Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Full quote:

The Spaniard said: “Even if we strengthen in January it will be a miracle if we stay up. I think everyone knows what we have to do.

“Does Mike Ashley know? I hope so. We are doing what we have to do and now we wait to see what will happen.

“We have the targets, the names, so we have to do what we have to do.

“I am trying to tell everyone, realise where we are. Realise what we have to do and if we do well, fine we can finish 10th or whatever.”

“If we think we can beat these teams that have spent £100 million, every one of them, every game, there is no chance. We are wrong, 100 per cent.”

“I like the challenge and we will try to do our best. If you lose or cannot win, you cannot enjoy it, but I know it is my job and I have to be sure I make the right decisions all the time.

“We try to manage and correct things but sometimes in this league, which is so difficult, it is not enough.

“We have to be realistic and understand we will be in the half bottom for the whole season. If we can be better than three teams it will be another miracle.

“We can try make things happen in January, we will see what happens. It would be a miracle to stay up, yes.

“For me it is very clear. I know what is coming now and I know where we are. You can see the team is trying a lot of things but still it is not enough to get the points. It will be like that.

“If we are under pressure and feel this pressure we will not better and we can make more mistakes.”

Just trying to make sure we get players in January and not mess about with it. Will be interesting to see what happens with that.

I think in the next month and then coming up to the end of the season it is going to be very clear where things are with the club.

Think the fans are going to end up all being on the same page against Mike Ashley, finally, if he mucks about in January and if Rafa ends up leaving at the end of the season.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was saying similar things this time last year, I think it’s another we need to bring some new players in again message which is obvious and must happen. Even if we don’t I think Rafa will find a way somehow to just keep us up, but it’s going to be 50/50 all the way, every game.

I doubt Rafa or his staff have ever had to work so hard, do so much or even think so much in his and their entire careers to put some points on the board.

If we do stay up, we stay up thanks to Rafa’s coaching and his staff’s input. I don’t want to lament the players, but at home to Fulham we witnessed a team and players that has exuasted itself and themselves as much as they can and now all they have to give is their commitment in terms of spirit, fight, togetherness and work ethic because all ability is below the ability of the opposition, never existed in the first place or has been totally used up over the last few seasons.

Interesting little speech.

However we all know as he should too that his transfer targets will not be bought, so the result will be Rafa walking as he has been shit on again? No? Then why not?

I like Rafa as a person. He says the right things and raelly cares for the fans and the club. He is a great proffessional and got bags of experience.

But the football we play under him is so boring to watch. I know he has never got the players he wanted and never been backed by Ashley(and never will). But I'm not sure the football won't be much funnier to watch even if he gets better players, although we may get more points.

If we ever get new owners(wich I think will happen at least untill the summer) I'm starting to think it would be good with a new manager at the same time. A new voice for the players and a manager who wants to play some offensive football for once.

Like I said, still likes Rafa and not sure on this. Maybe we could play another football with Rafa if he get the players he wants but I'm not sure. Think he has his way of playing the game and it's very defensive minded. Not sure that is what I want to see in the long run if we get new owners with a little bit of ambition.

Thoughts?

I like Rafa as a person. He says the right things and raelly cares for the fans and the club. He is a great proffessional and got bags of experience.

But the football we play under him is so boring to watch. I know he has never got the players he wanted and never been backed by Ashley(and never will). But I'm not sure the football won't be much funnier to watch even if he gets better players, although we may get more points.

If we ever get new owners(wich I think will happen at least untill the summer) I'm starting to think it would be good with a new manager at the same time. A new voice for the players and a manager who wants to play some offensive football for once.

Like I said, still likes Rafa and not sure on this. Maybe we could play another football with Rafa if he get the players he wants but I'm not sure. Think he has his way of playing the game and it's very defensive minded. Not sure that is what I want to see in the long run if we get new owners with a little bit of ambition.

Thoughts?

You have to consider his belief and passion for the area first and foremost. He's managed (to a degree) to unite the fan base and give many something worth going to the match for. The complete lack of direction prior to his arrival with the likes of McClaren and Carver et al was absolutely dire. That said he isn't beyond criticism and is too negative at times especially at home.

I genuinely believe that if he had the players in that he wants you just can't measure how much of a difference a proper striker, goal scoring speedy wingers, full backs who can attack and a full on proper number 10 would make.....especially at home. Sure we'd alsways be resolute and difficult to play against but we'd be able to be so much more expansive.

Under the ridiculous circumstances he's working under I think he's doing an incredible job with what is a squad basically full of bang average players. He's barely had a penny to spend!! Very difficult too judge how he might/might not do with the utter shambles above screwing him ever window.

Given the start we had, to have a two game cushion over the bottom three, and only losing 2 from 9, the season’s going exactly as I expected. Bottom three for the first few months due to the fixtures before it balanced out. 13-16th is about right for us with this squad and it’s where we are.

He's gone at the end of the season. He's becoming disillusioned with the (home) supporters now which was probably the only reason he's still here. Now the cracks have started to surface in that bond he's probably thinking there's nothing left here for him now and he can move on to a bigger club in the summer.

Weird that from the Guardian he's quoted as saying: “We have to realise we will be in the bottom half of the table the whole season; finishing higher will be a miracle,”  - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/24/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Either way think he's realising he's entering the end game at the club. Either Ashley backs him considerably now (no chance) or someone else takes over and backs him (less chance than no chance).

In other words, adios Rafa :(