Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I didn't really attack him, just posted my opinion in a place where I think we're all (certainly most of us) on the same page.. that action must be taken. Haven't said owt to him or the many others like him on twitter or gone out of my way to find them tbf.  A load of them, this guy included, imply they have a "I want change but I am loyal (too good for this), therefore going to do nothing! pls people who will protest get the fat man out" attitude and it does my head in

If Rafa does leave then a boycott would make more sense but I think the time for that was 5 or 10 years ago, before TV revenue rendered matchday ticket revenue less important to owners. I'm not sure how much impact it would have now. I agree with others that somehow directly affecting Sports Direct would be the only way. He's using the club for free advertising and doesn't care about long-term damage to the club but if the relationship somehow became damaging to his main business interests, he might consider it more trouble than it's worth and lower his asking price. As it stands I don't believe he's actively trying to sell. We know the club is officially "for sale" if he gets a silly offer but most things are for sale in that sense. With each passing window of under-investment (or no investment), his asking price represents a bigger rip-off to potential buyers because of the growing investment required in the team. If he was really pushing for a sale, he'd price the club appropriately.

Agree with this. NUFC could have an attendance of zero for the entire season and it would still wouldn't be a losing enterprise for Ashley, the way everything centers around broadcast rights these days.

Not totally true. Sky Sports want it to look like full stadiums. It's something mentioned many many times by Sky. They don't want empty stadiums and the numbers of matches shown would be down because of it.

If Rafa does leave then a boycott would make more sense but I think the time for that was 5 or 10 years ago, before TV revenue rendered matchday ticket revenue less important to owners. I'm not sure how much impact it would have now. I agree with others that somehow directly affecting Sports Direct would be the only way. He's using the club for free advertising and doesn't care about long-term damage to the club but if the relationship somehow became damaging to his main business interests, he might consider it more trouble than it's worth and lower his asking price. As it stands I don't believe he's actively trying to sell. We know the club is officially "for sale" if he gets a silly offer but most things are for sale in that sense. With each passing window of under-investment (or no investment), his asking price represents a bigger rip-off to potential buyers because of the growing investment required in the team. If he was really pushing for a sale, he'd price the club appropriately.

Agree with this. NUFC could have an attendance of zero for the entire season and it would still wouldn't be a losing enterprise for Ashley, the way everything centers around broadcast rights these days.

Not totally true. Sky Sports want it to look like full stadiums. It's something mentioned many many times by Sky. They don't want empty stadiums and the numbers of matches shown would be down because of it.

I guess, but even if that costs the club 10m pounds a year that's still peanuts compared to the sort of money he would need to pay for transfers to build a competitive team that the fans would be pleased with.

I guess, but even if that costs the club 10m pounds a year that's still peanuts compared to the sort of money he would need to pay for transfers to build a competitive team that the fans would be pleased with.

I don't think anyone is suggesting not turning up is a case of preventing or allowing transfers. It's a show of support by the fans for Rafa and against Ashley's model. It may be fine to have no fans in the PL but running with Ashley's model following a relegation doesn't work and he'll know that.

I didn't really attack him, just posted my opinion in a place where I think we're all (certainly most of us) on the same page.. that action must be taken. Haven't said owt to him or the many others like him on twitter or gone out of my way to find them tbf.  A load of them, this guy included, imply they have a "I want change but I am loyal (too good for this), therefore going to do nothing! pls people who will protest get the fat man out" attitude and it does my head in

If this place wants to have a say in this then you can't go round calling those who oppose names, or the argument is lost already. Just as you linked twitter to here this place is visible to all, you've not insulted him to his face, it's worse it's behind his back.

It's cheap, it would be better if you argued your point with him rather than calling him a cunt for having a difference of opinion. It's not just you, this place struggles to accept those who's opinions differ and go against the majority.

I'm saying this as I think theres a real chance of something happening with the campaign, Rafa is a great figurehead and it's a brilliant idea the fans use him against Ashley and most want him to stay. However just like brexit, you call out people, call them stupid, call them cunts, it just cements their position. He may not see it, but someone else might and they may not support the movement if they are reading that they are a cunt for stsying, when all they see is themselves being loyal to the club.

I’m not sure if I support this Twitter movement, it’s a bit cringe.  Definitely a fan of doing something but would prefer it to be in the manner of Pardew/Ashleyout.

Renewed my season ticket, but the first DD payment doesn't come out til the 1st August. Where would I stand legally if I cancelled the DD and told the ticket office I want to cancel my ST?

this is exactly the type of thing this new group should be pushing imo....people will think they can't cancel their DD but they need telling they can the moment the window slams shut and we've no players

Renewed my season ticket, but the first DD payment doesn't come out til the 1st August. Where would I stand legally if I cancelled the DD and told the ticket office I want to cancel my ST?

Since you pay in advance it’s not a debt that you owe, more along the lines of a subscription. As this is the case there is nothing that the can do to chase up payment, even a letter reminding you to pay could be seen as harassment. However if they disn’t cancel your access and you still went to games that you hadn’t paid for, or still exploited your season ticket (loyalty points, advanced ticket sales) then you are technically using something which you haven’t paid for and therefor things may not be on your side.

