Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest neesy111

Aye, some of the defence of Rafa is absolutely ridiculous.  If he was such a perfect manager why is he at our club ffs.

But he's working with absolute shite for the league he's in, that's the owner's fault.

Again I don’t like his tactics, I don’t like his style of play and some of his team selections baffles me, but I trust the man and by that I mean with the whole club and especially long-term. I dare say someone like Steve Bruce would have taken us up last season and maybe with a better style, but we all know the moment we land in the PL it’s going to eventually turn to s***. What Rafa needs is better players. Imagine even the players even Pardew has had over the years at Rafa’s disposal? He is basically working with a Championship squad with one or two players of PL quality and even then those players are mid-table quality. I could put a question mark against every single one of our players when it comes to PL credentials. Rafa, I only have personal question marks which is his style of play, use of certain players and tactics. Ability wise.. well, the man was managing Real Madrid and well IMO before rocking up here.

"I dare say someone like Steve Bruce would have taken us up last season"

Just like he didn't with Aston Villa.

Aye, some of the defence of Rafa is absolutely ridiculous.  If he was such a perfect manager why is he at our club ffs.

But he's working with absolute shite for the league he's in, that's the owner's fault.

I have no idea why he is with us tbh, his previous job was Real Madrid ffs

Couldn’t give a fuck what Rafa has achieved previously. Starting Ritchie one of our most attacking players at LWB was a bad decision. Starting Diame CM was a bad decision.

He’s honestly making more wrong decisions then right at the moment. I hope he turns things around and trust that he will.

Couldn’t give a fuck what Rafa has achieved previously. Starting Ritchie one of our most attacking players at LWB was a bad decision. Starting Diame CM was a bad decision.

He’s honestly making more wrong decisions then right at the moment. I hope he turns things around and trust that he will.

Howay man. Other than his ability to put a ball in Ritchie's best attribute is his workrate. Hard working wingers are often put in at fullback when playing a back 3.

He seems to have done shite and I'd probably wait a while until trying him there again like.

Diame was fine at centre mid, started to fade later. Ritchie is normally defensively sound, how could he predict how awful a match he would have, stop talking shite

Some of the comments on here and across social media are a bit disheartening. Rafas a man who takes intense pride in every aspect of his work, he'll be disappointed too. Good to hear the sway contingent singing his name.

A bit disheartening?! They’re fucking outrageous!

I’m now starting to see why so many people give our fans grief for being thick and having unrealistic expectations. Some of the comments directed at Rafa are an absolute embarrassment.

Problem is, views like this make it appear that Benitez is infallible.  He's making plenty of decisions that several disagree with.  Loads of daft selections, subs, transfers.  I get that he isn't being given a suitable budget to work with, but he has cocked up a lot this year.

Its so infuriating to think that some on here and our fans think that if you criticise Rafa its out of order. Rafa has fucked up on many many occasions and if Pardew,Carver or Mclown done the same they would be absolutely lambasted for it. Rafa is not beyond criticism at all and I know he hasn't had a budget to work with but his signings have been fucking woeful as a whole and his tactics and subs usage at times has been staggering

who would have done better for us?

This response sums things up exactly how I feel. Your speaking as if he is the best thing since sliced bread are you telling me there is absolutely no managers who could have done any better or made any different decisions to him. If you think that then youre nuts. Im not saying id want Rafa sacked but hes made some absolute shit decisions. Has Sean Dyche had things better to work with in the championship and the prem league id say not yet hes doing a fantastic job at Burnley with what he has

Guest firetotheworks

I'd love to hear these failsafe suggestions for line ups and tactics from his critics tbh. So far I've seen him try a lot of the fan suggestions and yet the complaints are still there. There's not a settled team that will work against every team and I get the feeling that that's what some seem to think.

I'd love to hear these failsafe suggestions for line ups and tactics from his critics tbh. So far I've seen him try a lot of the fan suggestions and yet the complaints are still there. There's not a settled team that will work against every team and I get the feeling that that's what some seem to think.

like the ones that wanted 442 then we get ripped apart on the break, u think they would shut up after that.

Some of the comments on here and across social media are a bit disheartening. Rafas a man who takes intense pride in every aspect of his work, he'll be disappointed too. Good to hear the sway contingent singing his name.

A bit disheartening?! They’re f***ing outrageous!

