Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Can't wait to be in the same room as this man tonight.

Tell him he plays s*** dour defensive negative football at home and <b>he should sort it out or get out</b>.

Mate, who has actually said that, seriously? You are the prime example of what I'm talking about... completely unable to have a conversation about things he could potentially be doing better.

Tell him he plays s*** dour defensive negative football at home and <b>he should sort it out or get out</b>.

Mate, who has actually said that, seriously? You are the prime example of what I'm talking about... completely unable to have a conversation about things he could potentially be doing better.

My dig is more at the people who are saying he is working miracles, when in fact whatever way you swing it we are in serious danger of relegation,

We expected to be after the summer window. If you didn't then you're a moron.

throwing away wins due to immediately retreating when going ahead,

When have we done that? We should've scored 2 against Burnley. We had a couple opportunities at 0-1 in the first half at Palace.

baffling and negative subs

Can't remember any of those off of the top of my head other than Perez on for Joselu in the Bournemouth home game. Completely disrupted our flow but other than that I can't think of any.

and tactics

Can't really do anything else when he's got f*** all to work with. These "negative tactics" have got us above the bottom 3 and with a superior GD to many of our relegation rivals.

and IMO wasting most of admittedly mediocre budget he was given on players who mostly sit on the bench every week.

This can only really be applied to Murphy. I want to see him start too, like. But howay, mediocre budget gets you mediocre players. That's what we have.

We are just about keeping our heads above water and will more than likely be in the bottom 3 after the visit of Man Utd, I'm not for one second saying McClaren is a better manager than Benitez, I'm just saying so far his performance at corresponding points in the season are barely any different, and the proof is in the points hauls of both.

This point is moot, McClaren had a far better side. And I'm confident we'll pick up a few more points between now and the end of March. McClaren stayed on 24 points from the WBA home win in early February to the Bournemouth defeat in early March.

I think he is the best we can get especially under this ownership, but he should not be above criticism, there was somebody before literally saying he should take no blame for anything ffs even if we go down :lol: Its madness.

He should not be above criticism when he gets what he needs. The people above him have been taking the p*ss for 3 transfer windows straight. And yes, he should take some blame if we end up going down (I don't think we will, mind) but 99% of it will be down to Ashley.

I just disagree. It's probably 99.9% Ashley in reply to Sho'Time.

Last season's January window was awful. Rafa identified we needed bodies in to solidify promotion in another 23 or so games and actually sign some PL players in advance for this season. And that was blocked by Ashley. The signings from the most recent summer being poor because he was given what is almost f*** all in this market you can't really put down to him.

This talk of bewildering subsitutions, I can't think of any off of the top of my head. Perez for Joselu in Bournemouth (h) maybe? That's it. Regarding lineups, whenever people have lambasted it (West Ham away, Stoke away) we've usually won (or at least come away with a good result). :lol:

The squad we have is the worst squad in the league imo. The fact that we are where we are is down to our approaches tactically and how well drilled we are. That's down to the manager.

We should've also won at Southampton. Had numerous chances, hit the post, had a goal wrongly disallowed against Bournemouth. Had golden opportunities against Swansea, Burnley, Everton. Should've really gotten a point at Huddersfield.

Say we actually had invested in a striker that Rafa wanted who took those chances. That's 13 points we've missed out on. Blaming Rafa is f***ing daft, man. :lol:

He didn't need to come here in 2016. If he didn't, we'd be lumbered in the Championship with either Steve McClaren still as manager or someone of that ilk. Someone utter s****. But he came and almost kept us up. He stayed when we went down. Again, he didn't have to. We would've imploded, stuck in the Football League, with Ashley and no future. But he stayed, got rid of the saleable assets and overall c***s in the squad, made a profit and built a team for promotion which achieved promotion. He didn't have to stay after our joke of a January window and a summer. But he did. Where would this squad be without him as it's manager? Probably bottom, because it is the worst squad in the league. But he's got us, as it stands, with our head above the waterline. What many predicted after the summer window closed.

