Southampton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 15/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Dave

Lejune had a solid game other than that, he will learn from this. This is a good point although we really should have won this

Really unimpressed by Murphy's lack of urgency there at the end

:thup:

I think Murphy looks weak as piss. Gonna take a while before he can play

Question marks now on who is his first choice CB pairing, before the pen I don't think Clark would get off the bench much for the remainder of the season however Rafa doesn't suffer fools, we've seen that, might be back to Clark and Lascelles next week now.

Well Mbemba is our best CB so paring somebody else with him for a start would improve us.

FT. Decent enough result, but two points thrown away given the way the game played out. We gifted them their goals. We hit their woodwork and had one cleared off the line. Yedlin should have been off though.

I think it was Bimpy who said Long was our bogey player before the game, and he got an absolutely nothing penna out of us. I think the last goal he got against us was the one where he walked it past Steven Taylor, that plank's last contribution before Rafa dropped him, but he managed it today against a seemingly much better player. Maybe there is a voodoo working some black magic there.

Gayle came on with a knackered Shelvey at #10, a total hiding to nothing, so don't judge him on this.

I would have liked to see more energy from Murphy, so maybe a kick up the arse is needed there. He looked lazy for a young lad who'd just been brought on.

All in all, two points lost, but suck in up and move on.

Our deficiencies are plain and until Rafa gets a chance to address them then this sort of result/performance will be the norm.

Our strikers are all 'adequate' squad players and no more in this division, our keeper situation is less than ideal and we lack real quality in parts of the pitch that are key.

Once we have funds from a new owner (please god/other fictitious deities...) then this utter quality manager we have will have us as a real force to be reckoned with in a short space of time imo.

Until then we ride this out.

Engineered our own downfall. Disappointing considering we were ahead twice. Elliott should save and Lejeune was daft. Really annoying because Lejeune was solid aside from his daft lapse. I thought we were the better team overall and our quality on the ball was more noteworthy than their quantity.

Can't grumble too much considering our record down there and that we'd have probably have all taken a draw beforehand, the perspective here is that we've come away with a point and are a bit disappointed, that's probably a good sign that we're doing alright.

I wouldn't blame Elliot for the first, no way should he have got a shot away from that situation.

Guest neesy111

Engineered our own downfall. Disappointing considering we were ahead twice. Elliott should save and Lejeune was daft. Really annoying because Lejeune was solid aside from his daft lapse. I thought we were the better team overall and our quality on the ball was more noteworthy than their quantity.

Can't grumble too much considering our record down there and that we'd have probably have all taken a draw beforehand, the perspective here is that we've come away with a point and are a bit disappointed, that's probably a good sign that we're doing alright.

I wouldn't blame Elliot for the first, no way should he have got a shot away from that situation.

It's terrible defending, but Elliott is at fault for not saving the shot.

That was shit defending from Manquillo, Elliott was unsighted.

He'd been lead away from a far more dangerous position back out towards the edge of the box, hit a fairly tame shot and it went in. Hard to blame the defence imo.

Guest firetotheworks

We were also treated very leniently by the ref, I thought.

Yeah, he seemed to favour us a bit, which was a nice change, Yedlin really should have gone.

He was lenient with cards but not with giving free kicks.

We got free kicks all the time.

Guest firetotheworks

He'd been ushered to the edge of the box and put in a weak shot. Can't really blame Manquillo there, he's done most of what he needs to do and attempted the block. 100% Elliott's fault imo, he went down in chapters.

He deserves to give away a pen for the stupidity of the tackle. Long was clever, no one would argue if one of our guys did the same.

He looked like he knew he'd fucked up tbf. Both goals we conceded were soft, but then so were theirs. Lack of quality was pretty evident on the pitch for both sides.

Can't help feeling very disappointed after that. Southampton couldn't defend for shit and looked like they were gonna concede every time we attacked them yet we spent so much of the game behind the ball sitting back. The manner of the equaliser as well was difficult to swallow. So avoidable.