Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

I was probably more critical than I should had been last night, but I still don't get the defended great stuff.  I'd say defending well is restricting the opposition to very little which we didn't, city still found lots of space etc and easily could had been 3-0 at HT with better finishing.  2nd half performance was good though.

I think that was down to us having weak defenders and midfielders, not the tactics. You could see the shape was good, but then individually players were sometimes not good enough to do their jobs well enough. Yedlin for instance, held his position well enough mostly, but he looked terrified of Sterling all night.

I thought some of the social media posts (Alan on the Chronics FB) were incredibly shortsighted until I read the shit on here.

0-1 with the utter shite we’ve got as a fucking victory, anyone saying anything else should quite frankly fuck off and let Rafa get on with it

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought some of the social media posts (Alan on the Chronics FB) were incredibly shortsighted until I read the s*** on here.

0-1 with the utter s**** we’ve got as a f***ing victory, anyone saying anything else should quite frankly f*** off and let Rafa get on with it

I think people are criticising that first 35 minutes which was the worst I’ve ever seen from us in which we literally did nothing, not one player, all men behind the ball allowing Man City to do whatever they wanted. Again I don’t want to ever see us play that way again, ever.

I guarantee had we went in at 4-0 down which could have easily happened, many of the people on here who have hailed the performances as somewhat decent would have been far more critical of our approach and much more critical of the team selection.

Our game plan didn’t work, we were just lucky Man City didn’t put us out of sight in a first half where they absolutely dominated us and we did fuck all until towards the end. We couldn’t string two passes together, when the ball come our way we just kicked it anywhere away from our goal. We didn’t attempt to engage City or even attempt to compete. It was embrassimg and cowardly and again I hope to never see us play that way again.

Of course only getting beat 1-0 against such a great team and us being shit can be considered acceptable and our tactics likewise, i.e. to remain in the game as long as possible. But no one can seriously tell me they were happy to see us play the way we did during the first 35 minutes. If we played that way against any other side there would be lots of criticism and rightly so, the fact it’s Man City doesn’t make it acceptable.

Any other manager even against City and there would have been hell on.

Now I’m not criticising Rafa nor did I expect us to beat City, but I did not expect us to simply surrender the first 35 minutes in the way we did. Such a way of playing and against such a side will only lead to a heavy defeat. That didn’t happen but if we played that way against them 9 other times, we would have been spanked 9 times.

I will never understand the concept of just allowing the opposition to have the ball at all times regardless of how good they are because it will only lead to the enevitable and hand the opposition an easy win. We were lucky to go in at only 1-0 down let’s not mask over that with the Aaron’s chance or anything else.

Anyway, let’s move onto Brighton where I want to see us attack them and go for a win because I feel we are capable of scoring goals and hurting the opposition.

I agree about Brighton but to be honest we could also have easily came away with something last night through the exact same tactics as what were deployed. We had chances that we too didn't finish. All in all it was a fair result and as good a result as we could have hoped for. Going all out to pressure some teams works and you can knick a goal, I think you might see that vs the other top teams. These are simply on a different level though so I'd happily take a repeat of last night at their place.

People go on about the first 35 minutes like they were having chance after chance, but they weren't we limited them to shots from range for the most part, and thy only had one clear chance before they scored from what I remember, so the first 35 were completely justified, and given the same game again I would be relatively happy with it.

Guest Howaythetoon

People go on about the first 35 minutes like they were having chance after chance, but they weren't we limited them to shots from range for the most part, and thy only had one clear chance before they scored from what I remember, so the first 35 were completely justified, and given the same game again I would be relatively happy with it.

It’s simple. You surrender everything to the opposition and especially to a team like City and you are basically begging them to score and score again and again and they could have. Had they done, the second half would have been even more painful than the first 35 and we would could have been looking at a cricket score. They had an off day and it’s because of that and that alone why we didn’t get a hammering. You will always get a chance during a game or a half chance especially against City because of how they play and we had several so yes we could have nicked a draw, but that’s not the point or not mine anyway. I’m not even upset about losing or the team selection, it is those first 35 minutes where we basically showed our backsides and said do your worst. Again it’s not the way I want to see us set up ever, regardless. It’s done though.

I dont really see the whole goal difference excuse, obviously its acceptable given it was only 1 goal conceded. But when we go to play them in 3 weeks or so, if they thrash us 6 or 7 which could potentially happen then it hasnt really made much difference.

