Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Bad match today, but Rafa is the man. I have no problem giving him time [emoji1360]

How much time??

If we only have 25 points going into april is that fine?

Seeing as you've been lambasting him for a while now I assume you want him out. Who'd you bring in if he left/got sacked then?

Also behind Rafa 100%. We have a genuine football manager, and a great one at that, at the club for the first time in what seems like forever. I hate all this stuff about questioning him, we are working with a squad that's barely adequate for the championship and yet he managed to get us up with them.

He will have had a list of players, we all accept that, and it will have had a list of other choices if those could not be gotten. Thing is, he's been given very little to work with. Never mind <falsetto voice> "but they're his players", how far down the list are the players he got? How many were meant as long term prospects and not expected to have the weight of an entire campaign thrust upon them?

Imagine if The Duke of Wellington was sent to conquer Napoleon's armies, all of whom had cannon and horse whilst he had been provided with a gang of small kids waving blunt sticks. Just because you have a great general, it doesnt mean he can work miracles if you don't provide him with a decent calibre of troops.

This is why I can't be doing with the short sighted criticims I read. Like it would make the world of difference which barely adequate keeper we play. There is only so much anyone could do by switching poor player for poor player.

I love this forum and really enjoy the discourse on here by some really intelligent and helpful posters, but I would like those who criticise Rafa based only on what is in front of them now to really remember who we had as "managers" before. It makes me shudder with disgust when I think of those inept smeg harvesters who sucked up to ashley and left fans feeling underwhelmed with their dire management, yet it was Rafa who made me beleive in this club again. Think back to those times, then think forward to what we could be again and I think that our best chance of that better future is having Rafa at our helm.

Also behind Rafa 100%. We have a genuine football manager, and a great one at that, at the club for the first time in what seems like forever. I hate all this stuff about questioning him, we are working with a squad that's barely adequate for the championship and yet he managed to get us up with them.

He will have had a list of players, we all accept that, and it will have had a list of other choices if those could not be gotten. Thing is, he's been given very little to work with. Never mind <falsetto voice> "but they're his players", how far down the list are the players he got? How many were meant as long term prospects and not expected to have the weight of an entire campaign thrust upon them?

Imagine if The Duke of Wellington was sent to conquer Napoleon's armies, all of whom had cannon and horse whilst he had been provided with a gang of small kids waving blunt sticks. Just because you have a great general, it doesnt mean he can work miracles if you don't provide him with a decent calibre of troops.

This is why I can't be doing with the short sighted criticims I read. Like it would make the world of difference which barely adequate keeper we play. There is only so much anyone could do by switching poor player for poor player.

I love this forum and really enjoy the discourse on here by some really intelligent and helpful posters, but I would like those who criticise Rafa based only on what is in front of them now to really remember who we had as "managers" before. It makes me shudder with disgust when I think of those inept smeg harvesters who sucked up to ashley and left fans feeling underwhelmed with their dire management, yet it was Rafa who made me beleive in this club again. Think back to those times, then think forward to what we could be again and I think that our best chance of that better future is having Rafa at our helm.

Amen!

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm of the view that rafas tactics just don't work with the players at his disposal but he seems to think he can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  He needs to play to players strengths rather than stickinog round pegs in to square holes.

Agreed. He needs to cut some of the free and at home we need to be more energetic, more ambitious and more risk taking.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm of the feeling he's probably making more mistakes himself with subs etc because of how poor the squad is etc.

He’s been brave selection wise and is clearly working hard to find a solution, but sometimes it’s easier just to pick a team and give them a bit of freedom. He’s trying to micro manage every player, every situation, every eventuality and it’s not working. Something has to give. Again I’d like to see a midfield 5 of Murphy, Merino, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu and with Gayle up front. Enough defensive shape and enough attacking options.

Guest neesy111

I'm of the feeling he's probably making more mistakes himself with subs etc because of how poor the squad is etc.

He’s been brave selection wise and is clearly working hard to find a solution, but sometimes it’s easier just to pick a team and give them a bit of freedom. He’s trying to micro manage every player, every situation, every eventuality and it’s not working. Something has to give. Again I’d like to see a midfield 5 of Murphy, Merino, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu and with Gayle up front. Enough defensive shape and enough attacking options.

He's scared to imo, because defensively our players have constantly been making individual mistakes.

Behind him 100%

Don't always understand his selections but he knows better than me.

And Joselu is an easy scapegoat for some it would seem even when he's winning everything in the air, linking play well and not missing chances (he can't when the midfield don't create any for him to miss) while grafting his bollocks off.

He and the possible takeover are the only two reasons to continue supporting this horror movie of a club. Doesn't mean I agree with his decisions 100%, but there is no other manager I'd rather have at this moment, and given our dire position.

The mere thought of managers like Tony Pulis lurking in the shadows makes me physically ill.