Other clubs' transfers

Greg

5 minutes ago, buzza said:

I think he will be lucky to control that changing room, lots of egos and seems like lots of different wants/needs from players. Too many moaners and not enough positive team players. Could be the end of his career also...

I don't believe the core problem at Manchester United is the actual players. Easy scapegoat.

The core problem is senior management of the club - that is likely to persist.

Secondary is their last 2 managers were horrendously underqualified for the job. Ten Hag being a competant manager will be worth 10 points this season alone. 

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Chelsea are currently much weaker. Granted, the players they're linked with would make them stronger, but why are we basing their transfer window on rumours, but not ours?

We don't have a track record of bringing in players of the highest quality and we don't have many strong links after Botman anyway,.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't believe the core problem at Manchester United is the actual players. Easy scapegoat.

The core problem is senior management of the club - that is likely to persist.

Secondary is their last 2 managers were horrendously underqualified for the job. Ten Hag being a competant manager will be worth 10 points this season alone. 

Well the two are related, the squad is unbalanced and lacks some key parts because of the lack of plan at the higher levels of the club. 

15 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well the two are related, the squad is unbalanced and lacks some key parts because of the lack of plan at the higher levels of the club. 

There's enough talent in the squad to challenge for top 4 with 1 or 2 good additions and a good manager.

It's the same argument. "The players are toxic and they are all shit". I don't buy it.

I do agree that they are unlikely to get it "right" but there's not much scope for getting it more wrong. Although I didn't get the Eriksen chase. They've already got Fernandes - it's like they've written him off already.

Edited by The College Dropout

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We don't have a track record of bringing in players of the highest quality and we don't have many strong links after Botman anyway,.

I get that, I just don't understand why everyone is claiming Chelsea are now stronger. They've lost their best defender (probably their best player) and have no strikers.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I get that, I just don't understand why everyone is claiming Chelsea are now stronger. They've lost their best defender (probably their best player) and have no strikers.

Aye there's lots of question marks around Chelsea. To say they've strengthened at this point isn't true.

But they'll finish comfortably in the top 6. Even Frankie managed that. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye there's lots of question marks around Chelsea. To say they've strengthened at this point isn't true.

But they'll finish comfortably in the top 6. Even Frankie managed that. 

Absolutely. Top 6 won't change this season imo.

1 hour ago, buzza said:

In my opinion there will be a very strong top ten this season and a much weaker bottom half:

strengthened :

Citeh

Liverpool

Chelsea

Arsenal

Spurs

Villa

Newcastle

West ham

Will be quite difiicult to get into euro spots. We should be aiming for top six, and happy with a euro spot, but unhappy at eight...

Righte winger and back up striker would do it for me

Not convinced that Liverpool have improved. Mane IS great. Nunez may be.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

£34 million for Danjuma is a steal 

I'm not sure about him as a wide man. His touch can be a bit loose. I think he really shone at Villareal last year because they used him upfront quite often. He actually reminds me of Antonio in that sense, and for West Ham if they are looking at ultimately using him upfront as a long term replacement for Antonio then it's a really good signing for them. Not sure he would have suited us.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

The PL is flush with money. It’s a big reason why we haven’t signed any star players from other PL clubs. 30/40m doesn’t get the job done 

This. £30/40M buys you really good young footballers from abroad who might be great in the Premier League but might not (Botman, Guimaraes). £50/60M buys you those players a year or two later.

28 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I was expecting them to implode somewhat following the departure of Abramovich, but I guess the fallout might take a year or two. Should still happen at some point though, so patience needed.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was expecting them to implode somewhat following the departure of Abramovich, but I guess the fallout might take a year or two. Should still happen at some point though, so patience needed.

No debt = no implosion. 

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Just want to say firstly, that I’m happy with our business so far. I do think however that, with other teams making good moves in the market, we could end up spending 100m and still be no further forward (relatively speaking). 

Just goes to show how much money will be required to make that next step up.

Really don't understand why people think this. Think people are just over reacting to other clubs signing players. I think Tottenham probably are the one team that have done some really decent business, but even they still have work to do. Their defence and right wing back spots still need addressing.

Haven't really been particularly moved by anything else that's gone down tbh. Think we'll still be right there in terms of European places outside the top 4.

8 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This. £30/40M buys you really good young footballers from abroad who might be great in the Premier League but might not (Botman, Guimaraes). £50/60M buys you those players a year or two later.

Aye. City have mastered that 50/60m range - Chelsea haven't. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Really don't understand why people think this. Think people are just over reacting to other clubs signing players. I think Tottenham probably are the one team that have done some really decent business, but even they still have work to do. Their defence and right wing back spots still need addressing.

Haven't really been particularly moved by anything else that's gone down tbh. Think we'll still be right there in terms of European places outside the top 4.

Agree. Though, I think Villa have done well. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Bigger issue is they surely don’t need him.  Kane Son Kulu Perisic (ok maybe wingback) Richarlison is big depth. But I thought they need a CM, RWB and a CB more. 

West Ham signings look good. They look like top 6/7 signings. I don’t think we’ve made any ground on them squad wise so far. They have a good squad now. 

Agree with you on West Ham, but they’ve been at that level for a little while now so that’s no surprise. I’ve heard a couple of people try to rein in your expectations and that’s fair, but I think last season showed you have a manager who can help you bridge that gap pretty quickly. Botman alone is a step closer. I don’t think you’ll maintain Top 3/4 form like the second half of last year - the circumstances conspired to help that along somewhat - but I certainly see you in the mix for top six. Home games will be massive for you.

Now for Spurs. There’s a couple of key points I think. First, did you just forget Bissouma? They definitely need a RWB but if they get Spence (as seems likely) that looks like enough. If Richarlison comes then really all they need is one or two CBs to be a real force - as you suggest - and it’s obvious that’s where their money is going to be spent as they’ve been trying for Bastoni, Bremer etc.

Secondly - do Spurs need Richarlison? I’ve seen a few people say “where does he fit in with Son, Kane, Kulu” or words to that effect. That’s not seeing the wood for the trees, surely? The whole point of Richarlison would be that you could play him instead of any one of those three and see less of a drop off than with most “back-up” players. Spurs will expect to play a million games next season, with an entire World Cup in the middle. You’re going to need every last bit of your squad. Then you factor in the change to five subs. That has the potential to fundamentally change the game - at least in the second half - even when every player is fit. Right now, one injury to Son or Kane and you’re looking at Bergwijn or Moura. Ajax heroics aside, Conte’s no fool, he knows he needs more.

5 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Agree. Though, I think Villa have done well. 

Yeah, Villa have made some decent signings, but I'm just not sure how it all comes together.

Wasn't at all impressed with what Gerrard was getting out of the team he had last season, and I wouldn't say the signings they've made necessarily change that too much.

Their forward players really didn't seem to work too well under Gerrard, and he seemed to struggle with figuring out how to have them lined up to get the most out of them.

2 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Top 4 is locked in already, Arsenal and Man U probably have 5-6th sorted then it’s between West Ham, Leicester Wolves and us for 7th downwards.

I disagree to an extent because the World Cup in the middle really puts the cat among the pigeons. We really don’t know what the impact will end up being and I can see bad luck with injuries completely screwing over one or two top sides.