Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I expect him to now tbf.  Although I'd like him to just sign a 12 month extension so has the leverage again next season :lol: He'd be mad to sign up long term.

Another 1 year deal would be pointless, he would just have the exact same problems as last summer.

He either signs long term or leaves this summer.

They do, Rafa is a critical thinker. It will take more than breaking even on transfers for a season to convince him.

I really hope he gets cast iron guarantees to implement his program for the club before he signs. Selfishly speaking another season of the pre Almiron feeling isn't worth bothering with but I fear Ashley wants to do the absolutely bare minimum to keep him and the fans on side.

Almiron must have in the back of his mind his boss won’t be here next season, so I don’t think his motivation to come was Rafa mind, money and the lights of the PL surely were his reasons because before the Man City game he was 100% leaving in most our minds.

One signing has changed the mind set again, classic Ashley again, I only want Rafa here if he’s backed fully, he won’t be and hasn’t so I’m resigned still to him going.  80% going imho

Rafa's transfer budget is what he generates himself through player sales, the press are saying he's had a transfer splurge and Keys tweeted yesterday that he has spent £145 million in three years, about the same as Spurs and they are second in the league. Ashley will use the press to convince Rafa to stay whilst millions of pounds that should be used to improve the club just "rests" in his bank account.

Surely he'd only sign up if there was assurances written into the contract rather than based on trust and empty promises. Continuing with this game of cat and mouse is no good for anyone. It'd be like trying to find your way out of Irelands largest lingerie section for another year or so.

All the club have to do is work with Benitez instead of working against him or just ignoring him. They don't have to do everything he wants to do, but at least make the effort to bounce ideas off him and meet Benitez halfway.

Give him £50 million plus player sales to spend in the summer, break transfer record again, do some deals quickly, spend £20 million on the training ground and listen to what he has to say about improving the academy.

Last time they might have just shook hands on the promise of transfer spending etc.  This time they must spit on theirbpalms before shaking on any agreement.

Rafa didn't sign a contract in a hurry last time either, he thought he'd got the clauses in there to guarantee spending money generated, only to find out later that spending includes budgeting for wages, holiday pay, Xmas presents etc. He doesn't strike me as the naive sort so don't think he'll fall for that again.

Almiron must have in the back of his mind his boss won’t be here next season, so I don’t think his motivation to come was Rafa mind, money and the lights of the PL surely were his reasons because before the Man City game he was 100% leaving in most our minds.

One signing has changed the mind set again, classic Ashley again, I only want Rafa here if he’s backed fully, he won’t be and hasn’t so I’m resigned still to him going.  80% going imho

hence if he plays to a high standard he,ll be playing for arsenal or liverpool next year ,tidy profit mind :lol:

if charnly is the man to secure rafa then he,ll be off rafa stopped listening to him last summer

Charnley has publicly admitted they could have bought Almiron a year ago but they weren't interested until the financial package fell within their budget. The same budget which has forfeited collecting umpteen millions from Sports Direct in advertising fees.

Throw Clark in the mix too who has let nobody down when he has played and you would be happy with any three playing out of that five. Really impressive bunch.

Absolutely.

The thing is it’s looked even better because of the intelligence and ball playing of Lejeune and ball playing of Schar. IMO you need a both for this to work at its best.