Other clubs' transfers

Greg

10 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Just to clarify though, what do you think is going to transpire?

Think most of the top players end up there eventually.

And it becomes a version of the super league where they all battle against each other on various teams.

And because so much top talent is there going against each other it will be incredibly popular.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And it becomes a version of the super league where they all battle against each other on various teams.

And because so much top talent is there going against each other it will be incredibly popular.

Aye. Initially it'll be a golden sands retirement home for top players. And in 5 years it'll be like when you used to make your own teams on Pro Evo.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think endgame is Saudi teams are involved in some type of international super league that supersedes the champions league.  

You can’t replace Real Madrid and Man U, Juventus. But like City, Chelsea and potentially us - you can sit alongside them.  

I think this is the most plausible scenario. Can’t see the Saudi domestic league ever becoming the most popular league. However, there’ll be a lot of top clubs that will like the money on offer from a Saudi-led super league. I think it’s almost guaranteed that SA will aim for that, what would stop it from happening? National leagues blocking entry to their clubs? Football is already ruined financially in lots of ways but if that came to pass I think I’d struggle to stay interested

51 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can't believe you're laughing at people's tunnel vision and come out with unsubstantiated stuff like this. You've no evidence to suggest there is much appetite to spend an entire career there.

A large proportion of the best players in the world are European and south american, they drink, their partners are lingerie models, pop stars...culturally it just doesn't make any sense. People say the best players will never move to Newcastle :lol: imagine living somewhere that women under the age of 21 can't leave the house without a male guardian. Somewhere your gorgeous lingerie model wife can't work, can't go out partying. Anyone with their wages would rather live in London, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Munich, New York, LA...unless you're Muslim, of course, which seems to be the profile of player they're having success with signing.

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think this is the most plausible scenario. Can’t see the Saudi domestic league ever becoming the most popular league. However, there’ll be a lot of top clubs that will like the money on offer from a Saudi-led super league. I think it’s almost guaranteed that SA will aim for that, what would stop it from happening? National leagues blocking entry to their clubs? Football is already ruined financially in lots of ways but if that came to pass I think I’d struggle to stay interested

Aye Saudi league doesn’t need to be #1.  It won’t take much for it to become too 5-6 globally. 

@Jimburst so far South Americans are flocking to Saudi.  They have zero loyalty to European football.  All these Brazilian players rocking up to midtable PL clubs - they’ve never heard of them.  They are moving for the money and the exposure. 

For European players it’s a harder sell. But already some have made the move.  

Lifestyle will be an issue. But players girlfriends working is not one of them :laugh: I know it’s not the same but I know a few people living in Abu Dhabi and having the time of their lives. I’m sure there’s plenty of places for the lads to spend their milllions. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, Jimburst said:

Can't believe you're laughing at people's tunnel vision and come out with unsubstantiated stuff like this. You've no evidence to suggest there is much appetite to spend an entire career there.

A large proportion of the best players in the world are European and south american, they drink, their partners are lingerie models, pop stars...culturally it just doesn't make any sense. People say the best players will never move to Newcastle :lol: imagine living somewhere that women under the age of 21 can't leave the house without a male guardian. Somewhere your gorgeous lingerie model wife can't work, can't go out partying. Anyone with their wages would rather live in London, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Munich, New York, LA...unless you're Muslim, of course, which seems to be the profile of player they're having success with signing.

Bruh ... you clearly don't know anything about that region or know anyone that works there.

All these things you think aren't 'permitted' go on at a much grander scale than you can fathom behind closed doors.

Those crazy princes order women off Instagram like they are Uber eats and fly them out into the dessert for all sorts of debauchery and madness.

Look into it.

4 minutes ago, kocunar said:

Obviously there are religious differences, but from what I've heard, most south European people fit in pretty well in Saudi Arabia.

There are places they get to do whatever they want, especially if you are well off, and you are people that they want over there. It's just not out in the open and in your face.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Bella Kotchap at Southampton linked with Dortmund and Bayern.

Don't often see someone get relegated to then move to such an elite club

I remember early in the season there was a lot of fuss being made about him at Southampton and he was looking really good. Not sure when it fell off, probably with all the managerial changes etc.

Was very highly rated in Germany when Southampton bought him, and he's still quite young, so kind of makes sense German clubs have come in.

There was an article saying Ashworth recommended him as the young RCB to bring in but Howe wasn't as keen on him.

Saudi Arabia is very different from the rest of the Middle East. Anyone using Dubai or Abu Dhabi as a reference point doesn't really get it. And any footballer going there on that basis is in for a shock too.

