Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

In a twisted way I'm sort of looking to the day Rafa leaves.  I'm sure he has dirt on Charnley and Ashley over transfers etc .

Yeah but so what? It's not like people don't already know he's a giant cunt. It won't do anything other than make us more angry/depressed.

Pardew had a much better squad but also had huge limitations as a manager, I'm told we have a world class manager, the team isn't great but it's better than no wins in 9 and 2 points from Cardiff, Brighton and palace.

Nobody thinks Benitez is the big problem here, but he shouldn't be the only manager in history not to be questioned after no wins in 9 ffs.

Put the cult hero status to one side for a moment, 1 win in 15, no wins in 9, he's doing incredibly poorly.

"But who would you get who do you want to replace him?"

I don't want him replaced I want him to do a better job.

Mate, the team is shite and there’s no one who can put a ball in the net. This is all due to under-investment, not Champions league winning manager Rafa Benitez.

Works both ways though. Pardew would've got slated for no win in 9 games, yet people keep ringing Rafa's name out at SJP..

Yeah, it's not like one of those managers had a squad full of internationals who were good enough to use us as a stepping stone to Champions League football at the bottom of the league and the other has a squad that was assembled to win the Championship, or anything.

The way some people have suddenly decided that, actually, yes Lewis Hamilton is driving against Formula One cars in a Renault Clio, but he's not blameless because he should be doing better and the tactics and pit stops are all wrong, is frankly embarrassing. I'm embarrassed that we have people like that in our fanbase.

This is where we are at sadly.

Utterly dumb c***s who turn up every other week, can't be arsed to raise their voice or protest in any shape or form against the owner, and have now started to turn on the manager without even taking into account the environment that he is working in.....repeatedly lied to & undermined by the owner, no money spent, cheap players & loans, appalling training facilities, etc. etc.

Staggering how thick some people are like, i don't consider myself particularly clever either.

These people deserve everything that is coming. Morons.

Pardew had a much better squad but also had huge limitations as a manager, I'm told we have a world class manager, the team isn't great but it's better than no wins in 9 and 2 points from Cardiff, Brighton and palace.

Nobody thinks Benitez is the big problem here, but he shouldn't be the only manager in history not to be questioned after no wins in 9 ffs.

Put the cult hero status to one side for a moment, 1 win in 15, no wins in 9, he's doing incredibly poorly.

Mate, the team is shite and there’s no one who can put a ball in the net. This is all due to under-investment, not Champions league winning manager Rafa Benitez.

He fought tooth and Neil for months to get players in and has to settle for relegation rejects, one that’s been okay and last minute loans. It’s the crux of the issue, the rest is deciding what colour bandage to use when your leg is actually hanging off.

Guest firetotheworks

Pardew had a much better squad but also had huge limitations as a manager, I'm told we have a world class manager

So Rafa should be doing better because he's better. He is doing better, he's doing better than any of these weird comparisons would be doing with these players. It's not even remotely like for like.

the team isn't great but it's better than no wins in 9 and 2 points from Cardiff, Brighton and palace.

Says who? :lol: The Premier League has been littered with far better teams with far worse records than that. It's strange how you've mentioned teams but not included Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Leicester. Personally I had us down as having 4 points at this stage.

He isn't the first at all. Here are just a few that I can think of that got nigh on no pressure because of the hand they were dealt

Mike Phelan and Marco Silva at Hull. (£2.8m net spend on sub-standard players)

Sean Dyche at Burnley (spent nothing)

Billy Davies and Paul Jewell at Derby. (£9m net spend on sub-standard players)

and then, staggeringly, you had people defending Pardew while he was here because 'his hands are tied'

So, just to clarify:

he's had 1 win in 15 - ignoring that the 4 you've added were after we'd secured safety

no wins in 9 - 6 of which were against Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Leicester.

The club made a £20m profit on transfers and it's clear that the players, particularly our striking options haven't been fixed.

but he's doing incredibly poorly?

Just to bring up the Formula One analogy again, would you still think Lewis Hamilton and his pit crew should still be questioned on their tuning set up and pit stops if they were racing against Formula One cars in a Formula Two car?

"But who would you get who do you want to replace him?" I don't want him replaced I want him to do a better job.

I'm sure he does too, but then he's a football obsessed workaholic who's won more in the game than most other managers in the league, so if you're saying he should be doing better, who would be more qualified to get more from this squad than him?

Honestly it's embarrassing and it's exactly the sort of half-truth, muddying the waters, can't see the wood for the trees, 'debate' that Ashley has been banking on.

Give Rafa a Cisse, Remy or Ba and we'd be fine.

Give him an Andros Townsend even. It's not like Rafa was asking for the earth. Unfortunately even asking for other team's scraps from the bin is too much for Ashley. We literally haggled over a price for Rondon...

This is what I was basically getting at, but fuck me the fanboys are really out to slit my throat.

Can't have no criticism on Rafa, absolutely not.

A "world class" manager is underperforming, if you can accept it or not is entirely up to you.

Don't give me that shite about Championship side neither, Brighton/Burnley are managing fine and their squad isn't exactly far better than ours.

