Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I was naively hoping he would stay but after these interviews it seems very unlikely.

Struggling to think of a suitable club for him in England, oddly enough I think Manchester United could do a lot worse than appoint him (such as Solskjaer), but of course that's never going to happen for obvious reasons.

I see him moving back to Italy. Clubs such as Milan or Roma should really be moving heaven and earth to appoint him.

Rafa doesn't want complete control of the club football wise as I've seen some say (may have misread something so apologises if i have). He wants the training ground improved, and the ability to sign players he wants, not players lower on his list because his first choice is 28 years old.

He seems quite willing to work within a set budget but they want too much say in the age of the players he wants to sign. Yet again their collective brains are in their arses, let Rafa sign who he wants and more money will come in than buying a young player hoping he can be sold on.

They're so thick.

From what I read it seems he wants to know what budget he has to work with and have transfers done quicker which is reasonable, but he wants to spend the money as he sees fit and if that means spending it all on players over 30 years old then he feels his decisions shouldn't be questioned. Ashley is probably the extreme case, but not many owners will give managers that sort of control these days. I do think the club has to compromise though to allow some experienced players be signed and getting Rondon makes sense as he has proven to be quality this season. I agree with a lot of the demands Benitez has asked from the club, but its just not realistic to expect Ashley or even other clubs to give the kind of control he wants from transfers even managers at Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea have to work under directors of football or transfer committees.

I do agree with this however much it frustrates us, these days managers don't get to dictate buying policy and I just don't see Ashley compromising at all. It's going to fuck us over big time in the long run, we'll go back to having a team of random bargain parts instead of a well organised squad which understands how to implement a game plan devised by a manager who knows exactly what he wants.

I think Rafa wants to dictate buying policy at Newcastle because there is no structure there.

At LFC we have Edwards (our DOF + main scout), Gordon (finance guy), and Klopp. Gordon gets the total budget from the owners. Klopp makes the list of requirements and type of players available to Edwards. Edwards scouts and creates a list with ranking and value. Then the three of them get together and make decisions on the players depending on Klopps needs, budget, value, and price of each player. Rafa would be absolutely fine with such a system.

Problem is that under Ashley there has been no coherent purchasing strategy which is aimed at helping Newcastle compete at the highest level. Add to that his history of screwing people.

The thing with us though is that we have had similar structures, but what happens is that Charnley looks at the list, organises it from price (cheapest) and doesn’t go past a certain point. They will look at Perez who was signed for something like £2m and is doing well now and think that players like him can still be found for around that price. The thing is though Perez was basically a unique situation where the club pretty much had to sell him cheaply. These days there is no La Liga club going to sell a player to a Premier League club for that much now, and we know that because we sold a young player from our academy to Everton for £6m (who had never played for us), and even MLS teams are not prepared to sell their stars cheaply now, look at Almirón.

But the system is only as good as the competency of the people and the objective of the owner. Edwards and Gordon are in a different league compared to Charnley. So is FSG compared to Ashley.

I dont think Rafa wants complete control. He is ok with other people having power as long as there is transparency and competency. In his first few years at LFC, he was happy to bring in Rodolfo Borrell from Barca and make him in charge of the youth team development. There was another guy from Barca whom he bought in and he became some kind of defacto DOF. It was only when G&H took over, that the trust was broken, transparency was lost. That is when he fought for total control.

Sick part of me almost wants to see him leave as I can't watch another season with this absolute legend in charge fighting tooth and nail to keep us in the league. It's agonising knowing how much potential the club has with Rafa in charge, but it's just not going to happen under this rancid regime.

But, of course, I love the guy and want NUFC to actually go somewhere, but it's just not going to happen unless the club is sold. It's genuinely distressing thinking about all of this.

For the moment though, how fucking good is it in the Gallowgate when 'Rafael's black n white army' really gets going and the lads at the back bang on the boards? Genuinely one my favorite things in life. God bless you, Rafa.

If Rafa is allowed to leave then I honestly give up on this club.

Yup same. Maybe it's hyperbole but at this stage, Rafa IS bigger than the club. Reason being is that he embodies everything we wish the club to be; hard working, honest, excels at his job and feels genuine love and a sense of pride being a part of it.

Yup same. Maybe it's hyperbole but at this stage, Rafa IS bigger than the club. Reason being is that he embodies everything we wish the club to be; hard working, honest, excels at his job and feels genuine love and a sense of pride being a part of it.

Rafa is not bigger then the club. Would love for him to stay but it won't be the end of the world if he leaves. There will be a time when he won't be here, sooner or later. The most important thing is to get rid of Ashley. He's the real cancer and nothing will change as long as he is here.

In a perfect world Ashley leaves and Rafa stays though.

Rafa is not bigger then the club. Would love for him to stay but it won't be the end of the world if he leaves. There will be a time when he won't be here, sooner or later. The most important thing is to get rid of Ashley. He's the real cancer and nothing will change as long as he is here.

In a perfect world Ashley leaves and Rafa stays though.

Obviously the club is bigger than any one person, except whoever happens to own it. If it's a straight battle between Ashley and Benitez though I'll side with Benitez over Ashley's version of NUFC any day. Symbolically speaking.

13 games could just be good form, we’ve got the 7th best record over the last 27 games. A proper centre-forward over our first run of games plus Almiron and we’d have been in the mix for Europe. If he stays and could strengthen even 2-3 areas we could be in for a good season.

13 games could just be good form, we’ve got the 7th best record over the last 27 games. A proper centre-forward over our first run of games plus Almiron and we’d have been in the mix for Europe. If he stays and could strengthen even 2-3 areas we could be in for a good season.

:lol:

I think you are forgetting that only last week, Charnley confirmed that the intention is, yet again, simply to stay in the PL. There is no plan for progression.