I've been to the middle east 20 times I think? Indeed I've just come back from Qatar this morning. I think I've been to Saudi 10 times, often for a month at a time, variously to Riyadh, Jeddah and Dhahran. Most of the other places, even Qatar, are westernised to an extent. Even in Qatar I could buy a beer in the hotel. Saudi is a completely dry country - beer isn't difficult to get, it's just not sold, not anywhere. It's illegal to own or sell or make or buy. No doubt you could smuggle some in, but that doesn't seem very sensible given the penalties. People will do it, sure, but taking those risks just to get a beer will become very boring very quickly. They take their faith VERY seriously out there.

In most parts of the middle east there's at least something to do or fancy things to go look at. There's NOTHING to do in Saudi. It's just sand, a few shopping malls, oppressive heat and constant prayers. That's not to denigrate the country, I have met some wonderful people out there who I now consider good friends, it's just a fact. Boredom is very real out there because once I finish working (Normal working hours there are stupid, like 06:00 to 13:00) there's just nothing whatsoever to do in the afternoons. Even the internet is heavily censored so it's hard to even spend your afternoons in a debauched few hours of self abuse. :lol: And yes, I know about VPNs. But it just gives you an idea what you're dealing with there.

As for their football league, I suspect it will go the way of China. It's a vanity project but ultimately fans (almost entirely) support clubs, not players, and nobody gives a shit that Ronaldo is playing there now. How many of his full matches has anyone on here tuned in for? I'd reckon a sum total of 0. Same for all the other players at the other clubs. Ultimately, nobody gives a toss about who wins their league except the locals. The clubs have no history and no pedigree. With their clubs never playing ours, they can't establish one either and anyone playing there will be forgotten about. It's a footballing graveyard and a massive money sink.

Their only hope is to get some kind of meaningful competition going with external European clubs on a regular basis, but it'll take 5-10 years of that before the fixtures start to have some history and meaning, and they'll have to keep throwing endless money at it in that time. Unless or until that happens, they'll pump another few hundred billion into it and then slowly realise it was a stupid idea. However I'd be surprised if FIFA or UEFA went for that, as they should know that could tip the power balance towards the middle east so would be sensible to tell them to get lost. But then of course they're hardly immune to bribery, so I guess we'll see a super league next year haha.

Edited by Chris_R

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

How much top talent though?

There are 18 teams in the league. Four were promoted last year. Currently they can have 8 foreign nationals each. So that’s a max of 144 foreign nationals.

I don’t know how many teams are paying the big bucks. Someone can enlighten us. But last year only four teams had average attendances of >10K. Only one team was >18K. With the changes it looks like there are six top teams now (just based on attendance). That’s 48 foreign nationals.

So that’s max 48 top talent foreign nationals playing for six clubs. And a ton of small clubs with a handful of fans, many playing in more obscure parts of the country. Maybe they ditch some of the smaller clubs and increase the number of foreign players. Then there’s a handful of clubs playing each other again and again with interchangeable players and brands.

I’m not convinced.

50 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Bruh ... you clearly don't know anything about that region or know anyone that works there.

All these things you think aren't 'permitted' go on at a much grander scale than you can fathom behind closed doors.

Those crazy princes order women off Instagram like they are Uber eats and fly them out into the dessert for all sorts of debauchery and madness.

Look into it.

I don't think you know the slightest thing about it. 

I have a lot of Bahraini and Omani friends actually, as well as being married into a Muslim family. I've got a decent idea of the differences between Saudi Arabia and the UAE, for example. You can refer to @Chris_R 's post if you want to hear from someone who has more experience than yourself on the subject :)

7 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

How much top talent though?

There are 18 teams in the league. Four were promoted last year. Currently they can have 8 foreign nationals each. So that’s a max of 144 foreign nationals.

I don’t know how many teams are paying the big bucks. Someone can enlighten us. But last year only four teams had average attendances of >10K. Only one team was >18K. With the changes it looks like there are six top teams now (just based on attendance). That’s 48 foreign nationals.

So that’s max 48 top talent foreign nationals playing for six clubs. And a ton of small clubs with a handful of fans, many playing in more obscure parts of the country. Maybe they ditch some of the smaller clubs and increase the number of foreign players. Then there’s a handful of clubs playing each other again and again with interchangeable players and brands.

I’m not convinced.

Ah, see now this is the thing. If they stick to those restrictions then you may be right. Not sure they will though.

2 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

I don't think you know the slightest thing about it. 

I have a lot of Bahraini and Omani friends actually, as well as being married into a Muslim family. I've got a decent idea of the differences between Saudi Arabia and the UAE, for example. You can refer to @Chris_R 's post if you want to hear from someone who has more experience than yourself on the subject :)

That's why in my post you will see I said 'the region'.

They just fly out to the areas they can do as they please. Dubai bein particularly notorious for it.