Even the Cardiff side is doing better than ours ffs, whats our excuse there? Ashley again?

Rafa fanboys ffs. He’s our manager. Criticise Rafa - fine but what does it come back to tactics? The defence is fine largely and were reliant on duds to score. Motivation? The entire club is toxic and he’s undermined. Recruitment? We all know about that and it’s hardly Rafas wishes. Ultimately, it’s a futile exercise. There’s only so many angles worth coming at it from.

As much as I love everything Rafa stands for, I do believe his tactics aren't particularly suited to us at the moment. Man Utd away, 2-0 up at half time... spend the entire second half camped in our own half rather than trying to put the game to bed. 1-0 down to Brighton and getting loads of crosses into the box without any physical presence on the pitch... as soon as he brings on our best header of the ball, all of a sudden we stop putting crosses in at all. We needed all 3 of our forwards on the pitch for the last 15 minutes, no questions.

I dunno... I do love the guy, and I know the issues run right to the top, but I'm not convinced he's doing as well as he could be.

(Tin hat on)

Cardiff, Burnley and Brighton haven't played Spurs, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Man United in their opening 8 games though. Yes, I'll accept that the Cardiff and Leicester performances were dire but I think that's more indicative of the quality of player he has to work with.

This is what I was basically getting at, but fuck me the fanboys are really out to slit my throat.

A "world class" manager is underperforming, if you can accept it or not is entirely up to you.

Don't give me that shite about Championship side neither, Brighton/Burnley are managing fine and their squad isn't exactly far better than ours.

Even the Cardiff side is doing better than ours ffs, whats our excuse there? Ashley again?

Bang on, it always goes the same way though, if you dare question Rafa's involvement in the poor run you are an Ashley sympathiser and you are expected to come armed with a list of people who could do a better job.

I just think he should be held accountable since... you know hes responsible for getting the best out of these players at the end of the day, did I expect us to be even mid table after the teams we've faced, no I certainly didn't but I would hope for more than 2 points from Leicester, Palace, Brighton and Cardiff, and I'd maybe hope we could nick something off at least one of the big sides maybe on just one occasion if possible.

He has been messed around the squad is underfunded and he would be doing better with a better hand, my argument is that he should be doing better with the hand he does have, theres quality in that squad still albeit not enough.

As much as I love everything Rafa stands for, I do believe his tactics aren't particularly suited to us at the moment. Man Utd away, 2-0 up at half time... spend the entire second half camped in our own half rather than trying to put the game to bed.

I disagree. For 60 minutes we were pushing for the third. Only once Diame conceded the free kick which Mata scored from where we on the back foot.

1-0 down to Brighton and getting loads of crosses into the box without any physical presence on the pitch... as soon as he brings on our best header of the ball, all of a sudden we stop putting crosses in at all. We needed all 3 of our forwards on the pitch for the last 15 minutes, no questions.
Agreed, 2 up front was needed. They were letting us cross the ball in because they knew that Dunk and Duffy would win the headers every time. The fact that there was barely any pressure on their 18 yard line with 15 minutes to go at 0-1 down at home is worrying.

I dunno... I do love the guy, and I know the issues run right to the top, but I'm not convinced he's doing as well as he could be.

(Tin hat on)

Everyone can be doing things better but I can't personally begrudge him one bit. Yeah, some minute changes I would've liked to have been different but on the whole with the hand he's been dealt by the cunts upstairs and by the fixture list, we're probably where we expected to be. I expected 4 more points than we currently have (wins v Cardiff and Brighton) at the start of the season but the gaping reasons in the side as to why we haven't got those points is clear, and it ain't down to Rafa.

Guest firetotheworks

This is what I was basically getting at, but f*** me the fanboys are really out to slit my throat.

Don't give me that s**** about Championship side neither, Brighton/Burnley are managing fine and their squad isn't exactly far better than ours.

Bang on, it always goes the same way though, if you dare question Rafa's involvement in the poor run you are an Ashley sympathiser and you are expected to come armed with a list of people who could do a better job.

I just think he should be held accountable since... you know hes responsible for getting the best out of these players at the end of the day, did I expect us to be even mid table after the teams we've faced, no I certainly didn't but I would hope for more than 2 points from Leicester, Palace, Brighton and Cardiff, and I'd maybe hope we could nick something off at least one of the big sides maybe on just one occasion if possible.

He has been messed around the squad is underfunded and he would be doing better with a better hand, my argument is that he should be doing better with the hand he does have, theres quality in that squad still albeit not enough.

Get over yourselves. If you're going to have an opinion, people are going to challenge it. Don't act like you're being silenced when you're just being disagreed with. You can always reply to my post replying to yours, but as yet you haven't.

From a blog I've just read.

