Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Rafa's a mentalist man, why's he even entertaining the idea of staying at this mess :lol:

He hasn't said anything about staying, people are just assuming because they Ashley finally coughed up for a top range player.

Ashley's sole objective as Newcastle owner is to get sufficient publicity for his retail arm while investing as little as possible. He struck gold when Rafa applied for the job in March 2016 because Rafa is a manager who can help this club survive in the top-flight with minimal investment, contrary to what clowns like Rio Ferdinand or Richard Keys believe. If Rafa were to walk, I am fairly confident Ashley would hire a middling manager (probably someone like Sean Dyche) and hand him significant transfer funds because he knows that anyone replacing Rafa won't be able to work miracles with the current squad.

This idea of burning things to the ground has taken root in society recently, it's a visceral, base emotion and thus totally understandable when the situation seems bleak and hopeless. However, it is almost always guaranteed to make things worse. So we need to stop hoping that Rafa walks because then there will be no one left to fight for the club. Ashley is going nowhere unless there are mass boycotts, which let's face it is never going to happen.

From Rafa's point of view, it is pretty apparent that he loves the idea of being Newcastle United manager and don't underestimate the fact that the man is a football romantic. He was in a much less toxic situation at Inter Milan and he chose to walk away after 6 months (he gave an ultimatum to Moratti which was the equivalent of a resignation letter), and he could have quit at any point since the January transfer window in 2017. No way is he going to give up against Ashley without a fight. Those characteristics are exactly what make him a fascinating person. It is indeed a privilege to see him manage Newcastle.

He was in a much less toxic situation at Inter Milan and he chose to walk away after 6 months (he gave an ultimatum to Moratti which was the equivalent of a resignation letter)

just went back to have a read about this, interesting the language he used during the period before his sacking vs. the way he speaks here

Ashley's sole objective as Newcastle owner is to get sufficient publicity for his retail arm while investing as little as possible. He struck gold when Rafa applied for the job in March 2016 because Rafa is a manager who can help this club survive in the top-flight with minimal investment, contrary to what clowns like Rio Ferdinand or Richard Keys believe. If Rafa were to walk, I am fairly confident Ashley would hire a middling manager (probably someone like Sean Dyche) and hand him significant transfer funds because he knows that anyone replacing Rafa won't be able to work miracles with the current squad.

My problem with this theory is that it expects Ashley to crack open his wallet in a way he has done once in twenty-plus windows. I can’t see another McClaren window - Ashley is stupid enough to think another manager could do the job Rafa is doing with the same squad. When it becomes evident no one else can do Rafa’s job (i.e. bottom in January) then spending might occur.

Also, I don’t think Ashley could attract Dyche.

I read somewhere that Almiron is going to be on 60k/week. Tells you everything about our penny pinching that it took a year to get the deal done when that wage is a pittance these days, and I would think Rafa will bear that in mind before signing any new contract.

I read somewhere that Almiron is going to be on 60k/week. Tells you everything about our penny pinching that it took a year to get the deal done when that wage is a pittance these days, and I would think Rafa will bear that in mind before signing any new contract.

Other teams would pretty much call a player of his price/wage a punt, whereas in Ashleyland it's expected that we're buying a ready-made, world class player as it's such a HUGE outlay.

My problem with this theory is that it expects Ashley to crack open his wallet in a way he has done once in twenty-plus windows. I can’t see another McClaren window - Ashley is stupid enough to think another manager could do the job Rafa is doing with the same squad. When it becomes evident no one else can do Rafa’s job (i.e. bottom in January) then spending might occur.

Also, I don’t think Ashley could attract Dyche.

True, Ashley hasn't spent a lot of money, but it has not been pitiable either:

2007/08 - 33.7 million

2008/09 -  31.3 million

2009/10 - 5 million (Championship season)

2010/11 - 12.4 million

2011/12 - 21.4 million

2012/13 - 28.4 million

2013/14 - 3.3 million

2014/15 - 40.1 million

2015/16 - 96.4 million

2016/17 - 56.8 million

2017/18 - 39.5 million

2018/19 - 53.8 million

Unfortunately since the Neymar transfer in the summer of 2017, transfer prices have exploded so the last two windows have been relatively poor in comparison with other clubs in the league. Before the Almiron transfer, our spending this season certainly looked horrific.

I don't think Ashley will significantly loosen the purse strings if Rafa doesn't renew his contract, but I am sure he will give the new man more money to spend, if only to troll the supporters.

I think Dyche is someone who plays to the worst instincts of the PFM crowd, I can certainly see him leaving Burnley for Newcastle if Ashley wanted him. If not, David Moyes and Mark Hughes are certainly up for hire.

Bringing in Paul Merson would be absolutely amazing. It would make John Carver & the Trump administration look competent.

Sounds like the shittest funk band ever :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/sites/default/files/images/bootsy%20warwick%20bass.jpg

‘I remember JC...his licks were the shit. I mean his guitar playing was whack but that mouth jus’ never stopped. Played bass 12 years in the Trump administration. Heady days man but JC  got distant, tripped out - starting thinkin he was talkin to ghosts an shit. And then he left. Yeah but that was John - crazy lasagne face muthafucka’

:lol: bravo sir.

Really like this new system. Bring in Almiron and BA Baracus and we'll be much more dangerous on the break too.

Hope he sticks with the 3 CB's.

Helps that the centre backs are probably the strongest area of our squad, Fernandez hasn't even played last few games and he's a favourite. Lascelles was class today mind.

Really like this new system. Bring in Almiron and BA Baracus and we'll be much more dangerous on the break too.

Hope he sticks with the 3 CB's.

Helps that the centre backs are probably the strongest area of our squad, Fernandez hasn't even played last few games and he's a favourite. Lascelles was class today mind.

Agreed on all counts TRon.

Guest reefatoon

Throw Clark in the mix too who has let nobody down when he has played and you would be happy with any three playing out of that five. Really impressive bunch.