Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Just had a look at the podcast is now up for download.

Get in!

It’s a very good podcast.

Rafa explains why he took Kenedy off against Palace and why he had to make the changes he did.

We are so lucky to have him. It kills me that he’s not being backed properly by Ashley, we could really do something with this man in charge.

So why?

"Yeah, hokay.  Kenedy had been working very haad in training.  Not played many games at his last cloob." 

Just had a look at the podcast is now up for download.

Get in!

It’s a very good podcast.

Rafa explains why he took Kenedy off against Palace and why he had to make the changes he did.

We are so lucky to have him. It kills me that he’s not being backed properly by Ashley, we could really do something with this man in charge.

So why?

Palace changed formation and stuck Zaha out wide and Kenedy was too shagged to keep up with him. Needed fresher legs.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's an incredible podcast. Rafa addresses most if not all the issues people have criticised him for. If you listen to this and still have an problem with him being our manager then you really deserve mediocrity like Ashley/Pardew/McLaren etc..

Who has a problem with him as our manager?

It's an incredible podcast. Rafa addresses most if not all the issues people have criticised him for. If you listen to this and still have an problem with him being our manager then you really deserve mediocrity like Ashley/Pardew/McLaren etc..

Really?

I don't think he is referring to you but people who say "he isn't our main problem." Also anyone who says that results have been poor, when talking about Rafa, as if it's his fault.

Guest Howaythetoon

Again who has a problem with him being our manager? It’s a. nothing argument because as far as I can tell no one does. Tactics maybe, subs maybe, other things maybe, but Rafa as our manager? Where/who?

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't know Charnley had volunteered in the food bank. Fair play.

Was there a few days before Xmas cooking, making teas, boxing and bagging up etc. This the one near the old Mitre in Benwell. To be fair the club have been massively supportive, as has the whole city. Something to be proud of, although we shouldn’t be needing food banks...

Again who has a problem with him being our manager? It’s a. nothing argument because as far as I can tell no one does. Tactics maybe, subs maybe, other things maybe, but Rafa as our manager? Where/who?

Tactics and subs are pretty much a big part of being a manager, if you consistently carp about them, like quite a few do on here, then you have a problem with the manager.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tactics and subs are pretty much a big part of being a manager, if you consistently carp about them, like quite a few do on here, then you have a problem with the manager.

If that’s the criteria then no-one is happy with anyone at our club and has a problem with everyone.

He specifically said if anyone has a problem with Rafa BEIMG our manager...

If that’s the criteria then no-one is happy with anyone at our club and has a problem with everyone.

I'm not talking about grumbling about the odd decision, like playing Joselu ahead of Mitro. I've spoke against that myself, but at the end of the day I tend to trust his judgement is better than mine as he has more information available than we do. I'm talking about those who whinge constantly about his tactics. Tactics are really what he does best, so if you don't like them, then you'd probably be happier with a different manager.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm not talking about grumbling about the odd decision, like playing Joselu ahead of Mitro. I've spoke against that myself, but at the end of the day I tend to trust his judgement is better than mine as he has more information available than we do. I'm talking about those who whinge constantly about his tactics. Tactics are really what he does best, so if you don't like them, then you'd probably be happier with a different manager.

Have you asked those that ‘constantly’ whinge about his tactics if they’d be happier with a different manager rather than assume they probably would? There is a lot of myopia on here RE Rafa and it’s almost RAWKesque at times.

Again as far as I can tell I don’t see one person on here who is unhappy that Rafa is our manager or would want him replaced. I know I dared to suggest that myself last month, but I was drunk, pissed off and having a bit of a bad time. No excuse like.

In the main it’s healthy that he’s not this infallible manager and that we should be able to analyse his tactics and be critical. I myself feel the way we sometimes set up at home and the tactics we deploy against certain teams do not help us in such games at home and has contributed to some of our defeats and lack of wins.

Our home form will determine whether we stay up or not and I feel we haven’t done enough at home and could do far better, yes even with the team we have.

But hey, Rafa out!

The only thing I'd like to hear from people who have criticism for Rafa this season, is where should this team be in the league now and of season? I think at their best they are a side capable of narrowly escaping relegation and Rafa appears to be on course for getting that. It's not pretty but I see it's probably best we can expect. When people say Rafa is making mistakes it makes me think where do these people think this team should be? top half? top 6? bang on mid table? - To have that sort of expectation seems very ambitious when you compare our players with some of the teams filling those spaces.

Guest firetotheworks

Interesting that he made it very clear that by managing the game at 1-0 he means getting the second goal and not inviting pressure.

I have given you an example where someone literally referred to Rafa as a problem.

Guest Howaythetoon

Interesting that he made it very clear that by managing the game at 1-0 he means getting the second goal and not inviting pressure.

So why do the players simply drop into some kind of shell and treat the ball as if it’s a grenade? If that’s not the intention then something isn’t working because they do it quite often and while you could argue it’s because they aren’t good enough, well they have been good enough to take a lead and to play very well against the other team. First half against a Palace for example, Swansea at home etc.