's and Hayden has been fantastic thus far. Perez just hasn't really made that number 10 spot his own and is weak on the ball with frustratingly inconsistent passes that's why I'm thinking Shelvey could do a job for us there but he prefers quick runners like Gayle and Atsu, Aarons in front of him making forward runs could be a quite a lethal combo.

Creativity was a huge problem for us and in my opinion cost us the match against decent Huddersfield side and I can see it being a problem again. I could have seen us picking up a point or three with Aarons in the side that day.

Ok creativity clearly wasn't so much of a problem in our last game. Albeit against an unorganised woefull West Ham team who have conceded 10 goals in their 3 premiership games thus far.

I dont see Shelvey playing number 10, especially since Perez had a decent gane vs West Ham.

Shelvey will start from the bench in my opinion. A perfect opportunity to teach him a lesson.

He will be back starting before long.

Elliot

Manquillo Lejeune Clark Mbemba

Merino

Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Atsu

Joselu

Can we play Merino, Shelvey and Hayden?

Yes we can play those three in my opinion. Perez has not been overly convincing. They are our best three midfielders. My thinking is which one is best equipped  to play the more advanced role.

Quite a good team pick and I like the formation just lacks a bit of pace up top though in my opinion. That would be my only real criticism.

I dont see Shelvey playing number 10, especially since Perez had a decent gane vs West Ham.

Shelvey will start from the bench in my opinion. A perfect opportunity to teach him a lesson.

Shelvey would be wasted playing that high up the field. His passes from deep are one of his key strengths.

Shelvey would be wasted playing that high up the field. His passes from deep are one of his key strengths.

Not against Swansea obvs, but against teams who are likely to keep us pinned in, he'd naturally be drawn deeper. Might work.