Premier League 'top six' want 35% of International TV money to be 'merit based'

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

I can see them presenting it as a reason to aspire to be more than just a club going through the motions and a reason to aim higher. Modern football's fucking ruining everything, like.

It's inevitable that the bigger clubs will end up with their own TV deals, as has what has happened in Spain with Real and Barcelona. In football, greed always wins. :( If we were part of the big 6 (and we used to be), would people feel the same way?

Hasn't Spain gone the other way now?

Also this appears to be restricted to the overseas money so relatively smaller amount BUT no doubt if they get their way with this then the domestic money will be next

Could the remaining 14 just vote away and form our own league and fuck the top 6 off? Let them play a glorified version of the Scottish Premier League after the split...but for 9 months a year. They'll sharp get bored.

The top 6 still rely on having 38 Premier League games each, as does everybody else. The institution is still the most important thing to every club inside it; it disbanding is literally the most unlikely thing that would happen.

It's inevitable that the bigger clubs will end up with their own TV deals, as has what has happened in Spain with Real and Barcelona. In football, greed always wins. :( If we were part of the big 6 (and we used to be), would people feel the same way?

Hasn't Spain gone the other way now?

Also this appears to be restricted to the overseas money so relatively smaller amount BUT no doubt if they get their way with this then the domestic money will be next

That's already how it works with the domestic money.

Might just be me, but don't really see this as the end of football or anything. I'm obviously against it, but teams wanting similar deals for the international as domestic coverage isn't that strange to me. The thread title is a little bit misleading as well IMO.

I agree it's greedy and unfair. But is it team specific or position specific?

Position.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s chairman, is understood to have presented a proposal to a meeting of the other 14 clubs held at the Pullman hotel in London on Wednesday, for 35% of the next international TV money to be distributed according to “merit” – in other words, where clubs finish in the league.

I wouldn't be opposed to more merit based payments if the deck wasn't already stacked so heavily in favor of those at the top.

Wonder if they might try to compromise on top 10?

Yup. I’m with you here. If they went merit based for 35% of the payments, it wouldn’t be a big deal if they banned loans and buyback clauses and all that nonsense that locks in good young players to the big teams.

The goal should be to create a system where there is competitiveness.

Instead of top clubs wanting even more cash, the real answer is capping transfer fee's, wages and %'s an agent can have. Bring down ridiculous costs and stop it inflating so much so the existing money prizes mean more.

If we simply hand more money out then it just keeps this the silly money saga growing.

See, incentivising the top half of the table could work on making the whole league more competitive. Would go some way to livening up the dead zone of the middle. But the top 6 idea is a definite no-go in my opinion. It'll widen the dead zone.

It's presumably isn't going to just be the top 6 getting more, it'll be a scale similar to the domestic tv money. It's just that it's the top 6 proposing the change.

Chelsea, City and Spurs have some fucking nerve. :lol: The first two are lucky a billionaire put them there and Spurs have only recently become one of the established top 6. I'm finding it hard to disagree with the reasoning for it though, I mean certainly 5 of those teams are the reason why the figures are so high. West Brom vs Palace isn't pulling in that money, but the whole league plays it's part and the other sides need the ability to compete and break the top 6 so fuck this idea.

It'd obviously be utterly minging, but I wouldn't be 'done with football' if it happened. It isn't news to me that the elite of the elite are vile, greedy bastards.

I don't have to waste my time with it is all. I'd be done with the premier league for definite. No point in being elite if it's a stacked deck.

It'd obviously be utterly minging, but I wouldn't be 'done with football' if it happened. It isn't news to me that the elite of the elite are vile, greedy bastards.

I don't have to waste my time with it is all. I'd be done with the premier league for definite. No point in being elite if it's a stacked deck.

The international tv money being more similarly divided to the domestic is what would make you quit football?

The system is already fucked though when you looked at the gap between the Prem and the Championship's finances but teams still get promoted and compete. The whole thing needs changed but it's probably only going to get worse, with this shit here probably happening.

The international tv money being more similarly divided to the domestic is what would make you quit football?

PL. It's about as bad as I'll tolerate atm. Ashley's crap almost turned me from NUFC. I dunno really but it'd definitely have me considering whether I fork out the money for home games (which cost me the same as away ones) and I'd probably fuck Sky off.