Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

Right...

Our performances from match to match concerns me massively or rather the way we play and has done for a while now, dating back to last season. Every time we take to the pitch we seem to be set up differently each game, be it tactically even if a slight change, or be it with personnel.

There is no consistency to our play or performances and no cohesion. There doesn’t seem to be relationships and patterns of play developing between x or y player in terms of partnerships.

Each player works hard and we rarely lose our shape so we are kind of well drilled in that sense, but that’s about it. What is our style? What are we good at?

It’s difficult of course because our players simply aren't good enough, but this is where Rafa earns his money or should do. Creating a team better than the sum of its parts.

That isn’t the case though as our alarming form demonstrates and I actually feel we would play better and be higher up the table if we were less of a team (strict shape, tactics, role of players, systems etc.) with the sum of our parts doing their thing whatever that is. I.e. our better players being allowed to play more of their own game.

Merino for example is a lovely footballer, but today he may as well have been Colback out there, that’s what he was reduced to.

Rafa should know his best team by now, but he clearly doesn’t and that is another worry. If the back four, midfield and front players keep changing from one game to the next tactically or personnel, that cannot be healthy.

We have in Gayle someone who can score goals, but someone like him needs to play every week. In Shelvey we have a player who can dictate play, but he needs the right players around him and the right set up. Perez and Diame are not players to have around him. Same with Merino who should have the team built around him, but it seems he’s just another cog.

In short I feel Rafa isn’t helping things. He manages everything game by game and that’s all good and well if you have top quality players, but we don’t. He is constantly trying to find the right answers to problems, but perhaps the right answer right now would be to pick an 11, set them up in a system that best suits them and give them a run of games to solve their own problems or more over to give the opposition problems that they have to try and solve.

We are a mess at the moment and we are doing nothing good and lots bad.

We cannot keep blaming the players for not being good enough even if they aren’t. Rafa perhaps the problem is with you...

This is in no way me blaming Rafa for where we are in the table or writing him off by the way. I just feel his methods and ways isn’t helping us at the moment and especially certain players.

Before a ball was kicked this season we all wondered of Gayle would transfer his Championship form to the Premier League, or if Shelvey would step up and become an established quality player at this level for example.

Well as much as they have limitations in ways, how the hell will we ever find out if they get chopped and changed all the time or if their roles change from one game to another?

Right...

Our performances from match to match concerns me massively or rather the way we play and has done for a while now, dating back to last season. Every time we take to the pitch we seem to be set up differently each game, be it tactically even if a slight change, or be it with personnel.

There is no consistency to our play or performances and no cohesion. There doesn’t seem to be relationships and patterns of play developing between x or y player in terms of partnerships.

Each player works hard and we rarely lose our shape so we are kind of well drilled in that sense, but that’s about it. What is our style? What are we good at?

It’s difficult of course because our players simply aren't good enough, but this is where Rafa earns his money or should do. Creating a team better than the sum of its parts.

That isn’t the case though as our alarming form demonstrates and I actually feel we would play better and be higher up the table if we were less of a team (strict shape, tactics, role of players, systems etc.) with the sum of our parts doing their thing whatever that is. I.e. our better players being allowed to play more of their own game.

Merino for example is a lovely footballer, but today he may as well have been Colback out there, that’s what he was reduced to.

Rafa should know his best team by now, but he clearly doesn’t and that is another worry. If the back four, midfield and front players keep changing from one game to the next tactically or personnel, that cannot be healthy.

We have in Gayle someone who can score goals, but someone like him needs to play every week. In Shelvey we have a player who can dictate play, but he needs the right players around him and the right set up. Perez and Diame are not players to have around him. Same with Merino who should have the team built around him, but it seems he’s just another cog.

In short I feel Rafa isn’t helping things. He manages everything game by game and that’s all good and well if you have top quality players, but we don’t. He is constantly trying to find the right answers to problems, but perhaps the right answer right now would be to pick an 11, set them up in a system that best suits them and give them a run of games to solve their own problems or more over to give the opposition problems that they have to try and solve.

We are a mess at the moment and we are doing nothing good and lots bad.

We cannot keep blaming the players for not being good enough even if they aren’t. Rafa perhaps the problem is with you...

This is in no way me blaming Rafa for where we are in the table or writing him off by the way. I just feel his methods and ways isn’t helping us at the moment and especially certain players.

Before a ball was kicked this season we all wondered of Gayle would transfer his Championship form to the Premier League, or if Shelvey would step up and become an established quality player at this level for example.

Well as much as they have limitations in ways, how the hell will we ever find out if they get chopped and changed all the time or if their roles change from one game to another?

The Merino bit ??

I think Mitrovic could do wonders for Gayles game if he could get in the team and partner him up top. The big man little man Tosh Keegan type plan.

