Other clubs' transfers

Greg

53 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Depends on the fit. 

We're not in a position to be spending £50 million plus on an understudy for Schar, we'd probably feel obliged to start him at the price. By all accounts he's very talented, but still has a lot to learn 

I've seen more of Zirkzee, really interested to see how he gets on. Looks a good footballer, but not an out and out goalscorer. He'd definitely offer us another dimension off the bench but we'd need to upgrade Almiron to get the best from him.

Yoro is going to play. 

Hate all this chat of how Newcastle aren't in the position to do this and that as well. You've already spent £65m on understudy full backs have you not? 

We have to sell the same as you and are still dangerously close to breaching PSR. Greenwood, Kambwala, Van De Beek and Fernandez have all been sold and with Casemiro likely to follow. Listening to offers for McTominay as well. 

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Few on here kidding themselves me thinks, if we’d signed Zirkzee and Yoro we’d be fucking buzzing.

They’re getting it right signing young hungry players unfortunately and have the finances to take gambles unlike us.

Same stuff was being said on here when Chelsea were spending a billion.

I'm far from convinced with their approach, so we'll see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Yoro is going to play. 

Hate all this chat of how Newcastle aren't in the position to do this and that as well. You've already spent £65m on understudy full backs have you not? 

We have to sell the same as you and are still dangerously close to breaching PSR. Greenwood, Kambwala, Van De Beek and Fernandez have all been sold and with Casemiro likely to follow. Listening to offers for McTominay as well. 

I'll bite.

Your commercial revenue far exceeds our own. We're hamstring because PSR is preventing us from growing, as opposed to poor spending and an enormous wage bill.

Yes, last season we spent circa £30-£35 million on full backs who weren't instant starters, but it's not £100 million and I can guarantee their wages won't be as high.

Don't get me wrong, if Yoro fulfills his potential he'll be far better than Schar, but it sounds like he'll need to time and patience to develop and play through his errors.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What approach KaKa? Signing young but established players in positions we're short in? 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'll bite.

Your commercial revenue far exceeds our own. We're hamstring because PSR is preventing us from growing, as opposed to poor spending and an enormous wage bill.

Yes, last season we spent circa £30-£35 million on full backs who weren't instant starters, but it's not £100 million and I can guarantee their wages won't be as high.

Don't get me wrong, if Yoro fulfills his potential he'll be far better than Schar, but it sounds like he'll need to time and patience to develop and play through his errors.

But again, Yoro won't be coming in to sit on the bench like Hall has. He'll be starting. 

Official fees say we've signed Zirkzee and Yoro for €104.5m+€8m in add ons. 

We've sold Greenwood, Kambwala, Fernandez and Van de Beek for €42.5m with €26m in potential add ons, plus extremely high sell on clauses and buy back clauses for everyone except Van De Beek. 

So our net spend is about £50m at the minute and we've signed two exciting, young but already established players. With these sales and the releases of Martial and Varane, that's £40m a year in saved wages as well.

If people are trying to suggest this is anything other than good business, they're beyond delusional. 

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

But again, Yoro won't be coming in to sit on the bench like Hall has. He'll be starting. 

We've sold Greenwood, Kambwala, Fernandez and Van de Beek for €42.5m with €26m in potential add ons, plus extremely high sell on clauses and buy back clauses for everyone except Van De Beek. 

So our net spend is about £50m at the minute and we've signed two exciting, young but already established players. With these sales and the releases of Martial and Varane, that's £40m a year in saved wages as well.

If people are trying to suggest this is anything other than good business, they're beyond delusional. 

I agree, it is actually very good business. Annoyingly 

One huge saving grace for last year was the emergence of Garnacho and Mainoo, two 60M+ starters now - from the academy. There would have been much more rebuilding to do had they not come through when they did

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You're misrepresentating my original point though.

I was responding to a post about whether these signings would be a good fit for Newcastle. At this moment in time, given our overall squad needs, along with the prices and wages involved, they'd be non-starters. It wasn't a comment about Man United.

Just now, kingxlnc said:

I agree, it is actually very good business. Annoyingly 

One huge saving grace for last year was the emergence of Garnacho and Mainoo, two 60M+ starters now - from the academy. There would have been much more rebuilding to do had they not come through when they did

Mainoo mainly. If Ugarte comes in the midfield is looking very secure for at least another 3-4 years until Bruno needs replaced. 

We actually bought Garnacho too. One of the rare success stories pre-INEOS. £500k from Atletico. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I was responding to a post about whether these signings would be a good fit for Newcastle. At this moment in time, given our overall squad needs, along with the prices and wages involved, they'd be non-starters. It wasn't a comment about Man United.

Obviously right wing is very important for you, but Schar and Burn are 32 plus Lascelles isn't getting any younger. Botman might not come back as good as he was before. 

I think a CB is going to be an important recruit for you in the near future and personally believe Yoro would be an incredible signing for you. 