He's the centrepiece of the potential takeover. It wouldn't be happening if he wasn't here.

He's managed to bring fans who were disillusioned, apathetic, back into caring about a club which resembles a football club. Not every single one, but him being pivotal to a takeover and ridding us of the cancer on this football club that is Mike Ashley will get all of them back. I'm sure of that.

He is the best manager we've ever had in terms of his CV. For some he's already on par with SBR and KK. He still is for me. A poor run of results doesn't change that. Us struggling against relegation for most of the season, which we expected, doesn't change that. He's reignited a passion for NUFC for many. Including many posters on here. Just like KK did in 1992.

He's stayed because he believes in this club, it's fans. He knows what it's capable of and what it can do with everything in place. He's trying to put everything in place. So let him get on with the job. He has his flaws, as do all managers, but he is the best we can possibly hope for. He "gets it" regarding the football club, the city, the fans. So get behind him, do our utmost to help this club stay in the Premier League this season. f*** what the media say about him, us, our club, f*** what fans of other clubs who are clueless about NUFC say about him, the fans or the club. Everyone knew it'd be a slog post August and here we are. So again, get behind him.

Isn't it more a case of a lot of posters on here getting waaaaay too defensive at even the slightest mention of a negative towards Rafa? I may be missing something, but I don't remember seeing any posts saying that anyone wants him out? In fact, most seem to say the exact opposite. The vast majority of these "WUM" posts, as you call them, are simply putting out some truths about how Rafa could be doing better. It doesn't mean that they don't like him, that they think he's crap etc... just that there's things he could be doing a whole lot better.

I'm in that camp to be honest. I love what Rafa represents, I love how he handles himself (for the most part), and still believe he's the key to the future of this club... but...

1) The quality of football has largely been poor (in the Championship too, despite having the most talented squad). Yes, we won it, but it's 100% undeniable that we were VERY poor for large portions of that season.

2) I personally feel like he handled the start of this season dreadfully, playing out his argument with Ashley in public. In my opinion, that only hurt the first few results of the season.

3) I still don't like our tactics at home. Happy with the way we set up away from home, but for the most part we've been way too negative at home.

Let me clarify before anyone throws a hissy...

• I don't want Rafa out... I feel he is by far the best thing about this club in it's current form.
  • I know he isn't the main problem, and if he was backed properly he would certainly be doing better.
  • I'm not necessarily saying anyone else could be on more points either.
  • I am not a WUM.

Some people just have differing opinions and views of the game. I just feel that some on here are stupidly defensive (much like his tactics at home!  :p)

On the point about the squad in the championship, I don't think I was alone in saying that I felt our squad was awful last season. Yes, we had some of the better players in the team, but outside of the first 9/10/11 we had some absolute shit. "worst squad to ever win the title" was thrown about quite a bit, and although it was a little over the top, I don't think Pardew/Mclaren/Allardyce/JK would have won the league with that squad, I really believe that.

I also complained last season about how shit the football is, and I still complain about it now, but that's because our players simply aren't capable.

Guest firetotheworks

Off the top of my head:

Crumpy

geordiedean

ElCid

HTT (retracted immediately - sorry mate :lol: but still)

I'm sure there are others too. Plenty have still made the other stupid points I mentioned in my previous post.

Isn't it more a case of a lot of posters on here getting waaaaay too defensive at even the slightest mention of a negative towards Rafa? I may be missing something, but I don't remember seeing any posts saying that anyone wants him out? In fact, most seem to say the exact opposite. The vast majority of these "WUM" posts, as you call them, are simply putting out some truths about how Rafa could be doing better. It doesn't mean that they don't like him, that they think he's crap etc... just that there's things he could be doing a whole lot better.

I'm in that camp to be honest. I love what Rafa represents, I love how he handles himself (for the most part), and still believe he's the key to the future of this club... but...

1) The quality of football has largely been poor (in the Championship too, despite having the most talented squad). Yes, we won it, but it's 100% undeniable that we were VERY poor for large portions of that season.