I personally wish Rafa would get over this player exile thing he has. I dont rate many of our players including Mitro, but he should  have had the nod more this season especially with Joselu being dreadful. 

Starting to be deja vu with the results. 1 from 18 is taking us into Pardew territory with Leicester and Arsenal next up that could be 1 in 24.

Joselu dropped - Diame in. I think we're having the piss taken out of us.

So, when do we call it as it is?

Starting to be deja vu with the results. 1 from 18 is taking us into Pardew territory with Leicester and Arsenal next up that could be 1 in 24.

Joselu dropped - Diame in. I think we're having the p*ss taken out of us.

Everton had better not been moved, I've got a lieu day in.

Guest Howaythetoon

If only football were that simple.

So what’s the answer then? Just keep chopping and changing, trying out different stuff as has been the status quo and hope it gets enough points on board to stay up? There seems to be a general sense on here that because the squad isn’t good enough or that we don’t have many good players that we should just accept things until we get taken over.

I don’t mind trying out new things or ringing in the changes, but Rafa at least firstly needs to stick on a spine to the team which we don’t really have.

There are huge question marks over what certain players bring to the team and their role. Diame for example today, he is no DCM and no ACM so what was he in the side for? He doesn’t compliment Merino whatsoever.

What does Perez do, what’s his role? To press, run about a bit? He doesnt create, he doesn’t score and the ball certainly doesn’t stick with him and yet he is playing in a prominent position.

Ritchie at left back or left wing back, what the hell was that about? Why drop Yedlin? Because he had a poor game against Watford and WBA? he’s our right back, but let’s drop him and play a CB there who has played LB a few times for us, because Ritchie can play LB.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some of his decisions are political in regards to the takeover and impending January transfer window opening.

Anyway I love Rafa, he’s doing a great job in general, but I just don’t get him and his ways at the moment and it’s obvious some of the players don’t either as they are showing out there on the pitch.

Not sure about your argument HTT, we're have experimented a bit recently but that also coincided with quite a lot of injuries and a couple of really tough games. As well as Gayle returning, a player who Rafa didn't have to think about before but now has to play. Before that our team and our style of play was pretty much consistent. Shelvey deserved to be dropped and so did Yedlin.

Today we probably went for such an experimental system to combat Chelsea specifically, I'm pretty sure Rafa isn't planning to go to 3-5-2 permanently in any way.

I just think we were in a bad run of results, showed character against WBA and then were beaten by Chelsea which would happen even with peak Alex Ferguson in the dugout.

Rafa knows what he's doing, I don't agree with every decision but to paint it as some sort of mess or that he's lost the plot is just wrong.

Some of the comments on here and across social media are a bit disheartening. Rafas a man who takes intense pride in every aspect of his work, he'll be disappointed too. Good to hear the sway contingent singing his name.

A bit disheartening?! They’re f***ing outrageous!

I’m now starting to see why so many people give our fans grief for being thick and having unrealistic expectations. Some of the comments directed at Rafa are an absolute embarrassment.

Problem is, views like this make it appear that Benitez is infallible.  He's making plenty of decisions that several disagree with.  Loads of daft selections, subs, transfers.  I get that he isn't being given a suitable budget to work with, but he has cocked up a lot this year.

Cocked up according to who, you? Other world renowned football experts?

I fucking love this armchair management stuff - ‘obviously we’d have won if Mitro started instead of Joselu and Shelvey played alongside Merino’. The sheer fucking arrogance of it is staggering!

You’re talking about one of the best and most decorated managers in world football! We all have an opinion but being so certain that Rafa got this wrong or that wrong is laughable.

Oh right, no opinions allowed on a football forum.  Gotcha.

You can have your opinions, but if you can question Rafa's opinions, why you getting your knickers in a twist if someone questions yours?

Seriously. It's like when people here bring up their First Amendment rights when you call bullshit on their opinion, not understanding the important point that one has a right to point out that their opinions are utter shit. Manufactured self-victimization...

Joselu dropped - Diame in. I think we're having the p*ss taken out of us.

Everton had better not been moved, I've got a lieu day in.

1 from 27 - it gets worse (yes, I'd forgot about that one)

We should pick our best 11 players and stick with them and a defined shape unless they get injured. Best RB Yedlin, best LB Mbemba, best CB Lascelles and one other. We have three fairly good midfielders who need to play together Merino, Shelvey and Hayden. So unless Rafa pushes Merino into the Perez role means we should play 4-3-3. The front three don't have to be great defenders just close down space, Atsu, Gayle and Murphy. That's got to be better than whatever Rafas trying to do at the moment.

We should pick our best 11 players and stick with them and a defined shape unless they get injured. Best RB Yedlin, best LB Mbemba, best CB Lascelles and one other. We have three fairly good midfielders who need to play together Merino, Shelvey and Hayden. So unless Rafa pushes Merino into the Perez role means we should play 4-3-3. The front three don't have to be great defenders just close down space, Atsu, Gayle and Murphy. That's got to be better than whatever Rafas trying to do at the moment.

