Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

So they are actively trying to get rid of Rafa. Great.

I think that's been pretty obvious for a while now. Rafa knows it too but I'm sure he's staying til the end of his contract to piss them off/hoping that we get sold.

The fall out when he leaves should be spectacular.

I think that's been pretty obvious for a while now. Rafa knows it too but I'm sure he's staying til the end of his contract to piss them off/hoping that we get sold.

The level of disdain for Ashley and Charnley this time next year will be on epic levels

The level of disdain for Ashley and Charnley this time next year will be on epic levels

That depends a lot on how the local media spin it. The Chronicle had a big impact back in the days of John Hall and Shepherd, they seem pretty much neutered now. I suppose social media would have more impact now, but it all seems a bit fragmented in comparison.

Rafa can't buy players if he is at the world cup was probably their thinking.

I doubt the club offered him to Spain free of charge. Rafa is one of the club's most valuable assets, so renting him out for a month at a hefty fee (at a time when he is spending his time digging into the owner's pockets for transfer funds) would probably appeal to financial savant Mike Ashely.

The aspect of this that I do no understand is Rafa's role. Did he actually have the desire to manage Spain on one day's notice in June? If so, why would the avenue to achieve this be an email or post letter from Newcastle to the Spanish federation? I would assume he has direct contact with these people. Rafa is not a slave or a prostitute, Ashley cannot go around offering his services to people without his consent. :lol: Something with the story does not make sense.

The Chronicle would fold without access to the club, it's barely hanging on as it is. 

It's a difficult situation for them given how ban-happy Ashley is.

I know what you mean, but do people really care about "Sterry says the toon will come out fighting!" articles?

They must do tbh, aye. There was a recent editorial decision to focus only on Newcastle and Sunderland at the cost of grassroots football and other sports and that must be based on some research of what their now small readership want to read. Losing access to the club would be catastrophic for them, the printed version would be finished after a few months of that.

Guest chopey

So it's confirmed that Ashley wants Rafa gone, at least we know why he's got no money now, he must have thought Rafa would go part time and then leave after successful world cup Spain would pay compo and he could go back and get Fat Sam or Pardew

Guest chopey

Ashley wants a patsy to show no ambition go out of the cups early and just survive as cheaply as possible at the same time making money on players.

I'm convinced Rafa will be sacked sooner rather than later

This is confusing - didn't Rafa say he was approached by Spain a few weeks ago? Or was that Bishop's PR nonsense?

There was definitely something said about it while the world cup was still going on, I do remember reading that.

Spanish federation president says that we offered Rafa to manage Spain at the world cup

Jesus wept

“When I sacked Julen I immediately called Hierro and told him I didn’t want to make any changes. Two days later a letter arrived from Newcastle saying ‘Are you interested in our coach? He’s at your disposition.’ We said thanks but no,” Rubiales told Spanish radio station Cadena COPE on Tuesday.

“We would have never done that, we couldn’t hire Benitez because it would have been acting in the same way for which we reproached Julen.”

:lol: :lol: amazing

This is confusing - didn't Rafa say he was approached by Spain a few weeks ago? Or was that Bishop's PR nonsense?

There was definitely something said about it while the world cup was still going on, I do remember reading that.

Was in the interview by Sky in Ireland training camp.

Guest reefatoon

Was more than likely the club telling him that, trying to egg him on to go speak to them, after they posted their letter off second class.