Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He'll only stay if we do things properly so I don't agree with your last line.

Aye right. He'll stay if he's told we'll do things properly. He's a mug like the rest of us. "Maybe this time it'll be different!!!!"

He stays, Ashley stays, and in a good year we might make it to 10th place and the 4th round of the FA Cup. Woo. #TeamSpaceWullie

Aye let’s just get relegated instead :clap2:

While everyone in the country has a party watching us go back down to the Championship again.

I don’t ever want to see that League again.

Hopefully Rafa waits Mike Ashley out if not not then at least he’ll have progressed the club and given a good platform for the next manager who then might get a new owner down the line.

Going down took us back years but thanks to Rafa we’re now back to having a solid base to become a Top 10 club again the last 30 Premier League game table shows that.

Makes me laugh how people are taking for granted getting 10th first season up and even more points this season look at how Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff, Brighton have done since coming up compared to us.

You’d think if he wasn’t staying he’d have taken one of them up on their offer like.

Or maybe he wants to see what's MA has to say (rightly or wrongly)?

I haven't read the report, but if his reply to them is along the lines of he's talking to NUFC, then that doesn't necessarily mean much.

You’d think if he wasn’t staying he’d have taken one of them up on their offer like.

I haven't read the report, but if his reply to them is along the lines of he's talking to NUFC, then that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Would he risk those clubs looking elsewhere and passing up clubs like that if he wasn’t pretty sure he was staying here?

Aye right. He'll stay if he's told we'll do things properly. He's a mug like the rest of us. "Maybe this time it'll be different!!!!"

He stays, Ashley stays, and in a good year we might make it to 10th place and the 4th round of the FA Cup. Woo. #TeamSpaceWullie

If he stays and we have a summer window like the last one, I'd hope he'd have the integrity to tell them to get fucked.

Would he risk those clubs looking elsewhere and passing up clubs like that if he wasn’t pretty sure he was staying here?

Hes desperate to stay in this country and even if nothing is there right now there will be come October.

If that happens he’ll just go - no fireworks, no fanfare just a squib and another waste of time.

Of course, sadly, but I'm disputing the suggestion that we'll be in a relegation scrap 'whether he stays or goes'. If we're in a relegation scrap, it means he's gone.

Do people really think Mike Ashley is going to just suddenly start being a competent owner?

Nah, but if he makes some compromises that are good enough for rafa, then it's probably the best we're going to get.

If that happens he’ll just go - no fireworks, no fanfare just a squib and another waste of time.

Of course, sadly, but I'm disputing the suggestion that we'll be in a relegation scrap 'whether he stays or goes'. If we're in a relegation scrap, it means he's gone.

I see. I mean I’m so of the belief the ambitions are just too incongruous if not in the short term, then in the long term. There’s almost no point in thinking about what about next year as long as the bar is so low. Anyway we say this every fucking year and millions still goes through the turnstiles.

If he stays and we have a summer window like the last one, I'd hope he'd have the integrity to tell them to get fucked.

He's had loads of opportunities to tell them to get fucked already, but it appears his contract limited him from doing so without a significant financial hit. I guess it'll all depend on the new contract, whether he accepts the same kind of hit in a resignation situation.

So yeah, assuming he signs up again, and doesn't fuck himself with the contract, we'll probably get another year of nothingness and he'll peace out next summer or something. More purgatory for us I guess. Then again, we all know you're a big fan of purgatory ;)

This. Only one man wins as usual either way and that's king mike as always

He's had loads of opportunities to tell them to get fucked already, but it appears his contract limited him from doing so without a significant financial hit. I guess it'll all depend on the new contract, whether he accepts the same kind of hit in a resignation situation.

So yeah, assuming he signs up again, and doesn't fuck himself with the contract, we'll probably get another year of nothingness and he'll peace out next summer or something. More purgatory for us I guess. Then again, we all know you're a big fan of purgatory ;)

Nice. :lol:

I dunno, I guess I just see it playing out differently. He stays, we invest and challenge, or he goes - hopefully immediately, and we can put the whole charade to bed.

Obviously I hope you're right, but IMO, option 3 is far more likely. He stays, he's told we'll invest and challenge, we don't (or we do in fits & starts), he leaves after X months/years.

If he signs on there will have to be offset language: if Fat Mike doesn't provide x, Rafa can fuck off for y.

It's a mad kind of contract that needs that, wonder if it's even possible to draft and/or enforce.

you'd have to stipulate what the spend can be for each window (assume 50m + player sales) and then if one side disagrees to the total,  have a mechanism for audit and mediation because we know Fat Bastard will try to move the goalposts.

A point about the length of time it's taking, presumably there are lawyers on either side of the discussion working on things. This whole 'Rafa and Charnerz are just WhatsApping now' seems a bit far-fetched to me; surely there are others involved in the specifics?

The next payment from the prem will allegedly be 20% less. I can't see MA committing himself to future spends. He has always run a very tight ship and will continue to do that with or without Rafa

If he signs on there will have to be offset language: if Fat Mike doesn't provide x, Rafa can fuck off for y.

It's a mad kind of contract that needs that, wonder if it's even possible to draft and/or enforce.

you'd have to stipulate what the spend can be for each window (assume 50m + player sales) and then if one side disagrees to the total,  have a mechanism for audit and mediation because we know Fat Bastard will try to move the goalposts.

Yeah, but so many things that are difficult to write down. Like what if a deal falls through because 'they tried' or the player didn't agree to come? I can see a court having a lot of difficulty ruling on things like that.

Hes desperate to stay in this country and even if nothing is there right now there will be come October.

Come October he’ll be 8 months behind where he’d want to be with any club. He could have went to either of those with a full summer to rebuild their teams to how he wants, a full pre-season and probably be in the Champions League in 12 months time. Whatever job he gets in October will likely be a team who’ve had a poor start to the season, signed players he may not particularly have wanted and then have 2/3s of a season trying to get them his way.