Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

The Scum trying to link him with Everton today, nee quotes or absolutely anything of substance, just s*** stirring from that vile rag.

Not going anywhere and doubt he would consider Everton anyway. Would be equivalent Keegan going to Sunderland.

Or like Clough going from Derby to Forest with a brief spell at one of Europe's elite in between?

No not really. Don't think Clough had the bond with Derby (had something to prove to the board) as a club or fan base in the same way Keegan did/does with us and Rafa did/does with Liverpool.

Listened to an interview with him on BBC Newcastle pre-match yesterday where he talked about a lot of things. Most interesting part, for me, was when he explained the roles and responsibilities of those involved with the first team management. Not surprising, but it really is a very structured approach with his team all having specific responsibilities, leaving nothing to chance and all reporting into him.

Bearing in mind there is a similar model operating below that at U23 and junior levels and he seems to have everything at his finger tips.

Although Rafa is undoubtedly the "gaffer" in every sense of the word he couldn't have have sounded more like a "director of football" if he'd wanted to.

He really is an excellent person to have in charge.

A journalist who writes for a publication that covers the Premier League said this to me today...

there are very few things in football worse than Mike Ashley...

go on...

one of them is giving Rafa Benitez a large transfer budget

:undecided:

After the transfer window closed he argued that we had a perfectly fine squad and Rafa shouldn't have any complaints. Which now, of course, means that in his mind we are performing about average given our squad (i.e. a replacement manager would be doing the same).

Listened to an interview with him on BBC Newcastle pre-match yesterday where he talked about a lot of things. Most interesting part, for me, was when he explained the roles and responsibilities of those involved with the first team management. Not surprising, but it really is a very structured approach with his team all having specific responsibilities, leaving nothing to chance and all reporting into him.

Bearing in mind there is a similar model operating below that at U23 and junior levels and he seems to have everything at his finger tips.

Although Rafa is undoubtedly the "gaffer" in every sense of the word he couldn't have have sounded more like a "director of football" if he'd wanted to.

He really is an excellent person to have in charge.

As good as Rafa is, he could never carry out his approach fully on his own. Having these capable staff on the touchline really is a remarkable transformation from what we’ve endured before.

Insert picture of three blokes eating beans on toast here. 

A journalist who writes for a publication that covers the Premier League said this to me today...

go on...

After the transfer window closed he argued that we had a perfectly fine squad and Rafa shouldn't have any complaints. Which now, of course, means that in his mind we are performing about average given our squad (i.e. a replacement manager would be doing the same).

Not sure any manager in the league be able to do what Rafa has done for us and especially what we’re doing right now. I don’t see the managers who run the top 5 having the patience and character to persist with the high level of coaching, preparation, and planning to get these players ready every single week.

go on...

Not sure any manager in the league be able to do what Rafa has done for us and especially what we’re doing right now. I don’t see the managers who run the top 5 having the patience and character to persist with the high level of coaching, preparation, and planning to get these players ready every single week.

I mean, let's not re-write history and pretend like he's perfect.  But he did sign some absolute dross for Liverpool and he seemed mad keen on getting rid of Alonso for Gareth Barry!  So I'm not saying that anyone he signs should just automatically be given a free pass, because Rafa rates them. 

All of that said.  That line about Benitez is pure :anguish:

All managers have clubs where they don't succeed at and all managers have a long list of players that didn't work out, or were just complete and utter flops.  We have had a few with Rafa already.  But so what?  It happens.

Guest Howaythetoon

The good thing with Rafa is if it doesn't work out, he wont just persist for the sake of it like Pardew would. He's also quite ruthless which I like. Most managers would have tried to build a team around Gayle after his exploits in the Championship last season, but Rafa sees things differently. He did buy a lot of dross for Liverpool mind, but I think he's learned along the way since then. His record at improving players' games is also impressive. Its rare to find a manager who you trust almost 100% and in Rafa I trust him like that in almost every aspect of managing the club, including transfers.

I think Rafa signs players based on mentality, intelligence and dedication as priorities, with technique and physical attributes as secondary.

With this in mind, it would make sense that people would think his transfer policies a bit weird. Chasing after seemingly average players, dumping supremely talented ones etc. He believes the team more often than not benefits from team players and cohesion, compared with talented mavericks.

Fair play on him. I doubt he would have went there even if he was a free agent, however if he’s dismissing it straight away then it shows that he see’s some potential of a future with us, especially now that Ashley is open to wanting to sell the club.