Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Atsu's absence probably has affected us more than we thought as well. His crossing isn't always the best but you've gotta say he's pretty good in general play. Rarely loses it despite being in quite tight situations at times.

Not having any lefties on the left has crippled us going forward. Lost count, before Aarons came on, of how many good crossing opportunities were passed up because the winger/full-back had no confidence to play it in.

I wouldn’t mind giving Hadaria another shot at left back now he’s fit, he certainly use to get forward and can cross a ball,still only 24 but maybe Rafa doesn’t rate him which is fair enough

Atsu's absence probably has affected us more than we thought as well. His crossing isn't always the best but you've gotta say he's pretty good in general play. Rarely loses it despite being in quite tight situations at times.

Not having any lefties on the left has crippled us going forward. Lost count, before Aarons came on, of how many good crossing opportunities were passed up because the winger/full-back had no confidence to play it in.

I wouldn’t mind giving Hadaria another shot at left back now he’s fit, he certainly use to get forward and can cross a ball,still only 24 but maybe Rafa doesn’t rate him which is fair enough

You won't get any joy out of that argument young fella me lad.

I can't even remember what he's like as a player, it's been that fucking long  :lol:

This is spot on, like. Murphy has had the beating of his man the last 2 games but because he's generally been quite deep when beating them and he's had little to aim for, it results in pretty pointless crosses. I think we should be switching wingers in-game a little depending on the situation.

Guest Howaythetoon

Again I don’t like his tactics, I don’t like his style of play and some of his team selections baffles me, but I trust the man and by that I mean with the whole club and especially long-term. I dare say someone like Steve Bruce would have taken us up last season and maybe with a better style, but we all know the moment we land in the PL it’s going to eventually turn to s***. What Rafa needs is better players. Imagine even the players even Pardew has had over the years at Rafa’s disposal? He is basically working with a Championship squad with one or two players of PL quality and even then those players are mid-table quality. I could put a question mark against every single one of our players when it comes to PL credentials. Rafa, I only have personal question marks which is his style of play, use of certain players and tactics. Ability wise.. well, the man was managing Real Madrid and well IMO before rocking up here.

Again I don’t like his tactics, I don’t like his style of play and some of his team selections baffles me, but I trust the man and by that I mean with the whole club and especially long-term. I dare say someone like Steve Bruce would have taken us up last season and maybe with a better style, but we all know the moment we land in the PL it’s going to eventually turn to s***. What Rafa needs is better players. Imagine even the players even Pardew has had over the years at Rafa’s disposal? He is basically working with a Championship squad with one or two players of PL quality and even then those players are mid-table quality. I could put a question mark against every single one of our players when it comes to PL credentials. Rafa, I only have personal question marks which is his style of play, use of certain players and tactics. Ability wise.. well, the man was managing Real Madrid and well IMO before rocking up here.

No and no.

No and no.

HTT is prone to aneurysms as well like the rest of us. He's sound otherwise. I'm willing to let that comment slide as a drunken one.

Did anyone see he also said Gary Speed rang him before he joined Newcastle saying ,what u doing don’t go there,why would that be?

What he recently said that? Absolutely classless dickish thing to do from Nolan.

Last month he said

“A lot of people said to me ‘What are you doing?’

“Gary Speed said it to me on the way up there. Me and Speedo were close, and I’m obviously still gutted about what’s happened. I remember ringing and he said ‘Don’t do it Nobby, lad’.

No way Rafa gets this much flak before December even hits if he's British. Every criticism in the press would be shut down by the PFM brigade by saying it's "too early" and that he "deserves more time." But Rafa eats paellas, if fat, and waits tables. Fuck him.

Guest neesy111

Yeah I mean that’s fine I just mean why say it now, just pointless. Not like speed is around to provide context. Meh I just don’t really like Nolan tbh scored plenty for us but as a bloke I don’t like him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, I don't particularly like him as a person  tbh.

Guest neesy111

Really didn't like that red he got on Anichebe as well. Was a full on leg breaker shit house tackle. We had to pay didn't we?

