Newcastle United vs. Stoke City - 16/09/17 @ 3pm (No TV)

HaydnNUFC

Elliot

Yedlin        Lascelles    Clark    Manquillo

Hayden      Merino

Ritchie                  Shelvey          Atsu

Joselu

I would like to see Yedlin start (if proper fit) at RB but keep Gamez at LB.

I wouldn't mind giving Shelvey the chance as no 10 instead of Perez.

Hope to see Atsu. Murphy was a real disappointment...but still early days.

Joselu should be up for it. Let's hope the former player curse comes out to bite them.

Were Stoke the last PL team to have a player send off at SJP? Whoever it is, it's going back years, and I think it might be that game where they went down to 9. Hughes was spewing that day. It was well funny.

Newcastle United v Stoke City

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Assistants: Stephen Child, Matthew Wilkes

Fourth official: Lee Mason

Cant keep up on which are the shit ones these days

Atwell is the one who was demoted after giving that ghost goal for Reading against Watford, when it went wide of the post and someone tried to clear it to prevent a corner.  Got let back in the prem in 2014.

I'd try and play Atsu instead of Perez at #10. Not sure it will work but it's not impossible Imo.

I agree that Perez has had a couple of games completely pass him by and isn't looking great but I'd have serious reservations over whether Atsu would have the positional discipline to play at 10.

I'd have Merino there ahead of Atsu personally. I'd also try Shelvey there.

I'd try and play Atsu instead of Perez at #10. Not sure it will work but it's not impossible Imo.

I agree that Perez has had a couple of games completely pass him by and isn't looking great but I'd have serious reservations over whether Atsu would have the positional discipline to play at 10.

I'd have Merino there ahead of Atsu personally. I'd also try Shelvey there.

Shelvey definitely as Merino is having a very good in CM. Shelvey at least has a good shot on him. Perez needs a spell out of the side as his decision making has been atrocious of late.

Another different type of challenge. They've started really well when you consider the opposition they faced. Narrowly beaten on the opening day at Everton, beat Arsenal, drew away to WBA (which isn't an easy place to go) and drew this weekend against Manure.

They have a big strong defensive back line and some quality in an attacking perspective. I doubt they play the same open game that West Ham did against us and they are not going to be keeping the ball for keeping it sake, like Swansea. We may need a different approach here to get the win, all signs point to a draw tough in my view.

On paper this game is perfect to continue the momentum but in the real world there couldn't really be a harder game to come.

A team that will be set up to play similarly to us with the added extra of diving bodies or players potentially leaving a foot in.  It'll be the usual case of a team trying to play the crowd up here in expectation that it will turn. The majority wont but there's always the odd numpty group that is quick to change their opinion or be of the type that believes the media shite.  Hopefully that wont be on match day.

Still cant see Shelvey getting a start which means it's one more game closer to Merino either getting that permanent deal or Ashley putting the block on him being chosen. Barring injury, confirmation of either could come around Christmas.

If we get a team that plays it one game at a time and keeps the attitude of us against the world then that'll do for me. The result then wont be far away.

Merino, Shelvey, Atsu, Ritchie...neither of them is a #10 IMO. Would make more sense to play Diamé there.

It's almost like there's no actual personnel fixes to any of the current problems in the squad no matter how creative you try to get.

Exactly.

My assumption is that we'll play Ritchie, Perez, Atsu behind Joselu and Shelvey will start next to Merino. Feel like Hayden may be given a break after last week. If he doesn't rest Hayden he'll start him next to Merino. Think Shelvey will have to really work himself back into this squad if that's the case. 

What is our fully-fit (sans PD) best back 4? Assuming Yedlin is our #1 RB, and Mbemba is probably our best LB at the moment, who plays CB?

There's absolutely no way you could shift Lascelles or Clark after two clean sheets in a row, but Lejeune will be on hand as soon as one of them has a slip.

Clark was superb against West Ham and Lascelles the same against Swansea, so it's hard to say with any confidence that bringing in Lejeune would improve things at the moment.

A draw would be perfectly acceptable off the back of 2 wins.

But a win would be pure wank material.

:thup:

We've put ourselves in a nice spot now, so can hopefully play without too much pressure. Obviously expect us to go for a win but a draw keeps us ticking along nicely.