Burnley 1-0 Newcastle United - 30/10/17 - post match whinging from p27

BlueStar

I despair at our striker situation. We've had to endure years of a badly fading Cisse, then a mediocre Mitrovic, a false dawn Gayle and now Joselu. Some proper scouting and/or investment needed. What I wouldn't give for a match winner in the Ba mould now.

Good strikers are expensive. That's the only problem.

Well yes, but we've spent a fair whack relatively on players we didn't really need, like Murphy and Lejeune to an extent. Was it a matter of not getting one "over the line" or did Rafa not prioritise the position? As someone else said, it's absolutely incredible what Rafa is getting out of such a poor, unbalanced squad.

Would anyone actually be disappointed with a 0-0 draw? I wouldn't that's for sure, would be a good point.

Disappointed in that I think we can win it. But a clean sheet, a point away from home and continuing the run wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Diame's been okay overall, at one stage it looked as though he was going to lose it every time and Burnley have closed him down quickly.

Burnley have closed down very quickly, most of our players have struggled to keep possession under that sort of pressure. We've done as well as could be expected with this level of player in our squad.

Don't think Mitrovic would make a blind bit of difference to that half. He's not going to make a goal for himself and his ball control in tight spaces is no better than Joselu. We need a final ball and bit more movement. Yedlin should have cut that last one back to Perez.

Worrying that Josleu’s 2 goals for us have consisted of 2 accidental finishes like :lol:

Other than his first game, he’s been utterly dire in every other performance.

He was very good v West Ham, got into the right positions v Swansea and Stoke, was unlucky to not score in the former and should've had a hattrick in the latter but at least he was getting into positions then. Since then, he's been almost nonexistent.

Some overly critical posts in here, like. [emoji38] Even from normally very good posters. Diame lost the ball twice, aside from that he's been fine. Manquillo has been absolutely fine as well. Our problems are the obvious ones, no number 10, no striker.

Agree with this. We look fine in every aspect other than the 2 planks at the top end of the pitch. Neither of them is anywhere near good enough at this level and offer no goal threat or decent movement which is a shame when you have Shelvey in the team who can pick out anyone with a pass. Looks like he's getting a bit frustrated with the lack of movement in front of him as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Some overly critical posts in here, like. [emoji38] Even from normally very good posters. Diame lost the ball twice, aside from that he's been fine. Manquillo has been absolutely fine as well. Our problems are the obvious ones, no number 10, no striker.

Define fine for manquillo. If you mean stop every attacking opportunity for us, you’re right.

He's a back up right back, our expectations of him should match that imo. He's been defensively fine, unless he makes a hugely wrong decision going forward, any attacking play from him is a bonus.

Surprised that no one is complaining about Yedlin's crosses which have been absolutely f***ing woeful.

On here? Everyone is.

Must of missed. Didn't read until the 1st half whistle went though :lol:

To be fair to Joselu he hasn't had much to get on the end of like.

isn't he first choice striker because he moves into channels, which he doesn't do last 3 games

He's been free in the box at least twice when Yedlin has crossed it straight to the keeper.

Don't think Mitrovic would make a blind bit of difference to that half. He's not going to make a goal for himself and his ball control in tight spaces is no better than Joselu. We need a final ball and bit more movement. Yedlin should have cut that last one back to Perez.

I disagree. Not saying it'd be night and day but Joselu does sod all.

I despair at our striker situation. We've had to endure years of a badly fading Cisse, then a mediocre Mitrovic, a false dawn Gayle and now Joselu. Some proper scouting and/or investment needed. What I wouldn't give for a match winner in the Ba mould now.

Good strikers are expensive. That's the only problem.

Well yes, but we've spent a fair whack relatively on players we didn't really need, like Murphy and Lejeune to an extent. Was it a matter of not getting one "over the line" or did Rafa not prioritise the position? As someone else said, it's absolutely incredible what Rafa is getting out of such a poor, unbalanced squad.

Those two signings were pretty early on IIRC, I don't think Rafa would have spent that money on Murphy in particular if he knew he'd be shit on by Ashley later in the transfer window.

at least he won headers v palace last week unlike joselu

Guest firetotheworks

Just because they haven't been as bad as perez and joselu doesn't mean they've been "fine".

They've been fine because they've been fine. Joselu and Perez are separate issues, it wasn't a comparison.