Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Love Rafa to bits, but cant help wondering where we would be if he didnt arrive. I had just turned my back to the club when he came in and made it all seem so positive. If it wasnt for him we would have gotten some dinosaur manager who probably wouldnt be able to turn around the toxic atmosphere amongst the players. If we wouldnt look likely to be promoted and the pressure would increase on MA, maybe we would have been bought instead of Wolves?

Hope and expect that Rafa doesnt sign a new deal. Also hope we will get relegated this season, if not it just prolongs the misery. I think nothing will change before we do a mid-table season in the CC so better soon than later before the PL standard becomes too high to compete in for a newly promoted team. Looking at the mid-table teams now they would probably all be title competitors 10 years ago

is there any chance rafa burns the place to the ground once we're safe and he's left, i.e. holds a scathing press conference or whatever?  :/

Of course he will. It will be the last thing he tries to do for us, tell all about what really goes on behind the scenes. The alternative is that he will publish his memoirs about his time here. It would probably be a best seller. Hopefully he has been writing already so only the last chapter to write so not long to wait for it to be published. I have never bought a book like this but would be first in the queue for Rafas memoirs.

:lol: are you for real! What bloody memoirs. You lunatic

So you don't want to know about stuff he can't talk about while he's employed by Ashley then? Fair enough. It doesn't always have to be about winning trophies otherwise Keegan wouldn't have bothered (twice) not to mention the decent living he makes on the talkin scene.

From The Chronicle.

Rafa Benitez has told Newcastle United he has no intention of shirking his duties at St James' Park this season - regardless of what happens in the remainder of the January transfer window.

Benitez was shocked to see suggestions he will quit if he doesn't get what he wants in the last throes of the winter trading period, but while he is frustrated with the club's slow response time in the window, he is determined to see the job through.

The Toon boss stated he was "happy to talk" to the powers that be if things are "done right" at St James' Park.

But those discussions will not reopen until the start of February when Mike Ashley will listen to what Benitez wants in more in-depth.

Although, some written assurances on some important matters - particularly recruitment - will be required.

That was the case at Liverpool, Chelsea, Napoli and Valencia but he was sacked by Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

When leaving Napoli he said in 2015: “My cycle has reached its conclusion."

However, that may not be the case for Benitez on Tyneside who feels that if Newcastle are run properly he can build a 10 year contract and he has told Ashley he can save him money in the long run by producing homegrown talent at a revamped Academy.

That said, if Newcastle can't offer him what he wants there will be no shortage of offers for Benitez with clubs in China, Italy, Spain and Russia all keeping tabs on his next move.

Benitez is also admired by Leicester City and while there are suggestions that Claude Puel has lost the dressing room at the King Power Stadium, moving club in mid-season isn't on the agenda for the Spaniard.

His preference is always to start a new job in the summer and he will give Newcastle every single chance to retain his services.

They played s****. Lost. The end.

No they never man! You could tell when he was interviewed about the game beforehand he wasn't bothered at all. He wanted out that competition it's clear to see. It's totally wrong! We have got in this daft era where players apparently need wrapped in cotton wool.

I remember Shearer used to play against all sorts of s**** in cups, Stevenage, Grimsby etc and we took the cups seriously. No coincidence playing likes of Shearer in the early rounds got us to a couple of finals.

Right geniune question cards on the table time. Let's get some serious answers to this:

If Rafa Benitez signs a new deal under this regime and there is no spending still and more early cup exits will he be complicit and what sort of regard would he be held in then?

Simple answer: Rafa will NEVER sign a new deal unless he has written total control and an agreed transfer budget each window. Without that he will walk away. And who on this earth could blame him?

From The Chronicle.

Rafa Benitez has told Newcastle United he has no intention of shirking his duties at St James' Park this season - regardless of what happens in the remainder of the January transfer window.

Benitez was shocked to see suggestions he will quit if he doesn't get what he wants in the last throes of the winter trading period, but while he is frustrated with the club's slow response time in the window, he is determined to see the job through.

The Toon boss stated he was "happy to talk" to the powers that be if things are "done right" at St James' Park.

But those discussions will not reopen until the start of February when Mike Ashley will listen to what Benitez wants in more in-depth.

Although, some written assurances on some important matters - particularly recruitment - will be required.

That was the case at Liverpool, Chelsea, Napoli and Valencia but he was sacked by Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

When leaving Napoli he said in 2015: “My cycle has reached its conclusion."

However, that may not be the case for Benitez on Tyneside who feels that if Newcastle are run properly he can build a 10 year contract and he has told Ashley he can save him money in the long run by producing homegrown talent at a revamped Academy.

That said, if Newcastle can't offer him what he wants there will be no shortage of offers for Benitez with clubs in China, Italy, Spain and Russia all keeping tabs on his next move.