Ah Newcastle United; what act has the tragicomic pantomime reached in this international break? Well, on the pitch events continue to demonstrate that Benitez is the Noel Gallagher of football management; washed-up, hopeless, irrelevant and turning into an embarrassment. Indeed, his refusal to allow the likes of Freddy Woodman to go out on loan is more akin to something from Josef Ftizl’s parenting manual. A grand total of 1 point, courtesy of an unconvincing non-display at Selhurst Park where Palace spurned half a dozen gilt-edged chances, was harvested from the latest set of fixtures which included timid and predictable home losses to Arsenal and Leicester, where the ponderous sicknote Rondon (aka Slimani II) was hors de combat with some mysterious ailment that really ought to have precluded his signing in the first place, not to mention the five goal tragedy at Old Trafford. Sels, Lazaar, Games, Manquillo, Slimani and now Rondon; with that kind of record in the transfer market you can understand why Ashley keeps his friends close and his wallet closer.

Having widely been predicted as being an unwatchable mess, Mourinho’s Evening of Rehabilitation turned into the game of the season so far, while Liverpool versus Man City stunk the place out. Newcastle enjoyed 70 minutes of untroubled dominance, but a 2-0 lead turned into a desperate late loss as Mourinho kept his job, which is almost as farcical a state of affairs as Benitez keeping his.  At any normal club, things really ought to be hotting up for Benitez, as the newly slimline and frankly rather handsome Mike Ashley has been attending games of late to see El Rey de la Mierda de Toro’s tactical masterclass at first hand.

Without question, Ashley has been a devastatingly malign influence on Newcastle United, but the dinosaur tactics, miserable demeanour, rank incompetence in the transfer market and utter inability to accept any responsibility for the dire situation the team is in must all count against Benitez. The owner saw the abject failure in front of goal against Palace and Leicester; no goals scored, and, in the case of the latter game, a defeat assured the moment the team sheet was submitted. Don’t forget the storm of booing that greeted Benitez’s decision to withdraw Matt Ritchie at that game and the vastly increased numbers of fans who are starting to question the way the manager is going about his job. Many more are starting to see the validity in the “If Rafa stays I go” anti bullshit standpoint.

I winder who wrote that? Someone who thrives on being controversial and hates anyone associated with true faith, perhaps?

Rafa fanboys ffs. He’s our manager. Criticise Rafa - fine but what does it come back to tactics? The defence is fine largely and were reliant on duds to score. Motivation? The entire club is toxic and he’s undermined. Recruitment? We all know about that and it’s hardly Rafas wishes. Ultimately, it’s a futile exercise. There’s only so many angles worth coming at it from.

I disagree about the defence as I do not think the full backs are up to scratch especially in an attacking frame. Think all of the players in this position at the club are extremely limited

I disagree about the defence as I do not think the full backs are up to scratch especially in an attacking frame. Think all of the players in this position at the club are extremely limited

You can't get past that ultimately. Which of our players would a half decent side even be interested in?

From a blog I've just read.

Ah Newcastle United; what act has the tragicomic pantomime reached in this international break? Well, on the pitch events continue to demonstrate that Benitez is the Noel Gallagher of football management; washed-up, hopeless, irrelevant and turning into an embarrassment. Indeed, his refusal to allow the likes of Freddy Woodman to go out on loan is more akin to something from Josef Ftizl’s parenting manual. A grand total of 1 point, courtesy of an unconvincing non-display at Selhurst Park where Palace spurned half a dozen gilt-edged chances, was harvested from the latest set of fixtures which included timid and predictable home losses to Arsenal and Leicester, where the ponderous sicknote Rondon (aka Slimani II) was hors de combat with some mysterious ailment that really ought to have precluded his signing in the first place, not to mention the five goal tragedy at Old Trafford. Sels, Lazaar, Games, Manquillo, Slimani and now Rondon; with that kind of record in the transfer market you can understand why Ashley keeps his friends close and his wallet closer.

Having widely been predicted as being an unwatchable mess, Mourinho’s Evening of Rehabilitation turned into the game of the season so far, while Liverpool versus Man City stunk the place out. Newcastle enjoyed 70 minutes of untroubled dominance, but a 2-0 lead turned into a desperate late loss as Mourinho kept his job, which is almost as farcical a state of affairs as Benitez keeping his.  At any normal club, things really ought to be hotting up for Benitez, as the newly slimline and frankly rather handsome Mike Ashley has been attending games of late to see El Rey de la Mierda de Toro’s tactical masterclass at first hand.

Without question, Ashley has been a devastatingly malign influence on Newcastle United, but the dinosaur tactics, miserable demeanour, rank incompetence in the transfer market and utter inability to accept any responsibility for the dire situation the team is in must all count against Benitez. The owner saw the abject failure in front of goal against Palace and Leicester; no goals scored, and, in the case of the latter game, a defeat assured the moment the team sheet was submitted. Don’t forget the storm of booing that greeted Benitez’s decision to withdraw Matt Ritchie at that game and the vastly increased numbers of fans who are starting to question the way the manager is going about his job. Many more are starting to see the validity in the “If Rafa stays I go” anti bullshit standpoint.

I winder who wrote that? Someone who thrives on being controversial and hates anyone associated with true faith, perhaps?

True Faith is utter wank.

In a twisted way I'm sort of looking to the day Rafa leaves.  I'm sure he has dirt on Charnley and Ashley over transfers etc .

Yeah but so what? It's not like people don't already know he's a giant cunt. It won't do anything other than make us more angry/depressed.

It might stir the silent majority out of their slumber.