2) I personally feel like he handled the start of this season dreadfully, playing out his argument with Ashley in public. In my opinion, that only hurt the first few results of the season.

3) I still don't like our tactics at home. Happy with the way we set up away from home, but for the most part we've been way too negative at home.

Let me clarify before anyone throws a hissy...

• I don't want Rafa out... I feel he is by far the best thing about this club in it's current form.
  • I know he isn't the main problem, and if he was backed properly he would certainly be doing better.
  • I'm not necessarily saying anyone else could be on more points either.
  • I am not a WUM.

Some people just have differing opinions and views of the game. I just feel that some on here are stupidly defensive (much like his tactics at home!  :p)

On the point about the squad in the championship, I don't think I was alone in saying that I felt our squad was awful last season. Yes, we had some of the better players in the team, but outside of the first 9/10/11 we had some absolute shit. "worst squad to ever win the title" was thrown about quite a bit, and although it was a little over the top, I don't think Pardew/Mclaren/Allardyce/JK would have won the league with that squad, I really believe that.

I also complained last season about how shit the football is, and I still complain about it now, but that's because our players simply aren't capable.

The point about the championship was the only decent one which you could debate from that rather long post by Puppets. I agree, we didn't look that impressive, but we finished top all said and done. Having seen the struggles of others who went down with us, and those who got relegated last season, I think we did okay in hindsight. If we go down again, I expect it will be just as hard next time round, especially if we have a different manager.

If we get relegated, will Rafa be the first manager to get us relegated twice?

No because he hasn't got us relegated before. That's on Mike Ashley and Steve McClaren.

If he had gotten us the points we needed, he would have saved us. He didnt so we got relegated... Tomato-Tomato

Exactly. We were heading there well before he rocked up, so no, he didn't relegate us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Off the top of my head:

Crumpy

geordiedean

ElCid

HTT (retracted immediately - sorry mate :lol: but still)

I'm sure there are others too. Plenty have still made the other stupid points I mentioned in my previous post.

Twat :lol:

Low point for me actually, Rafa knows I love him, although the twat never responded to my 20,000 word letter nor my golf course recommendations.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we go down it will say relegated twice under the same manager in succession, but even if we go down again, I know who I’ll be blaming. Fucking Peter Beardsley.

Some of you need to go to a country where there is real oppression. Then you will feel like a right tit for even suggesting that counter voices are being suppressed here.

The real issue is that almost all of the counter arguments have been remarkably shit, and as KI said, utterly lacking in the bigger picture. Once again, for people to call you out on a ridiculous argument is not even in the same league as actual media suppression. If you continue with this nonsense, all that will happen to you is that people will continue to call you an idiot. Fucking drama queens.

Some of you need to go to a country where there is real oppression. Then you will feel like a right tit for even suggesting that counter voices are being suppressed here.

The real issue is that almost all of the counter arguments have been remarkably s***, and as KI said, utterly lacking in the bigger picture. Once again, for people to call you out on a ridiculous argument is not even in the same league as actual media suppression. If you continue with this nonsense, all that will happen to you is that people will continue to call you an idiot. f***ing drama queens.

Confused, does that make someone an idiot or f***ing drama queen for promoting the risible idea that SMc's squad was exponentially better than our current squad? Therefore Rafa's performance can't be compared? Or is it just people who don't see much difference between those two squads (and the 13 players they share) who fall into those categories. It's a puzzler ?

Just had a look at the podcast is now up for download.

Get in!

It’s a very good podcast.

Rafa explains why he took Kenedy off against Palace and why he had to make the changes he did.

We are so lucky to have him. It kills me that he’s not being backed properly by Ashley, we could really do something with this man in charge.

Just had a look at the podcast is now up for download.

Get in!

It’s a very good podcast.

Rafa explains why he took Kenedy off against Palace and why he had to make the changes he did.

We are so lucky to have him. It kills me that he’s not being backed properly by Ashley, we could really do something with this man in charge.

So why?