Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

If we get taken over and the new people start pumping the money in, expectations will obviously and naturally rise. I do hope, however, that fans don't get a sense of entitlement and become blase perhaps with Rafa and his methods because what I love about the club at the moment, Ashley aside, even with a bang average side, is how united we are all with Rafa and the team. I know his football isn't to everyone's taste nor his tactics, even among his biggest fans, like myself for example. But I could think of no-one better to lead us and help us become a successful football club than Rafa.

I do hope, however, that fans don't get a sense of entitlement and become blase perhaps with Rafa and his methods

I think most of us have had the idea that we have unrealistic expectations ground into us over the years that even if it got to that stage, we'd still be "Anti-expectation" just on principle.

Guest Howaythetoon

I do hope, however, that fans don't get a sense of entitlement and become blase perhaps with Rafa and his methods

I think most of us have had the idea that we have unrealistic expectations ground into us over the years that even if it got to that stage, we'd still be "Anti-expectation" just on principle.

It depends on the would be new onwers' ambitions and how much they spend on players, that alone can increase expectations massively. I'd like to the think the core of the support, however, are very much of the same mind-set as Rafa. Hard work, team ethic, togetherness, good characters, build the club up from the ground up etc. Plus, we know we have a manager capable of winning things which is a huge factor.

I just remember when Hughes was appointed at Man City who before their takeover would have been considered a really good appointment and he did quite well for them, but a lot of fans thought nah, we have Robinho and all this money. Obviously Rafa is a much better manager and has an in built rapport that I don't even think sir Bobby had with the fans which goes a long long way.

I'm thinking way ahead I know, but again, I love how connected the fans are now with Rafa and his players and I'd hate for that to change because of a lottery win which a takeover with big ambitions would be akin to.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-boss-rafa-benitez-talks-11378752

Rafa Benitez has told potential Newcastle owners that the club has major untapped potential.

The Magpies' manager knows the current takeover talk has “excited” fans, and reckons he leads “one of the top sides in England”.

He has held meetings with his scouts this week, who are drawing up a list of targets to pursue if the club has significant cash to spend in January — and another plan in case they don’t have much.

Asked whether Newcastle could be boosted by a takeover to end the unpopular Mike Ashley's ownership, boss Benitez said: “It’s one of the top sides in England if you put everything together.

“The question is, is it reaching its level? Obviously, no. Can we do it? I think so.

“We have to do everything right. It’s not just if you have money, you have to have the right players with the right mentality coming here.

Asked what Newcastle’s level could be with investment and ambition, the La Liga, Europa League and European Cup winner said: “A higher level than we are at the moment.

“I think we can do better. This club has to be in the top 10. You can see the potential is there. It’s just to do the right things.

“I think we can be in the top 10. What does that mean? Ninth, 10th, maybe more? It depends.

“Obviously, you want to win trophies and want to compete. You want to win trophies and make sure your team can win games and if you start winning games, you push your target higher and higher.

“At the moment, the aim is to make sure the team is improving. They [the players] are learning and we are going in the right direction.

“When I signed here, it was because I could see the potential. Sometimes when you sign players, it is not the money, it is just the mentality.”

A group led by financier Amanda Staveley is going through the books at St James’ Park, but has not yet made a bid.

Sports Direct tycoon Ashley put the club up for sale on Monday, and wants around £380m.

Benitez was Liverpool manager when they got taken over, and ended up losing his job under the new owners.

But he was giving positive signals to potential investors, while concentrating on beating rock-bottom Crystal Palace when they visit on Saturday.

He said: “A club is like a train, with the engine at the front. You can do everything right, you can improve the engine at the same time.

“You need a powerful engine, but you put more carriages on and you need a more powerful engine still. If the engine is not strong enough, and does not have the power, you have to win games and have a good team and that will help all the other things.”

:love:

Guest Howaythetoon

Benitez said: “It’s one of the top sides in England if you put everything together.

“The question is, is it reaching its level? Obviously, no. Can we do it? I think so.

There you go, he considers us a top club and believes we can be a top side.

The man believes in our club so so much, I for one am ever so grateful to him and we all should be.

IF we get sold and Rafa gets backed 100% then I'm absolutely certain that he wont be spraying money left right and centre (if given a lot) for the sake of it, or trying to buy big name players to get fans excited and all that. Feels so good having so much trust in the manager, knowing that he wont be signing players who don't even want to be here, or players with a lack of hunger or bad characters. He will do his detailed background checks and make sure he's done all he can to get the right player for this team and club. Sometimes he'll get it wrong, like any other manager, but I can't think of a better man doing the right stuff for us atm, and hopefully it will continue for a long time. Fucking class having someone like him :thup:

IF we get sold and Rafa gets backed 100% then I'm absolutely certain that he wont be spraying money left right and centre (if given a lot) for the sake of it, or trying to buy big name players to get fans excited and all that. Feels so good having so much trust in the manager, knowing that he wont be signing players who don't even want to be here, or players with a lack of hunger or bad characters. He will do his detailed background checks and make sure he's done all he can to get the right player for this team and club. Sometimes he'll get it wrong, like any other manager, but I can't think of a better man doing the right stuff for us atm, and hopefully it will continue for a long time. f***ing class having someone like him :thup:

Nah he will, he's not gonna turn down money if it's available. That would be psychotic, he won't buy players for the sake of it though obviously. But i think that's the case for most top managers tbh.