Benitez is also admired by Leicester City and while there are suggestions that Claude Puel has lost the dressing room at the King Power Stadium, moving club in mid-season isn't on the agenda for the Spaniard.

His preference is always to start a new job in the summer and he will give Newcastle every single chance to retain his services.

Just as the window is shut so Ashley can convince us all he has changed and he's willing to invest so long as all the season tickets are sold with a 10% rise.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

They played s****. Lost. The end.

No they never man! You could tell when he was interviewed about the game beforehand he wasn't bothered at all. He wanted out that competition it's clear to see. It's totally wrong! We have got in this daft era where players apparently need wrapped in cotton wool.

I remember Shearer used to play against all sorts of s**** in cups, Stevenage, Grimsby etc and we took the cups seriously. No coincidence playing likes of Shearer in the early rounds got us to a couple of finals.

Right geniune question cards on the table time. Let's get some serious answers to this:

If Rafa Benitez signs a new deal under this regime and there is no spending still and more early cup exits will he be complicit and what sort of regard would he be held in then?

Have some perspective man!

In the games you've mentioned we had SHEARER...statistically the best striker in premier league history on weight of goals. It was a different era, and we were a very different club and squad, therefore we could afford to try and compete in the cup because either the squad could cope, or we weren't at significant risk of being relegated.

This squad is shit. We all know that. In comparison to pretty much every squad since our first appearance in the premier league it's a horror show. We can't compete in the league let alone risk playing our 'best XI' in cup competitions. Obviously I don't like the fact, but this is our reality. I don't understand how or why people are getting so upset about this now,  it's not a new phenomenon for us is it?

What I doubly don't understand is the hyperbole directed at Benitez. All of this is Ashley's fault. The fact the squad is too small and generally shit is Ashley's fault. The fact that we literally can't afford to risk playing our entire first team in cup games is Ashley's fault. None of that is Rafa's doing. Those people also criticising our style of play and lack of attacking flair are on a different planet. Have you seen the state of our team?! Rafa is working miracles with the worst Newcastle squad since Ardiles, yet still people bitch and moan about our tactics and style of play. Every game Rafa is trying to win a gunfight armed with a spoon...and a fucking shit spoon at that.

Perspective

Guest firetotheworks

And the collective IQ of the forum goes down another notch.

Fucking losing on purpose, man. :lol: Aye, that sounds like something Rafa would do. :lol:

We didn’t lose on purpose, we just didn’t care about winning. TBF no middle to lower PL team seems to care much more.

Crystal Palace seem to, Zaha is playing and he's more important to them than any of their other players.

Guest neesy111

We didn’t lose on purpose, we just didn’t care about winning. TBF no middle to lower PL team seems to care much more.

Crystal Palace seem to, Zaha is playing and he's more important to them than any of their other players.

Zaha hasn't been important to them this season, he's been awful for most of it.

Zaha hasn't been important to them this season, he's been awful for most of it.

And yet for such a long time every game in the league he didn't play they lost. If Palace can put our a fairly strong team, them being only a point above us i don't why we couldn't, the answer to that being Palace are prepared to spend, when we're obviously not i guess.

Simple answer: Rafa will NEVER sign a new deal unless he has written total control and an agreed transfer budget each window. Without that he will walk away. And who on this earth could blame him?

this is literally what was said when rafa joined and then extended his contract.. no way he'll get taken in by ashley yet here we are

there's no chance that shit can be written into contracts, it has to be convention and agreement between gentlemen

ashley is a pure cunt though so here we are

If the club appointed another foreign manager in the summer with a half decent reputation like Gracia at Watford instead of another PFM, would that keep you interested for next season?

Don’t think so, everything’s pointless now. I’m barely interested this season TBH.

I'm not sure why anyone would be interested no matter whos picking the team.

Baffles me.

Aye, after witnessing the ruination of the club and the maltreatment of Rafa then the question of who the next manager is, should be moot. No one can make this club a force under Ashley, the moment anyone does better than expected the purse strings get tighter and the players that get us there get sold for profit and replaced with cheaper alternatives or worse still, loans.

We're in immediate danger now with the better players being sold and not replaced and becoming more and more reliant on loans. Those loans go back and you still have huge holes in the squad, we're following in the footsteps of our close neighbours, the team has been completely asset stripped and will go down sooner or later unless huge investment is made.

Rafa will leave and no matter who the replacement is, even if Ashley splashes the cash, will hit the same brick wall sooner or later.

I pity the next cunt in charge, good god just look back at the last few years under this regime, they will have no money to spend, fans wont like him, possibly in the Champo, more protests.....

Why the fuck would you want to be a part of that.