You'd use the same tactics for Chelsea away as you would Swansea at home ?

Wasn't that the problem with England under Sven? Cramming all the best players in?

You have to put out the best team you can, not best individuals. Even our best players have massive flaws in their games and need help. Then you factor in the best team to face your opponent. It's not going to be the same.

You pick the same 11 when you believe in them and/or lack alternatives. We have a lot of players of middling ability.

Gayle's probably the most likely to score but offers the least in general play. Joselu the opposite. Mitro somewhere in the middle. We have that issue throughout the team.

Out of last six games, Rafa should get the least share of blame for this one.  We lost simply because our players even unable to make a clearance and kept the ball inside the area. No way a defender in EPL cannot do it.

I hope he works on the teams off the ball movement and positioning between the lines as well as passing angles, we’ve looked so static and predictable and such poor movement really does hurt both Shelvey and Merinos passing ability.

Wasn't that the problem with England under Sven? Cramming all the best players in?

You have to put out the best team you can, not best individuals. Even our best players have massive flaws in their games and need help. Then you factor in the best team to face your opponent. It's not going to be the same.

You pick the same 11 when you believe in them and/or lack alternatives. We have a lot of players of middling ability.

Gayle's probably the most likely to score but offers the least in general play. Joselu the opposite. Mitro somewhere in the middle. We have that issue throughout the team.

At least England were decent under Sven :lol:

Whilst Rafa shouldn't go without criticism he is by far and away the best we can have and probably will have for at least another decade. We've been screwed down into the ground for the last 10 years and that cannot be undone in like 2 years work. The only reason we're 12th and worrying about this is because we have the bloke because otherwise we'd quite easily have been in a similar position to Sunderland. So whilst he can come under criticism unless people can provide worthy and reasonably achievable solutions I don't get why this negativity is creeping in.

We've had dozens of players who don't give a shit and have used us as a stepping stone and we now have players who give a shit and play for the shirt and the fans. They just aren't quite good enough in the majority. Which I'd prefer to having mercenary twats putting half arsed shifts in.

I think people are forgetting Shelvey has been completely unreliable from a discipline point of view and has picked up needless Red and Yellow cards through sheer stupidity. Mitro has come on the pitch and has moaned and whined about every time he has been touched - thus making himself a less considerable option. Rafa has to look to improve these players for the good of the club and the individuals concerned so what benefit is it to a multi-millionaire youngster continuing to play them when actually that's what hits and hurts them most (dropping them). I agree, that's not best for NUFC but it's not without reason. The issue there is the strength in depth of the squad.

Merino has had injuries as has our captain, our arguably best LB and Gayle for the early parts of the season. Our squad wasn't strong enough for the championship and whilst our first 16 was, behind that wasn't. So we already have more than the sum of our parts. We haven't even financially competed with like Huddersfield and Brighton man...

So okay, we lost to Bournemouth at home. Other than that a draw away at West Brom isn't terrible, a defeat away at Burnley isn't all that good but is somewhat understandable given their form and defeats at the hands of last years champions and potentially this year's aren't exactly a surprise. The one game I'd give any of the critics the acceptance of was Watford which was the one game where actually everyone had a bad day at the office...including the fans.

We knew where we'd be this season, in and around relegation. Yet, with 4 games to the halfway mark and some winnable games coming up people are going over critical when we're 5 points from the relegation zone and up in 14th.

People wanted 442 but were toothless in attack so we were opened up and destroyed. So we revert back to type and people complain again. Okay - I'll accept that we did 442 in the wrong games but we also don't have the squad or options to make it work it's as simple as that. It's almost as if Benitez hasn't won cups virtually everywhere he has been.

Honestly man, what do people expect?

Then people spout the line about "had it been Pardew we'd have wanted him sacked" and shit like that. These people should have a fucking word with themselves like. Jesus.

Best thing we can do is focus on getting behind the team whilst all this background shit goes on. If we go down (or even if we don't) and more importantly, aren't sold, this could very well be the last season we have any hope for a long while cause Rafa could walk. Then what's our options?! Fuck me man.

Ashley needs a manager that keeps us up as cheap as possible, he needs an ambitious empire builder such as Rafa like a hole in the head, Rafa is here now because he is an asset to the takeover project, if that falls through he will be go along with the hopes of most fans

Guest Howaythetoon

Not sure about your argument HTT, we're have experimented a bit recently but that also coincided with quite a lot of injuries and a couple of really tough games. As well as Gayle returning, a player who Rafa didn't have to think about before but now has to play. Before that our team and our style of play was pretty much consistent. Shelvey deserved to be dropped and so did Yedlin.

