Newcastle United 1 - 1 Liverpool - 01/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Greg

Guest chopey

I thought Liverpool were very average today, Sturridge is finished, Winny is just meh, Coutinho is totally class but why does he play just in front of the back four

Is it really that? Or is it because he is a Championship standard player, that isn't particularly good at any one thing? Like a fair few of our players, TBF.

He gets beat by long shots a lot and tends to be slow to get down. I thought he was decent today overall and it is being overly harsh blaming him for the goal. But I do think a prem quality keeper saves it. For all that it was a sweet strike. It isn't right in the corner and it is right near him

That's a bit of it, he's made errors before but none that i recall this season, i suppose he could have done better with the Stoke goal but he's been fine so far imo.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure other people will say the same, but I watch Liverpool a canny bit and I honestly think that's the best that I've seen a team limit their chances and nullify them. This season at least. In the games that they've drawn they've still had big chances and missed them or come up against backs to the wall, last ditch defending. I don't feel like we did that at all. Yes, we didn't have much going for us going forward, but I thought the way that the game was managed and the way that Rafa had us playing aside from that was pretty much spot on. 

Is it really that? Or is it because he is a Championship standard player, that isn't particularly good at any one thing? Like a fair few of our players, TBF.

He gets beat by long shots a lot and tends to be slow to get down. I thought he was decent today overall and it is being overly harsh blaming him for the goal. But I do think a prem quality keeper saves it. For all that it was a sweet strike. It isn't right in the corner and it is right near him

That's a bit of it, he's made errors before but none that i recall this season, i suppose he could have done better with the Stoke goal but he's been fine so far imo.

Clark bailed him out massively against West Ham when he spilled a Cresswell shot

Is it just me or was elliot playing in slow motion  for coutinho's shot? Thought he could have do e better. He rescued his neck through a few good saves later on.

I'm a bit confused by the continued Elliot criticisms. He has obvious weaknesses, kicked distribution, but he's in good form and making key saves each game that go largely unremarked on by the majority in this board.

His defence of Pardew.

I find Pardew completely odious and hold him in similar contempt to his compatriots in cuntdom Souness and Kinnear. But to play devil's advocate, could Elliot have just been doing something we say modern footballers don't do enough and have been being professional by supporting a current manager when asked his views by an 'outsider'.

Is it just me or was elliot playing in slow motion  for coutinho's shot? Thought he could have do e better. He rescued his neck through a few good saves later on.

I'm a bit confused by the continued Elliot criticisms. He has obvious weaknesses, kicked distribution, but he's in good form and making key saves each game that go largely unremarked on by the majority in this board.

His defence of Pardew.

I find Pardew completely odious and hold him in similar contempt to his compatriots in cuntdom Souness and Kinnear. But to play devil's advocate, could Elliot have just been doing something we say modern footballers don't do enough and have been being professional by supporting a current manager when asked his views by an 'outsider'.

No, because when he was told we'd never come from behind to win under Pardew, his answer yes we have, and when told it was true he said and i quote 'we did when we were Charlton'. He also backed up the lies of a man who's done more to make me hate football than any other. But that's been done to death so i'll leave that.

Saying that mind, he's been decent and we haven't lost points because of him, in fact we've probably gained some, which is what your GK should be doing.

Clark bailed him out massively against West Ham when he spilled a Cresswell shot

Oh yes that one, well to be fair he bailed out Clark massively today.

Mane didnt even look like he was playing. Props to Yedlin for that. Not easy to do these days keeping him quiet. Plus showing Moreno the ground was nice on that shoulder to shoulder.

I knwo that Lovren didnt intend to hand the ball at the end but on those types of play I have a hard time understanding how its not a pen...clear DOGSO. When you are talking clear goals there is really no benefit to give..especially in the 6 yard box. Unfortunately for us it didnt get called and that call gets made a lot. If his hand is at his side its one thing but when you go to ground and your arms extend out, well that should be the price you pay for risking going to ground in the 6 yard box.

Guest Howaythetoon

Clark could have easily gave a penalty away btw... best thing I can say about us today is at no point did I feel we were going to fuck up, we woz composed and quite comfortable in conclusion.

For me the most exciting aspect of the game was seeing Shelvey and Merino playing together. There is so much potential in that partnership. Merino is good at quietly breaking up play but can also pick a pass. This means teams can't just sit on Shelvey and stifle our midfield creativity, they have to close Merino down too. This allows Shelvey more time to do what he does best and pick out the killer ball, his assist for the goal was a great example of this.

For the first half hour, we played some good football, and those two were at the heart of it. Then we seemed to get more and more tired.

Atsu lacked confidence from the get go. He's had a good start to the season, but today he didn't look up for it.

It's a good job we scored when we did, because their goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. Mind you, any defence that allows Joselu to score with a run from near the half way line has got problems.

Clark looked pressured a few times today against better class opposition when he usually looks so composed and unflustered, might see Lejeune next time.

Merino struggled a bit, first half especially, many badly placed balls and possesion lost. Hate seeing our keeper launch it long, more possesion lost as often as not.

That said, Liverpool gave us more to think about than Spurs imo and we coped well for the most part. All down to Rafa really, which makes me so conflicted about that Brighton performance, we were just too defensive against them.

Deserved the point, if Gayle had been on 10m earlier who knows. Joselu's face when he lost control of the ball, :D - then calmly claiming the goal when it went in anyway.