Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2024 at 13:55, Deuce said:

Great player, tricky little fekir.

Ohh I’d take him. Feels like a player who either gets injured a lot or picks and chooses the games he’ll play. I’d take him just for the quality alone. 

Edited by Astroblack

6 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Unai getting that Villa team ready for Cl and rotation options. Smart.

Can he rotate that fixed size squad if say 6,7 or more first teamers are out ?

Posted (edited)

Kudos to Barkley. What a comeback. Could be a great value rotation option for them. 

Edited by wormy

Who do Villa think is buying Diego Carlos and taking on his wages? I hope Saudi stay away.

The one thing I don't understand about Villa's strategy is they have signed a good few older players (Digne, Moreno, Carlos) and then a few high wage free transfers. They will be hard to shift.

They do have a good academy they can continue to flog. But that's short-term thinking.

I've just checked and their average age is a lot younger than ours so I'm probably wrong somewhere. Must be the Pope/Dubs, Trippier, Schar, Burn, Wilson, Dummett, Ritchie.

The core of the side is a great age mind. It's really only Schar (not counting Pope as old for a GK) that doesn't have a younger model ready-made to replace him.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Completely blanked out that Barkley used to play for villa

Most people completely blank out his entire career between Everton and Luton, tbf.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Who do Villa think is buying Diego Carlos and taking on his wages? I hope Saudi stay away.

The one thing I don't understand about Villa's strategy is they have signed a good few older players (Digne, Moreno, Carlos) and then a few high wage free transfers. They will be hard to shift.

They do have a good academy they can continue to flog. But that's short-term thinking.

I've just checked and their average age is a lot younger than ours so I'm probably wrong somewhere. Must be the Pope/Dubs, Trippier, Schar, Burn, Wilson, Dummett, Ritchie.

The core of the side is a great age mind. It's really only Schar (not counting Pope as old for a GK) that doesn't have a younger model ready-made to replace him.

I don't think the average age of the squad matters so much when it's mostly being inflated by players we don't want anymore and a few defenders / GKs. We obviously need a stronger pipeline of young players, but we're getting there.

Similar to what you're getting at I continue to feel like Villa is walking a tightrope (very well so far, of course). It could all work spectacularly, but it feels to me it could as easily go south.

3 hours ago, Jack27 said:

I really hope this is true.

What an astute signing. We're going to have to work with FFP and he's exactly the sort of player Unai improves hugely.

He tailed off for us but watching (on telly, bad Covid season) him and Grealish rip Arsenal a new one at the Emirates was marvellous stuff.

Would add squad depth, I hope it happens.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

How is producing decent academy players short term thinking?

I'd disagree entirely. It's long term, clever thinking and absolutely essential these days. It's one big difference between you and us. We've been doing very well out of it, I can't remember the last time you sold a home grown player for decent money. Unless I'm missing someone.

I also don't get the point about Digne - he's been superb for us this season whilst Moreno has been largely injured, but Moreno too is decent.

Carlos is shite, but someone will buy him. He has attributes, just not the ones Emery likes.

Gerrard signing. Worth remembering, Emery has signed Moreno, Diaby, Zaniolo (loan), Pau Torres (absolutely immense and vital to how we play) and Morgan Rogers (looks a snip at 15m). He hasn't done a huge amount of business, but they've all looked the part, bar Zaniolo, and we'll be sending him back whence he came.

Although tbf, Gerrard did sign Kamara, and him doing his ACL had a huge negative effect on our season.

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

So funny the different reaction to Barkley from us and from wor Brummie. :lol: 

We, and you, are going to have to work the system.

Our (ours and yours) fans are going to have to realise it will be about smart transfer moves, too, not just spunking money everywhere.

Also, I've seen Barkley play for us already.

TBF, I reckon Emery could turn me into a decent PL player, and I can't run further than the end of the road.

11 minutes ago, brummie said:

How is producing decent academy players short term thinking?

I'd disagree entirely. It's long term, clever thinking and absolutely essential these days. It's one big difference between you and us. We've been doing very well out of it, I can't remember the last time you sold a home grown player for decent money. Unless I'm missing someone.

I also don't get the point about Digne - he's been superb for us this season whilst Moreno has been largely injured, but Moreno too is decent.

Carlos is shite, but someone will buy him. He has attributes, just not the ones Emery likes.

Gerrard signing. Worth remembering, Emery has signed Moreno, Diaby, Zaniolo (loan), Pau Torres (absolutely immense and vital to how we play) and Morgan Rogers (looks a snip at 15m). He hasn't done a huge amount of business, but they've all looked the part, bar Zaniolo, and we'll be sending him back whence he came.

Although tbf, Gerrard did sign Kamara, and him doing his ACL had a huge negative effect on our season.

Selling high potential academy players to fund signing players 26+ is short term thinking. I don’t think you will continue to sign players of that age on big wages. 

Carlos wages makes him hard to shift. He’s not going to get £100k in La Liga. 

Digne, Tielemans, Moreno, Carlos - these are players with poor release value in Europe. And if you can shift them, the fees will be moderate due to age.  

Again - that might not matter because you have a productive academy to offset.