Premier League 'top six' want 35% of International TV money to be 'merit based'

Dave

If its voted down by the other 14 clubs I wouldn't put it past the top six to breakaway and form a super league of 18 clubs with the following clubs likely to be invited to join:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, spurs, Man U, man city,

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ath Madrid,

Juve, Inter Milan, Roma, AC Milan,

PSG, Marseille, Lyon,

Byern M, Borrussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig,

Ajax, PSV.

I would imagine the TV money would drop the 14 like a hot brick and divert it all to the "super league" where there would be no relegation.

Why would any club outside the top 6 even vote for it? Makes no sense so surely it's extremely unlikely it will happen

Barça and Madrid managed to play off the rest of the La Liga clubs against each other for years until they finally agreed and forced through our current collective TV deal.

Why would any club outside the top 6 even vote for it? Makes no sense so surely it's extremely unlikely it will happen

Barça and Madrid managed to play off the rest of the La Liga clubs against each other for years until they finally agreed and forced through our current collective TV deal.

:lol: How did they actually manage it though?

so they don't have enough money? :lol:

if anything it should be f***ing reverse merit-based with the dummies at the bottom getting more in order to be able to drag themselves out of the dirt

American sports 4tw.

:lol: How did they actually manage it though?

It was Littlefinger business of the highest caliber. While most clubs bar the big 2 agreed on the principle of a collective deal, they disagreed on the details (i.e. clubs like Sevilla, Valencia or Atlético wanted the new system to be more merit-based than the smaller clubs, who wanted it to be more egalitarian), and Barçadrid feasted on that division.

I suppose there are some teams in the middle of the pack that reckon they'll invest early and keep riding the wave of higher TV money than their rivals. Ignoring the fact that the rich clubs above them have already got it locked down.

In reality it's just the middle clubs fighting to get a relatively similar amount of money to what they do now, with the rich clubs getting more money and the newly promoted clubs getting less. It just can't be fair in the current climate of football. Merit based rewards can only work if you can't buy success.

if anything it should be f***ing reverse merit-based with the dummies at the bottom getting more in order to be able to drag themselves out of the dirt

American sports 4tw.

Weird how in such a capitalist country, sports operate on almost a communist model :lol:

The more money that goes in to the PL the bigger the crash it will be. This has hallmarks of a crash building up. It's not linear growth, it's exponential and it's not on a high enough fixed set of income. If this country suffers a recession, and it's pretty close given the poor growth and Brexit, it could cause a large chunk of people to stop going or buying it on TV. How can these mega money deals keep expanding if some of its core funding shrinks? It's not as if the tv money is stockpiling at clubs, it's thrown away on even bigger fees and wages. Even the mega rich super owners will fuck off if suddenly the Premier Leagues payouts suddenly can't be delivered. Spending 300m is mitigated if your bring in most of it back through success to a degree.

The football in the Premiership is nowhere near as intelligent and entertaining as the money in it suggests. Hence why most of the bottom club clashes nobody will give a shit about on global stage.

Chelsea, City and Spurs have some fucking nerve. :lol: The first two are lucky a billionaire put them there and Spurs have only recently become one of the established top 6. I'm finding it hard to disagree with the reasoning for it though, I mean certainly 5 of those teams are the reason why the figures are so high. West Brom vs Palace isn't pulling in that money, but the whole league plays it's part and the other sides need the ability to compete and break the top 6 so fuck this idea.

West Brom and Palace still play their part in the top sides pulling in so much though, like Yorkie was getting onto, without the system they don't get that TV deal. So although West Brom and Palace don't get on the tele as much they're still integral.

Giving teams even more money for league places isn't a bad idea in theory (it's still stacked as it is) but it's clearly unfair when there's already a massive divide.

If the 'top 6' and West Ham (:lol:), Everton and Leicester (:lol:) want this then maybe it should be just amongst themselves, winner takes all. The rest of the league can split the cash up equally but whoever finishes highest amongst that lot becomes the supa king of the leeeeg and the rest get fuck all.

Scudamore is a tool, why even propose something like this.

His job is to make PL clubs more money,no more no less.

I get that, but his job is to make the league more money which is then distributed to all of the 20 clubs. Strengthening the elite and weakening the lesser teams creates an inferior product and would result in less money than with today's share of TV money.

It's strange. Do people prefer 1 team going on massive streaks (Real scoring every game for years etc) or the 'storylines' of relative minnows taking down the 'big clubs'. I think I prefer the latter, and therefore prefer having a more competitive league.

The American sports model is without a doubt the way to do it. Salary Caps and getting higher picks for lower finishing teams means the competition is always open. We can't obviously do drafts, bt we absolutely could do salary caps

The way things are going now in football - Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern, the PL "6" being discussed in here...will continue to make greater share of money than the so called lesser terms and any notion of parity or competition will continue to decrease, the bigger clubs will continue to get better and the smaller clubs will lose more share in their ability to compete IMO.

If its voted down by the other 14 clubs I wouldn't put it past the top six to breakaway and form a super league of 18 clubs with the following clubs likely to be invited to join:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, spurs, Man U, man city,

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ath Madrid,

Juve, Inter Milan, Roma, AC Milan,

PSG, Marseille, Lyon,

Byern M, Borrussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig,

Ajax, PSV.

I would imagine the TV money would drop the 14 like a hot brick and divert it all to the "super league" where there would be no relegation.

Not sure why the 'ammers would be excluded.

American sports 4tw.

Weird how in such a capitalist country, sports operate on almost a communist model :lol:

Eh? It's resllly difficult not to turn a profit in American sports. It's rigged in favour of owners.  As do salary caps - benefits owners.