Today we probably went for such an experimental system to combat Chelsea specifically, I'm pretty sure Rafa isn't planning to go to 3-5-2 permanently in any way.

I just think we were in a bad run of results, showed character against WBA and then were beaten by Chelsea which would happen even with peak Alex Ferguson in the dugout.

Rafa knows what he's doing, I don't agree with every decision but to paint it as some sort of mess or that he's lost the plot is just wrong.

I guess I’m just sick of the same old shit for want of a better word. Diame and Perez for example. If I’m Shelvey and see Diame starting ahead of me it would seriously demotivate me and to be honest that’s how he looked when he came on yesterday. Likewise if I’m Mitrovic and see Joselu start or Perez. Now I don’t rate either too highly, but both have shown at this level they are better players.

I believe we are a bit of a mess as well, we don’t create much and concede far too many goals. We don’t have a style either, for a brief spell when we beat Swansea, West Ham and Palace we looked a solid, functional, but limited team. We are not that team now and while defeats don’t help as it hampers confidence which breeds consistency, all of the tinkering and changes in tactics and roles for certain players is also a reason for that.

I’m all for dropping Ritchie for example, but do you know what, beggars can’t be choosers in many ways. Put simply we don’t have the squad depth/quality to just drop Yedlin for example or Shelvey, not when the options are Manquillo or Diame.

Forced changes I can live with, but yesterday was tinkering to the extreme. As for 3 at the back, I get that, but we were still over run in midfield so tactically Rafa got it wrong and has been getting it wrong for a while now.

I trust Rafa 100% and he does know what he’s doing, but I’m not so sure the players do and sometimes it really is a simple game where you pick your best 11, set them up in a style or way of playing, give it a run and see what happens.

He drops Lascelles and Gayle at the start of the season or early into the season, then Clarke. In comes Mbemba from the cold. Then Diame comes in. Atsu who was a bit part player last season comes in, Ritchie moves to the right, then the left. He is played at LB or left wing back. Perez isn’t a Number 10 but seems to be used as that type of player for us. Why even play a 10 if we don’t have anyone suited to that? Sorry, but there are serious question marks over the roles Rafa chooses for his players, some of his team selections and his tactics and it’s hurting not just the team, but individuals themselves. Again Mitrovic and Shelvey, two proven PL players albeit not at any great standard, get overlooked for the likes of Diame and Joselu.

For me Shelvey is a luxury player who needs space and time, playing him deeper gives you an outlet when he’s on the ball as he can put players through, but that requires him to also be more defensive and do more off the ball donkey work. We have Hayden who has the energy, athleticism and defensive mindset to do that kind of work so play Dhlevey further forward. Merino is not a work horse, he’s a beautiful player on the ball who can not only drive the team on with his ball carrying skills, but he can also link up play and I think can score goals further forward, same with Shelvey. Play all 3 Rafa. Stick with Gayle because he can nick goals. Or give Mitrovic a run and see what he can do with a combination of Atsu, Ritchie and Murphy on the flanks.

I guess I’m just frustrated watching how we play, how certain players are used and roles given. I’m on record saying I don’t like how we play under Rafa or his tactics, but again I trust him 100% with our club and the team because I do know when he tries something or picks this player over that player, it’s based on something and not just a whim or whatever as has often been the case from former managers.

Ultimately what we are seeing is a top manager working with a Championship team pretty much in the Premier League and survival is the goal and I’m backing him to achieve that. If we do get taken over and we start signing real top-class players I know performances and results will improve ten-fold because Rafa is a top manager so in that regard I’m very confident.

I’d personally like to see the following side put out on a regular basis when everyone is fit, injuries permitting:

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Clarke Dummett

Hayden

Murphy Shelvey Merino Atsu

Gayle

I’m not a huge fan of Dummett but he’s decent defensively and is good at keeping crosses out. I think Lejune is a good footballer, but Clarke is a better defender. I’m not a big fan of Shelvey either, but playing him further forward means he isn’t bogged down defensively and while he’s got a great range of long passing, he has shown he can play little one twos and neat 15-20 yard through balls etc. Playing Merino further forward also gets him away from being bogged down defensively. Hayden for me has the engine to play deep and cover and it’s not as if Merino or Shelvey can’t drop deep if need be. On the flanks I like pace and directness and Murphy and Atsu have that and they can stretch teams and drag centre-backs wide which can allow the likes of Merino to get in advanced forward positions to shoot and Shelvey more room to do his thing. I think of all, however Gayle would benefit the most. His hold up play and general battling impressed me yesterday against big strong defenders, but that’s not his game and never should be. He impresses more when he’s playing off the shoulder and making runs. He’s a decent finisher and would score the required goals needed if his role was simply to make runs and finish and not be some kind of back to goal centre-forward.

Anyway just my opinion and as Greg said... it’s not all simples!