If you don’t inform them of cancelling your DD and they got to make payments that are rejected then that might go against your credit report though, so in that case it would important to tell them so they can stop the DD, not that they wouldn’t try in anyway.

Guest The Little Waster

Theres a difference between venting online ( see my 50 000 muppets comments ) and trying to persuade someone face to face . Its important to be able to point out the cognitive dissonance of how they are supporting Ashley and not Rafa / the team / club by still attending matches ... It has to be made a shameful thing to do but it also needs couching in terms of past historical events ( ie the positivity of the SJH takeover and the incredible football that followed ) its not an easy balance to strike but the good cop bad cop approach seems the most likely to work over time

this is exactly the type of thing this new group should be pushing imo....people will think they can't cancel their DD but they need telling they can the moment the window slams shut and we've no players

Right, that's me in.

Guest The Little Waster

Dunno about legally but morally youd be ten nil up : )

Guest covmag

ive tried staying away in the past but i missed the match so much, i will be going again this season and yes i'm frustrated as much as the rest , call me a cunt but i love NUFC and theres many teams worse off than us .

ashley can fix this a little, he doesn't see that it won't take much to keep his pockets filled but the pig ignorance not to give Rfa a quality forward and defender is  suicide for him .

i'm not happy but i love going to the match more to let the fat bastard ruin it.  O0

ive tried staying away in the past but i missed the match so much, i will be going again this season and yes i'm frustrated as much as the rest , call me a cunt but i love NUFC and theres many teams worse off than us .

ashley can fix this a little, he doesn't see that it won't take much to keep his pockets filled but the pig ignorance not to give Rfa a quality forward and defender is  suicide for him .

i'm not happy but i love going to the match more to let the fat bastard ruin it.  O0

I think we need to change the chant, from 'fat cockney bastard' to 'fat greedy bastard'. Reckon that will give us more credibility and stop those southern journos from being able to spout their usual shite.

Chanting about the fat cunt does nothing anyway, he doesn't care about peoples personal perception of him. He only cares about Sports Direct and the free advertising he gets from the club, if some of that free advertising involved chants directly aimed at SD, negatively (obviously) it affects what he cares about most. Ashley is perfectly happy to play the pantomime villain so long as SD receives the free advertising that his ownership of the club allows, lower the value of that free advertising and you lower the value of the club to him, making a sale more possible. I'm convinced going after SD directly is the only way.

Guest chopey

I'm sure Sky made a statement after the last TV deal that they fully expect the money they give to the clubs to be spent on bringing the best players from world in order to increase the popularity and scope of the league Ashley's current stance goes against this policy (clutching at straws in know)

The second Charnley did his "huge financial risk to get out of the championship" interview, it was clear which way this window would go.

They have a ready made excuse before every transfer window.

Championship January: We believe Rafa has enough to get us up

Promotion summer: No premiership TV money

Last January: Potential Takeover

Right, that's me in.

Fair play to you. If hundreds more could do the same, that would be amazing.

#cancelnufcseasonticket

Guest The Little Waster

Youre obviously not that frustrated if you continue to attend and help fund the decline of NUFC . Yes there are many teams worse off ( Hartlepool , Gateshead and Sunderland come to mind ) do you really want to measure our status by comparison to such small clubs ? How low are your horizons ? Youre not happy but youre happy enough to continue to fund your own unhappiness ...

It would seem that for you the pleasure is simply funding Ashley in order to watch any old shite ... did you have the same attitude in the Seymour / McKeag era ... did you not get behind the SJH takeover at the time ? Did you not notice the difference under the SJH regime ?

Or are you just another fucking muppet ?

I think we need to change the chant, from 'fat cockney bastard' to 'fat greedy bastard'. Reckon that will give us more credibility and stop those southern journos from being able to spout their usual shite.

Chanting about the fat cunt does nothing anyway, he doesn't care about peoples personal perception of him. He only cares about Sports Direct and the free advertising he gets from the club, if some of that free advertising involved chants directly aimed at SD, negatively (obviously) it affects what he cares about most. Ashley is perfectly happy to play the pantomime villain so long as SD receives the free advertising that his ownership of the club allows, lower the value of that free advertising and you lower the value of the club to him, making a sale more possible. I'm convinced going after SD directly is the only way.

I agree with this, ruining the exposure Sports Direct get is the best and probably only chance we have.

The only thing that’s changed I guess is that nobody believes their lies any more, even the most oblivious of folk have been fooled and conned many times, it’s just tiresome at this point.

What’s been the spend this summer, realistically? Nobody has left yet, apart from Colback.

4m on Dubravka, the loan deal might have cost 2m, then Ki’s agents etc might have pocketed 500k-1m for that deal.

You can offset Ki by Colbacks wages being paid for. So let’s call it 6 million. That’s all we’ve spent.

How the fuck can the club claim that Rafa can have every penny the club generates. We got paid over 110m in tv money, then probably made a few million in corporate and match day revenue.

Maybe the delay in Mitro leaving is down to Rafa. If he’s not given funds, we’ll have Mitro back in the squad maybe? That would be one positive, Rafa wouldn’t play him though..

It’s a total shit show.