Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

They have burned out though, they're way below the standard they were at during our good runs earlier in the year. There's no wonder, like;  they've played out of their skin for two years and they've not been rewarded with any opportunity for progress. Even consummate professionals like the ones we've got will falter when there's fuck all to play for. Season 1: we need to get promoted. Season 2: we need to survive. There's no next step now; no intention to go further and the manager will be gone soon. We've already reached our ceiling and have now stagnated.

Not sure I agree but I've never been a professional footballer so I don't know. But, considering some of the players you have mentioned are ones that might need replacing then I'm not too sure how valid it is, and it's not like they agitated for a move in the summer so would indicate they're not that disillusioned.

Plus, any team from 12 downwards is kind of in the same boat. What are they playing for?

To be honest, I am not a fan of "buying for numbers". I know we needs cover but the likes of Gamaz Lazaar Blackburn captain etc really make me wonder why.  Not saying Rafa deserves the treatment but just I don't quite agree with his transfer decisions.

To be honest, I am not a fan of "buying for numbers". I know we needs cover but the likes of Gamaz Lazaar Blackburn captain etc really make me wonder why.  Not saying Rafa deserves the treatment but just I don't quite agree with his transfer decisions.

More games in the championship with less turnaround so can understand the need for bodies.

As much as Rafa has coached a few of the players on to better performances, one thing really stands out.

He’s spent over 60 million over three seasons on players that rarely play if at all. Total dross.

That’s a possible 6 x 10m players who could have come in and made a difference.

Or 3 x 20m.. even just three very decent players could have made a massive difference to this team.

I’m not even counting the free transfers who never played and but took up wage budget.

He’s bought poorly for the most part and I think this is probably the root of Ashley’s stance, or his excuse possibly for not backing him.

Sacking him will cost about 3 million (half a season) it’s not beyond the possibility that this could happen sooner than we think.

"Ah, but look at the team, look at the substitutes’ bench. By and large, they are his players. Yes, they are, and many were signed for the Sky Bet Championship, in desperation or did not figure among his top targets. And could anybody else have led such a limited group to tenth last season?"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newcastle-bottom-through-arrogance-and-lack-of-investment-not-rafa-benitez-lfkpj7n5x

I’ve lifted 24 signings from .com and made a judgement (relative cost and impact) as to whether they were good signings or not. I totally get that he has had to cut his cloth accordingly, but in terms of getting someone to do a job for us, it looks pretty 50-50 to me.

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

Hayden 4m good

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ?

Muto 9.5m ?

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

:lol:

'he's spent 60 million so should have bought 3 x 20 million players'

Not even sure where to start on that. Pure toss.

Those 3x£20m would be on £100-120k a week. Ashley would not pay those wages. He’s still in the £40-60k bracket which is what £4-8m gets you.

Aye, do you seriously think Rafa isn't buying £20m players because he doesn't fancy it?

Indeed. Quite staggering some of the 'thoughts' that go through some people's minds.

Some of our fans are utter clueless idiots

I’ve lifted 24 signings from .com and made a judgement (relative cost and impact) as to whether they were good signings or not. I totally get that he has had to cut his cloth accordingly, but in terms of getting someone to do a job for us, it looks pretty 50-50 to me.

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

Hayden 4m good

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ?

Muto 9.5m ?

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

You say it's 50/50, but you've got 13 good and 7 poor, with the jury still out on 4. Looks like he's done much better than 50/50 to me.

Guest firetotheworks

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

Hayden 4m good

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ?

Muto 9.5m ?

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

I don't think there was anything wrong with Hanley, but that aside probably fairly accurate, although I'd say Joselu's performed like a £5m striker.

Fair points re percentage ‘success’ and Hanley. Although some were no doubt bought as back-up, of the 24 only 7 would be regular starters, including Joselu in this. Of the most expensive 8 (a pitiful 5.5-£12m on the published figures) probably only Lejeune and Ritchie would be considered first choice for their positions. Perhaps this is just another way of saying that for the last couple of years we’ve been unable to successfully strengthen the first 11.

Watching Everton v Palace yesterday, it’s scary. Even the players who flattered to deceive and were basically crap are probably worth £20-40m.

To even be expected to compete in this league you need multiple £20m players in your team and ideally 1 or 2 worth £50m.

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

MATT SELS 5.5m Gash

Hayden 4m poor (when is last time this cunt played?)

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good??? He’s fucking gash man

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good??? No, he’s not really is he.

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor?? 10m+? It was fucking 12 million. Gash.

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ? Can’t get a game

Muto 9.5m ? Not looking like money well spent is it

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

I count 63.3m on total cack.

Guest firetotheworks

Watching Everton v Palace yesterday, it’s scary. Even the players who flattered to deceive and were basically crap are probably worth £20-40m.

To even be expected to compete in this league you need multiple £20m players in your team and ideally 1 or 2 worth £50m.

:thup: It's also how you end up in a position where £10m is spent on someone like Murphy and rather than it being viewed as a pittance for a young, British player, it's viewed as a waste of a lot of money and we're in a position where some of our fans are thinking like Ashley, completely divorced from the reality of modern day football spending.

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

Hayden 4m good

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ?

Muto 9.5m ?

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

Gayle 10m good

Ritchie 12m good

Gamez free poor

MATT SELS 5.5m Gash

Hayden 4m poor (when is last time this cunt played?)

Hanley 5.5m poor

Clark 5m good??? He’s fucking gash man

Diame 5m good

Yedlin 5m good

D. Murphy 3m good

Lazaar 3m poor

Atsu 6.2m good??? No, he’s not really is he.

Lejeune 8.7m good

Murphy 10m+ poor?? 10m+? It was fucking 12 million. Gash.

Manquillo 4.5m poor

Merino 6.5m good

Joselu 5m poor

Kenedy loan good

Slimani loan poor

Dubravka 4m good

Ki Sungyeung free ?

Schar 3m ? Can’t get a game

Muto 9.5m ? Not looking like money well spent is it

Rondon loan ?

Fernandez 6m good

I count 63.3m on total cack.

Which buys you 2/3 competent PL players these days.

And of those 25 players listed, only 10 of them have been decent.

That’s a 40% success rate.

But surely you have to take into account the amounts he has been allowed to spend on players and the fact that often they have been 2nd or 3rd choices, based on not being able to compete to get his actual targets?

If I keep buying 2nd hand cars from 'Dodgy Daves dealership' then chances are I am going to get a fair % of duds that cost me money and are unreliable shite.

If I can go to the Jaguar or Aston Martin showrooms nearly every time, and buy quality, then my % success rate would go up wouldn't it?

Have to remember the context of what he is being allowed to buy. Some of the shite was almost certain to be shite: it was bought at Poundland mate.

:thup: It's also how you end up in a position where £10m is spent on someone like Murphy and rather than it being viewed as a pittance for a young, British player, it's viewed as a waste of a lot of money and we're in a position where some of our fans are thinking like Ashley, completely divorced from the reality of modern day football spending.

If he ever played Murphy I would feel differently. This was someone he wanted. Who was our most expensive signing that summer.

This isn’t about agreeing with Mike Ashley. Don’t be so fucking stupid. This is about taking the rose tinted glasses off for a moment and actually seeing that Rafa has done a decent job but not amazing, certainly not in the transfer market with what he’s had to spend.

The state of the team this year is on him. The same bunch played far better last year.