This one:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/03/article-0-039F5C46000005DC-666_468x363.jpg

Not sure us paying but his whole role in the Carroll transfer was a disgrace imo. 

Some more thoughts on Rafa.

Rafa's transfer successes has pretty much been in the > 5 million pounds range in 2005-2009 transfer market era. Reina, Kuyt, Torres, Alonso, Garcia, Agger, Skrtl. Normally when he spend big with us, he got it right. Two notable failures _ Keane ( for which we recouped a majority of the monies), and Aquilani.  When you look at his record at below 5 million in 2005-2009 monies, it is very poor. I think Arbeloa was the only notable success. His free transfers were generally horrible. That is a valid criticism one can place at Rafa. For example, Wenger is significantly better than Rafa in creating a team which can compete at the top end of the table in a restricted budget.

Having said that what the best owners do is hire talented people and create a system which hides their weaknesses and accentuates their strengths. IMO, what Ashley has done is the opposite. By the way he has managed the transfer budget, he has forced Rafa to purchase players in the sub 5 million range in 2005-2009 monies(when you account for inflation) which is not his strong point. It is like signing a world class racing driver and then giving him a Ford Taurus.

Regarding his style of play, normally Rafa creates a base of stable defensive systems and kinda like Mourinho, relies on attacking players to deliver on the creative goal scoring front. For example, Bellamy and others, have given numerous interviews on how Rafa focuses purely on defensive side of things and not much in attack. He normally plays 4-2-3-1 with the role of the front striker being to release pressure on the defense by holding on to the ball and bring the 3 behind him to the attack (Crouch, Mista). Somehow, I dont think he cares too much about strikers who scores goals until we got Torres who was a freak of nature in those years and could score goals as well as bring others to play.

He is kinda the anti-Klopp who I think is world class in creating attacking patterns but lacks Rafa's defensive nous.

Guest alijmitchell

I have to admit, i've been part of the problem in the past - writing off managers before they've even started and going over board with criticism. I exclude Pardew from this because that prick deserved everything he got.

However, I've genuinely found myself disgusted by some of the comments directed at Rafa on this forum over the past couple of weeks.  Maybe it's my age  :lol:

Some people seem to be forgetting what this man has done for our club and how lucky we are to have him. This isn't some inexperienced manager who's had one or two good seasons elsewhere, this is one of the best managers in world football, who chose to stay with us despite being treated like s*** by our arsehole owner.

Someone said yesterday that Rafa isn't infallible but to be honest, he pretty much is. He's been there, seen it, done it many times over and knows football better than any of us. If he says Joselu is a better option for his system than Mitro that's fine by me. It's frustrating because I want to see Mitro given a run but from some of the comments on here, anyone would think it's going to be a case of Mitro coming in and instantly scoring bags full of goals. Football doesn't work like that. Maybe Rafa appreciates the defensive work-rate of Joselu over Mitro and feels we'll ship more goals with Mitro in the team. Whatever it is, we just need to trust the man because more than any manager we've had in recent years, he knows what the f*** he's doing.

Thanks again to Ashley, we have a very weak squad - weak in terms of depth and ability.  Despite that we're two wins away from our half season target of 20 points and we've done it with injuries to 4 key first team players.  Give the man a f***ing cigar!

Bang on

There's not really an argument of whose better between Joselu & Mitrovic is there? Everything from performances, reputation, age, mentality of the player, effectiveness in this league & transfer fee point to Mitrovic.

Mitrovic on an off day still offers you something, Joselu on on off day is very quiet and unimposing. Rafa can probably communicate his ideas better to Joselu and that's about it.

IMO, Joselu is fine as a 3rd option, but that's all he should be.

There's not really an argument of whose better between Joselu & Mitrovic is there? Everything from performances, reputation, age, mentality of the player, effectiveness in this league & transfer fee point to Mitrovic.

Mitrovic on an off day still offers you something, Joselu on on off day is very quiet and unimposing. Rafa can probably communicate his ideas better to Joselu and that's about it.

IMO, Joselu is fine as a 3rd option, but that's all he should be.

That might be true, but I think at some point he'll need to accept that his ideas won't matter if the player never picks up his form.