I’m now starting to see why so many people give our fans grief for being thick and having unrealistic expectations. Some of the comments directed at Rafa are an absolute embarrassment.

Problem is, views like this make it appear that Benitez is infallible.  He's making plenty of decisions that several disagree with.  Loads of daft selections, subs, transfers.  I get that he isn't being given a suitable budget to work with, but he has cocked up a lot this year.

Its so infuriating to think that some on here and our fans think that if you criticise Rafa its out of order. Rafa has f***ed up on many many occasions and if Pardew,Carver or Mclown done the same they would be absolutely lambasted for it. Rafa is not beyond criticism at all and I know he hasn't had a budget to work with but his signings have been f***ing woeful as a whole and his tactics and subs usage at times has been staggering

This response sums things up exactly how I feel. Your speaking as if he is the best thing since sliced bread are you telling me there is absolutely no managers who could have done any better or made any different decisions to him. If you think that then youre nuts. Im not saying id want Rafa sacked but hes made some absolute s*** decisions. Has Sean Dyche had things better to work with in the championship and the prem league id say not yet hes doing a fantastic job at Burnley with what he has

Burnley finished 16th last season in their first season back in the PL. We're above 16th right now. Who's to say that this time next year if we stay up we can't be doing what Burnley are doing this season?

Cocked up according to who, you? Other world renowned football experts?

I fucking love this armchair management stuff - ‘obviously we’d have won if Mitro started instead of Joselu and Shelvey played alongside Merino’. The sheer fucking arrogance of it is staggering!

You’re talking about one of the best and most decorated managers in world football! We all have an opinion but being so certain that Rafa got this wrong or that wrong is laughable.

Oh right, no opinions allowed on a football forum.  Gotcha.

You can have your opinions, but if you can question Rafa's opinions, why you getting your knickers in a twist if someone questions yours?

Tired of the "if this was Pardew/Carver/McClaren" line, like. f***ing tedious.

It's a load of crap mate. When Benitez oversees a massive decline in fortunes like those clowns did, maybe he will get criticised in a similar way.

Rafa has probably frustrated us all several times these past couple of seasons, but he's doing everything he can do and more with the tools at his disposal.

Some of his stubbornness can be frustrating and there have been some less impressive signings (he admits himself a manager does well to get 70% or so success), but if we get taken over I absolutely wouldn't want anyone else.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa should never be compared with Pardew or McLaren, I find it weird when people say if Pardew did that etc. there would be an uproar. It’s like holding Joselu up to Shearer. Rafa does things because his methods have merit, when Pardew did something there was no thought put into it whatsoever. Santon DCM anyone?

Some of his stubbornness can be frustrating and there have been some less impressive signings (he admits himself a manager does well to get 70% or so success), but if we get taken over I absolutely wouldn't want anyone else.

Most of the players he wanted aren’t here.

Its so infuriating to think that some on here and our fans think that if you criticise Rafa its out of order. Rafa has f***ed up on many many occasions and if Pardew,Carver or Mclown done the same they would be absolutely lambasted for it. Rafa is not beyond criticism at all and I know he hasn't had a budget to work with but his signings have been f***ing woeful as a whole and his tactics and subs usage at times has been staggering

This response sums things up exactly how I feel. Your speaking as if he is the best thing since sliced bread are you telling me there is absolutely no managers who could have done any better or made any different decisions to him. If you think that then youre nuts. Im not saying id want Rafa sacked but hes made some absolute s*** decisions. Has Sean Dyche had things better to work with in the championship and the prem league id say not yet hes doing a fantastic job at Burnley with what he has

Burnley finished 16th last season in their first season back in the PL. We're above 16th right now. Who's to say that this time next year if we stay up we can't be doing what Burnley are doing this season?

Hindsight, prediction, alternative thinking is very much unacceptable on here.

Some people really need to take a look at the quality (or lack thereof) of our squad now and compare it to the squads of every single previous manager and then re-evaluate their opinion of Rafa.  Makes me mad to think about some of the quality that the likes of Pardew had at his disposal (and wasted) and then you look at what Rafa is managing to do with basically a Championship team..

like the ones that wanted 442 then we get ripped apart on the break, u think they would shut up after that.

Fairly sure they'd have been saying to go 442 in some games, other tactics in others.

Are you saying he's beyond criticism btw ?