Zirkzee I can understand though, as Isak is obviously better and if Wilson is fit he's a capable backup. 

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It’s not the same as Chelsea it’s not dissimilar to the bet we took on Bruno, Isak and Botman, young talent playing in Europe just below the top tier of player.

I’m impressed by their business to be honest.

Just now, Froggy said:

Mainoo mainly. If Ugarte comes in the midfield is looking very secure for at least another 3-4 years until Bruno needs replaced. 

We actually bought Garnacho too. One of the rare success stories pre-INEOS. £500k from Atletico. 

Obviously right wing is very important for you, but Schar and Burn are 32 plus Lascelles isn't getting any younger. Botman might not come back as good as he was before. 

I think a CB is going to be an important recruit for you in the near future and personally believe Yoro would be an incredible signing for you. 

Zirkzee I can understand though, as Isak is obviously better and if Wilson is fit he's a capable backup. 

We want a plug and play CB. The reason other clubs didn't go for Yoro apparently was because they didn't think he'd be able to go from the off.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

IMG_5881.thumb.jpeg.5bf7a55e92615510b7e65444317a6657.jpeg

Sub the LFC badge out for a Man Utd one and it’s @Froggy’s raison d’etre on this forum.

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s not the same as Chelsea it’s not dissimilar to the bet we took on Bruno, Isak and Botman, young talent playing in Europe just below the top tier of player.

I’m impressed by their business to be honest.

Chelsea's whole model has been buying young prospects from everywhere. A number of who were teenagers without much experience, similar to Yoro.

It is nothing like what we did when we bought Bruno, Isak and Botman. They were all older, more experienced players that we bought at far better value.

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

IMG_5881.thumb.jpeg.5bf7a55e92615510b7e65444317a6657.jpeg

Sub the LFC badge out for a Man Utd one and it’s @Froggy’s raison d’etre on this forum.

Posters talking about Manchester United signings in the other clubs transfers thread. 

Outrage as Manchester United fan replies with his opinion about Manchester United's transfers. 

Do you want a hug @Nucasol

33 minutes ago, Froggy said:

What approach KaKa? Signing young but established players in positions we're short in? 

Signing players that don't seem to be addressing immediate concerns in the first team.

47 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Yoro is going to play. 

Make your mind up...

At the minute Martinez and Yoro would probably be the starters but you don't want an 18 year old playing 50-60 games a year either. 

If De Ligt comes in then he'd start with Martinez, and then Yoro would be the next rotation option

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Signing players that don't seem to be addressing immediate concerns in the first team.

We'll just have to agree to disagree in this case, as myself and indeed all of our fans believe these are in areas of concern. 

Defensive midfield is the most pressing concern, but it appears we've been working away at that and it's next. 

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Genuine question, I might be wrong. But didn’t you defend us going for Hall and Livramento? Or maybe that was someone else, like quite a few. Not too dissimilar imo. I’m happy that we have Hall/Tino just to be clear. Despite them not being 1st team choices. 

Edited by Ikon

5 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Make your mind up...

... What are you not getting? All of that is consistent. :lol:

Yoro is going to play, but you want options so he doesn't play 50-60 games as an 18 year old. 

At the minute Martinez and Yoro would be the starters.

If De Ligt came in that would likely change.

Edited by Froggy

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Genuine question, I might be wrong. But didn’t you defend us going for Hall and Livramento? Or maybe that was someone else, like quite a few. Not too dissimilar imo. I’m happy that we have Hall/Tino just to be clear. Despite them not being 1st team choices. 

Might come as no surprise but I thought they were both good signings. :lol:

We get criticised for being short sighted and signing players like Casemiro. We also get criticised for signing top young players like Yoro. Can't win. 

We must only be allowed to sign players aged 23-27 who are already in their prime. 

19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Chelsea's whole model has been buying young prospects from everywhere. A number of who were teenagers without much experience, similar to Yoro.

It is nothing like what we did when we bought Bruno, Isak and Botman. They were all older, more experienced players that we bought at far better value.

I think Zirkzee would fall under the category of Bruno, Isak and Botman, yes Yoro is a gamble but I’d be fucking delighted if we’d signed him as our CB this summer.

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Our first 11 was pretty much set, outside of the right wing. At the time I was then expecting us to use Gordon there with Barnes coming in.

Trippier is getting on and needed a quality backup behind him, which Tino was, and for a decent fee.

Burn had locked down the left back role, with Targett still in the mix, but with both not really being long term options, we signed Hall as another option, on an initial loan that got confirmed this year at a decent fee.

Man Utd have just spent £52 million rising to £59 million on an 18 year old centre back with a year's experience in Ligue 1, who was in the last year of his contract, and given him £115,000 a week wages from his £5,000 a week wages at Lille.

Now that is all perfectly fine, but I am not going to let @Froggy keep harping on about how the new structure are being more sensible and all that nonsense. Also I don't want to hear him complaining about the squad not being up to par later in the season and making excuses like he always does, after doing these sort of deals.