Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You’re dead right about John Hall also as soon as he got a chance to make a big profit he was away like a shot not giving a f*** who he was selling the club too.

i find this a strange criticism myself unless there's more detail i'm unaware of, at the time he bought the club ashley was a very successful but reclusive billionaire with the money to buy and run a football club

don't know how anyone could predict how things have gone personally

Wasn't it also the case that Hall felt he'd took the club as far as he could, and that it would take someone a lot richer to take it to the next level? I don't think Shepherd's mis-management helped, it got to the stage we were getting in a bad way IIRC, by the end I think they just wanted to cut and run and let someone else deal with it.

possibly yeah, i'm just intrigued by the idea that hall should have identified ashley as a complete c*** at that point in time when no one even knew who he was...

i mean if one of the richest men in the country came in to buy your club and one of his stated aims was to use it to help market his business it's a reasonable assumption he would do more or less the absolute opposite of what ashley has done

Hall didn't give a flying f*** about the good of the club. He was entrusted with it for buttons then refused to put a penny of his own money into it (so much so that his wife did to keep Keegan) and allowed it to be used as a cash cow, paying his family millions in dividends, even when we were in the red. I don't believe that he would've considered the good of the club for a second, just the good of his wallet.

Wrong on so many levels. SJH never wanted to own NUFC, but wanted to help save it from the likes of McKeag and did offer it back to fans. He put his own money in buying shares, millions. Anyway it wasn’t his money the club needed, it was his vision, his ambition, his business acumen. He never hid from the fact that he was a businessman and saw NUFC as something he could profit from, hence why he floated the club. But he only took out what the club was worth after he had transformed it because it wasnt even worth the money he paid towards the shares back then. And he cared about the club. It wasn’t a cash cow to him, it was a cash cow to his son and the Shepherds and his mistake was handing his son such a big stake. He sold to MA because he was in no position to run the club, he was basically a silent partner and why shouldn’t he sell his shares? The alternative was to become another McKeag and keep it in the family for generations. FS couldn't afford to buy him out. I’d have sold if I wasn’t in any way able to run the club. SJH never took a penny out, the money he made from the club came from MA’s bank account not the club’s. His son and the Shepherds on the other hand... SJH along with KK were the only f***ers who believed in NUFC and did their damn best to turn us into the biggest club in the world. When we were going for the title with Man Utd they only turned over more than us because of the CL and extra seats, we were turning over more than any other club and not even the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid could beat us in the transfer market or for wages. Floating was the wrong choice in retrospect, but it was a logical next step for a top PL brand at that time. I won’t hold Ashley against SJH, again we all thought we had landed on our feet when this billionaire sports retailer rocked up. I guarantee SJH has lots of regret towards the end of his time as chairman/owner/shareholder of NUFC. I don’t know how anyone can slag the man or hold him as some kind of c***. Remove SJH from our history and we wouldn’t have had the 20 years prior to Ashley or even exist because there was no f***er else who had the money and balls to take on mother McKeags and certainly not the savvy vision SJH had for the club.

Hear hear.

I've read some ridiculous rewriting of history with regards SJH over the years, mainly due to the fact he was a Tory.

Sad to say that if Rafa goes it will make very little difference. Yes, people will be gutted, seething at Ashley but they will still go to games and follow the team. 

It would be a dream come true that if Rafa went then nobody, and I mean nobody,  turned up for the next game.  Perhaps the players could refuse to play............................Oh dear, why does it always collapse around our ears

I know it’s early days, but I think this could be the start of something.

it's got a shitload of potential purely because of how simple it is

can they reach people not on social media though?

Douglas has said he wants to push it in the Chronicle.

Guest reefatoon

Liking how this is taking shape. Nice and simple too. Those replies were great on the hull tickets tweet.

I know it’s early days, but I think this could be the start of something.

it's got a shitload of potential purely because of how simple it is

can they reach people not on social media though?

Douglas has said he wants to push it in the Chronicle.

Can Ashley read?

I can’t get to many games but if Rafa goes I just don’t get how anyone could muster any enthusiasm to actually go every week. It’s essentially pointless. If you can still be up for it fair enough but even with Rafa there I can’t be arsed with this season with a squad with no investment

Fucking love this! Even if it doesn’t make much difference it’s so much better than nothing, like total apathy. Hope it continues to grow. This could at least be a start to something. We have nothing to lose as it is now.

Just shy of 7400 followers for #IfRafaGoesWeGo now. Canny impressive for a few days work. :thup:

Sadly Ashley has the skin of a Rhino - he'll not give a shit

People keep saying this BUT we've seen that he does react when things get taken up a notch.

Also a lot of fans (obviously has to be a significant amount) staying away will definitely have an impact, the difficulty is convincing people that staying away is in the best interest of the club long term.

Finally whether it has an ultimate impact on Ashley is somewhat immaterial imo, this is about self respect. This isn't the club we love, somewhat aptly described it as a zombie club.

The analogy I like to give people is that you wouldn't pay someone to punch your kids so why pay Ashley to damage your club?

Just shy of 7400 followers for #IfRafaGoesWeGo now. Canny impressive for a few days work. :thup:

He'd incredibly thin skinned like

Wonder how Rafa feels about this, I mean he knows he is loved and respected, but surely this must make it extra special to him even if it’s “early days”. The contrast now compared his time at Chelsea :lol: Love him to bits! Give him decent backing and honesty and he’d stay with us for soo long and make us great. Imagine having him for the long term without having to worry about other clubs. Under another owner....

Guest firetotheworks

He's the most thin-skinned cunt around, man. :lol: This is the man who had the club put out a statement because Dispatches made a slight error in their documentary about the relationship between NUFC and SD. The same man who threw money at Steve McClaren following the Spurs walkout. You just have to know where to prod him.

Definitely not about songs or flags or banners.. probably not even a 'protest' around the ground.  If people stop feeding his pockets (or aim at sports direct), he'll feel it though