Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

If Ashley bins Rafa - it's game over for me. Takeover will collapse too.,

Yep, PCP reportedly want Rafa as manager. If he goes/is sacked, then I suspect they'll walk away too.

Anyway, lets not panic (yet) over a spurious tweet that's since been deleted.

Hopefully its (only) a crunch meeting about transfer budget/targets with the window about to open.

I'm still behind him, but I'm worried.

Our subs always seem to be too late, we never seem proactive. Can't remember any points we've gained from a well timed sub.

The continued selection of Joselu is hurting us. Wish we'd saved the Joselu and Murphy money and bought the best number 10 we could for £18 million.

Our subs always seem to be too late, we never seem proactive. Can't remember any points we've gained from a well timed sub.

The continued selection of Joselu is hurting us. Wish we'd saved the Joselu and Murphy money and bought the best number 10 we could for £18 million.

Perhaps he was lied to about his budget. Maybe.

Again, the actual spending of the money is down to Ashley/Charnley getting the deal 'over the line'.

I'm sure if it were down to Rafa, he'd ave spent it all on one player he really wanted, but feet were dragged, time was wasted and he ended up getting what he got.

havent read the past 15 pages or so but it must have been mentioned.

rafa needs to come out and explain why he is persisting with a 442 when a 4231 was getting results.

he may have tried it initially to keep those that wanted more attacking football happy.

but when it was clear it wasnt working - why hasnt he reverted to our initial formation. we dont have enough quality in a midfield duo to dominate even the lower haf teams. we need a 3.

I wish any of the regular journalists was brave enough to ask something like this, unfortunately they're not.

Thing is no one knows how much input Rafa had in choosing these players. Anyone saying otherwise is spouting BS.

They could have been Rafa’s signings or they could have been pushed upon him.

Look at history. As I mentioned earlier, Keegan had players pushed upon him that he didn't want. Pardew even said he had players he wanted but didn't get.

Guest firetotheworks

Thing is no one knows how much input Rafa had in choosing these players. Anyone saying otherwise is spouting BS.

They're Rafa's signings, he technically chose them. But to some the amount of money he was given to do it, how far down the list they were, and the players he wanted that Charnley and co failed to sign, isn't taken into account and in some cases not at all understood when they proceed to criticise him for the signings.

Look at history. As I mentioned earlier, Keegan had players pushed upon him that he didn't want. Pardew even said he had players he wanted but didn't get.

Also, its always been Ashley's lackies that actually do the deals... hence reports of them throwing in paltry low bids for players who command much higher fees.

Rafa can ask for whoever he wants, but if they won't/don't want to pay the fees/wages, what can he do??

Also, its always been Ashley's lackies that actually do the deals... hence reports of them throwing in paltry low bids for players who command much higher fees.

Rafa can ask for whoever he wants, but if they won't/don't want to pay the fees/wages, what can he do??

Exactly. That's how we end up with 57th choice strikers like Joselu.

I'm in agreement on the bolded but feel this is another hindrance from our transfer 'strategy'. The initial price may be doable, but I feel Ashley massively fucks about on the wages, too. For example, didn't Gibbs go for only a couple more million than we got Manquillo for? But he's probably on three times as much a week.

I'm in agreement on the bolded but feel this is another hindrance from our transfer 'strategy'. The initial price may be doable, but I feel Ashley massively f***s about on the wages, too. For example, didn't Gibbs go for only a couple more million than we got Manquillo for? But he's probably on three times as much a week.

Fair point.