Southampton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 15/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Dave

Tell you what, Long waits for Lejuenne, toe pokes the ball out and gleefully goes over. It’s a very clever piece of play. I’d almost call it cheating; he knows exactly what he’s looking to happen.

It is cheating. Long won the pen rather than Lejeune conceding it imo. Players like Shane Long and Andy Johnson have made careers by doing it

Cheating [emoji38]

:lol: clear cut pen, he invited a clumsy challenge from lejeune and got it.

My point is, he only intention was to kick the ball away from where he was so that when Lejeune arrived the ball was miles away. He gained no footballing advantage from kicking the ball, infact it was probably out for a goal kick before the challenge came in.

Obviously its a pen and Lejuene needs to be smarter but certain players cheat (are 'clever') to win them

Guest neesy111

Yet another Newcastle match where the usual pundits showed their awesome powers of prediction btw. :clap:

I look forward to them predicting a palace win next week....

Murphy has been gash for us so far. Feeble is a word I’d use. Which is surprising because the lower leagues are supposed to be tougher.

He’ll never oust Richie or Atsu.

Sentiment overruled sense with this one. This ones definitely on Rafa.

Guest firetotheworks

Murphy has been gash for us so far. Feeble is a word I’d use. Which is surprising because the lower leagues are supposed to be tougher.

He’ll never oust Richie or Atsu.

Sentiment overruled sense with this one. This ones definitely on Rafa.

[emoji38] You narf talk some rubbish.

Tell you what, Long waits for Lejuenne, toe pokes the ball out and gleefully goes over. It’s a very clever piece of play. I’d almost call it cheating; he knows exactly what he’s looking to happen.

It is cheating. Long won the pen rather than Lejeune conceding it imo. Players like Shane Long and Andy Johnson have made careers by doing it

Cheating [emoji38]

:lol: clear cut pen, he invited a clumsy challenge from lejeune and got it.

My point is, he only intention was to kick the ball away from where he was so that when Lejeune arrived the ball was miles away. He gained no footballing advantage from kicking the ball, infact it was probably out for a goal kick before the challenge came in.

Obviously its a pen and Lejuene needs to be smarter but certain players cheat (are 'clever') to win them

That’s my view as well. I’ve done it loads of time in the past and where they weren’t given I’d go mad but I’d also feel deep down that it wasn’t a “genuine” penalty. The look on Long’s face says it all.

FFS man, it's early days with Murphy. He's a kid and there's absolutely no way anyone can say with any confidence whether he'll succeed or not. Don't know why it's such a race on here to pass judgement on players.

Every fucking time :lol: :thup:

It's not like we've been shown over and over and over again that players can make bad starts at clubs and then go on to do very well.

Kind of similar to the Liverpool game at times. They were getting into some good positions, yet I never really felt like we were going to concede. Two individual errors have cost us.

We’re still pretty poor going forward. But then that is kind of to be expected when we have so many mediocre attacking players.

Feels like two points dropped, TBH. Feel pretty positive about the club for a change.

The kid has an eye for goal and has skills but in the few instances I’ve seen him this season, he’s repeatedly been muscled off the ball. Made poor choices in keeping the ball when a pass would have retained possession.

I’m not having a go for the sake of it.. but 12m.. what else could Rafa have done with that?

Kind of similar to the Liverpool game at times. They were getting into some good positions, yet I never really felt like we were going to concede.

Opposite for me, even though they weren't exactly peppering Elliot's goal it just felt like we were likely to concede goals today. Posted so at half time.

We just weren't all that convincing in defence IMO.

Kind of similar to the Liverpool game at times. They were getting into some good positions, yet I never really felt like we were going to concede. Two individual errors have cost us.

We’re still pretty poor going forward. But then that is kind of to be expected when we have so many mediocre attacking players.

Feels like two points dropped, TBH. Feel pretty positive about the club for a change.

I thought this was the best we've looked going forward tbh, especially away from home. Thought there was a 3rd goal in us and we almost had it; Lejeune from the corner and Murphy's shot that was blocked. It still could be far better though, some of the passes in transition were really poor.

That's different to saying he'll never force his way into the team. Physicality and decision making can be worked on, particularly at his age.

Agree completely that if we'd known we were to spend a pittance then I wouldn't have wanted a large chunk spent on Murphy but that's not his fault and we have to get on with it.

Edit - @ odin

I thought this was the best we've looked going forward tbh, especially away from home. Thought there was a 3rd goal in us and we almost had it; Lejeune from the corner and Murphy's shot that was blocked. It still could be far better though, some of the passes in transition were really poor.

Agreed, aside from Joselu offering absolutely fuck all, the whole 'we don't look like scoring' thing wasn't a problem today. Probably due to the quality of opposition tbh. It was interesting to hear Rafa say after the game when asked about things he'd like to improve on, scoring more goals was mentioned alongside conceding fewer. Funny that, for such a supposedly defensive manager. Obviously he's looking to keep things tight as a base to work on but it's not like we set out to get a 0-0 every match.

The post match comments on the Southampton forum are very much like ours in recent years. You can see how the supporters have noticed a gradual decline in the team, the frustration etc. It’s not as bad as they believe they will be in a relegation battle, but similar to when we were a season or two away from being relegated.

Just had a good look at the penalty, Long is so concentrated on where Lejeune is that he completely miss kicked the ball (comes off the edge of his big toe - he nearly misses it) and he’s falling into the challenge before it comes. It’s a penalty but it’s one where I’d have no problem with the Ref wagging his finger and point for a goal kick. Lejeune will learn from that.

Just got back in from the match. I'd say it was a decent point but without looking back at any decision I am frustrated to only get a point.

Awful challenge for the pen - he was going nowhere, Elliot seemed to move slower than Steve Harper for their first. Other than that we were solid and deserved at least a point.

Ritchie, Hayden, Perez, Shelvey and Atsu worked their socks off. Fantastic midfield performance and moved forwards/backwards as required. Shows how far we've come that I am happy with. A point but frustrated it's not all three away to Southampton.

Regarding our attacking. We did look more of a threat. But I still think we lack pace, lump a lot of balls up to an isolated frontman and we sit quite deep.

These aren’t really criticisms, per se. As Rafa is limited with his options and we lack quality. But I just never feel like we’re going to regularly create chances and we don’t have a striker in the squad that will make something out of nothing.