Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Think Saudi clubs along with similarities to China and MLS is that they just don't have the history associated with them like the European and South American clubs do and throwing a lot of money at players in a few transfer windows won't change that overnight

If they want mass market adoption which is questionable, then the best money they could spend would be getting someone like scudamore to help build the league. 

That being said, I don’t think they are courting the western markets at all. 

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ah, see now this is the thing. If they stick to those restrictions then you may be right. Not sure they will though.

I mean, you’d have to be sure they wouldn’t, if you think the below…

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Think most of the top players end up there eventually.

And it becomes a version of the super league where they all battle against each other on various teams.

And because so much top talent is there going against each other it will be incredibly popular.

So presumably they (1) ditch the foreign player restrictions (2) ditch the smaller, provincial clubs and (3) create a handful of new clubs? So players and brands are even more interchangeable and meaningless and the supporters in the ground are even less engaged?

I’m not convinced.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

If they want mass market adoption which is questionable, then the best money they could spend would be getting someone like scudamore to help build the league. 

That being said, I don’t think they are courting the western markets at all. 

Think they hired the ex Chelsea guy Emenalo to develop and build the league if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure they are particularly concerned about Western markets like you say. Middle East, Africa and South American markets will likely be where they will get the majority interest from.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

South Americans will watch it? Not sure about anywhere else but Brazilians seem fairly passionate about their own league. 

Guess if they watch any PL they can watch Saudi instead. 

I think if anymore of star Brazilian players are there they will.

I end up watching leagues I don't particularly follow, mostly because I want to see any Nigerian players that are getting some buzz, and kind of get into it a bit more from there.

21 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How exciting watching teams with a couple of "top" talents battling out against each other when they all share the same owner. No one will give a shite about their league. 

:lol:

There's a big world out there outside of Europe man. 

If anything it will be south Asia and parts of Africa that the Saudi league is flogged to: fans already watching foreign leagues and Saudi offers a slightly better time zone 

South American, US and European fans have their own leagues and interests already.

But South Asia and Africa is a big big market! It’s all the Saudis need, 

1 minute ago, WilliamPS said:

If anything it will be south Asia and parts of Africa that the Saudi league is flogged to: fans already watching foreign leagues and Saudi offers a slightly better time zone 

South American, US and European fans have their own leagues and interests already.

But South Asia and Africa is a big big market! It’s all the Saudis need, 

Is there actually any money in the African market though?

51 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Don’t Brazilians if they watch other Leagues, generally watch and support Benfica?

I heard that Italians, if they watch other leagues, generally watch and support Scunthorpe United.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Is there actually any money in the African market though?

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Google it.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/broadcast-ott/media-rights/premier-league-supersport-south-africa-2025-tv-rights-deal-extension/

Only figure mentioned (don’t know about the details) is £168M per year for the whole of sub-Saharan Africa - that was in 2017. Not insignificant. Current domestic deal is roughly 10x as much though. Looking at the domestic deals on Wiki, the closest comparable deal in  terms of value is probably what Brazil pays for its own league (£171M per season).

Edited by leffe186

9 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/broadcast-ott/media-rights/premier-league-supersport-south-africa-2025-tv-rights-deal-extension/

Only figure mentioned (don’t know about the details) is £168M per year for the whole of sub-Saharan Africa - that was in 2017. Not insignificant. Current domestic deal is roughly 10x as much though. Looking at the domestic deals on Wiki, the closest comparable deal in  terms of value is probably what Brazil pays for its own league (£171M per season).

Super Sport carries the rights across sub Saharan Africa, so they pay for the rights, yeah.

Be interesting to know what other foreign regions pay for the Premier League rights, and how they compare.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Super Sport carries the rights across sub Saharan Africa, so they pay for the rights, yeah.

Be interesting to know what other foreign regions pay for the Premier League rights, and how they compare.

Roughly €50m per year in the nordics I think three years ago for the Premier League. 

*massive typo originally

Edited by Flip

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If we’re looking at what “Africa” might pay for the Saudi league, it would be more instructive to know what they pay for other leagues tbh.

Edited by leffe186