As long as the players have a go I suppose that matters mostly to paying fans,it is true the first half was shit with all the soft arse excuses. However we did look more like a side who were holding off a hiding and countering much better in the second half.

HTT - with all due respect, I'm certain that most if not everyone on here would rather see us have a right go of it man and would rather not have us put every single person behind the ball for 30+ minutes and let them attack us at will. You're a fantastic poster, you've seen far more football than I have and know more about this club than me...

1) However, Pardew and Stevie Mc teams had FAR better talent - you can't compare what prior managers did or didn't do and how they would stack up against what we did last night.

2) Surely you can see past your desire for attacking football to realize that the gameplan was to defend and counter; however, please tell me how Rafa's tactics can influence a player's inability to control a ball, pass the ball, and keep the ball?

3) Better teams had a right go at City and got wrecked.

4) Again, we're a fine margin team who has paper thin confidence, you know that 100% - how does getting 5-0 massacred by City boost our team's morale for Saturday, where that's the real match in front us?

5) Again, surely you realize we've literally never done this under Rafa before and we went out attacked other teams?

Aguero post, Elliott save and the goal so there is 3 great clear chances just for a start

Hit the post, Aguero had a great chance, Jesus had a good chance where he was blocked, Aguero's header where Elliot made a good save, another Elliot save where he came out and it went out for a corner, De Bruyne had two shots from just outside the box where you'd have expected him to do better.

I dont really see the whole goal difference excuse, obviously its acceptable given it was only 1 goal conceded. But when we go to play them in 3 weeks or so, if they thrash us 6 or 7 which could potentially happen then it hasnt really made much difference.

As long as the players have a go I suppose that matters mostly to paying fans,it is true the first half was shit with all the soft arse excuses. However we did look more like a side who were holding off a hiding and countering much better in the second half.

I don't really see how you don't get the goal difference excuse. If we lose 1-0 there as well we'd have already done better than most teams in the division and that's across 2 games and not just 1. I. E. If we lose 1-0 again which is probably unlikely we will be at -2 rather than the -3/4 which some teams have suffered from one game.

Goal difference is worth a point and could potentially be worth 1 or 2 places. So how can that not be identified as a good reason for how we played?

Guest neesy111

HTT - with all due respect, I'm certain that most if not everyone on here would rather see us have a right go of it man and would rather not have us put every single person behind the ball for 30+ minutes and let them attack us at will. You're a fantastic poster, you've seen far more football than I have and know more about this club than me...

1) However, Pardew and Stevie Mc teams had FAR better talent - you can't compare what prior managers did or didn't do and how they would stack up against what we did last night.

2) Surely you can see past your desire for attacking football to realize that the gameplan was to defend and counter; however, please tell me how Rafa's tactics can influence a player's inability to control a ball, pass the ball, and keep the ball?

4) Again, we're a fine margin team who has paper thin confidence, you know that 100% - how does getting 5-0 massacred by City boost our team's morale for Saturday, where that's the real match in front us?

5) Again, surely you realize we've literally never done this under Rafa before and we went out attacked other teams?

No one is expecting us to attack city, but I expect more than 15% possession after 35 mins of a football match.  Our ball retention was absolutely disgusting that 1st half, thankfully we fixed it 2nd half.

No one is expecting us to attack city, but I expect more than 15% possession after 35 mins of a football match.  Our ball retention was absolutely disgusting that 1st half, thankfully we fixed it 2nd half.

Right I get that - so how is that Rafa's issue? Unless I'm just not following your argument right - to me I saw our players making these stupid and simple mistakes due to their lack of concentration, talent, etc. I saw numerous times Joselu, Aarons, Shelvey, Diame, etc get the ball and lose it or poorly placed passes. etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

Thanks for the compliments, but no need.

I’m not upset about us not taking the game to them or having a go, I’m upset about how for 35 minutes or so we basically from the first whistle laid down and against a team like this it will only ever result in a guaranteed defeat and an almost guaranteed heavy defeat.

The fact it didn’t happen doesn’t make it all the more right or acceptable. Again, that first 35 was the worst I’ve ever seen us play, ever, we were not bad in that we were sloppy in possession or we were making huge mistakes we were that bad because we did nothing and nothing whatsoever. I counted maybe 3 passes together, every time the ball come in we just lumped it as far away from our box as possible with zero thought or intent on engaging City or trying to compete.

They are a great side we know, but they are not invincible. Their players are not superman FFS. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s not what I want to see from any NUFC side at any time regardless of the opposition or how crap we are. If we went into every game like that we would go down easily because again it begs the opposition to score and score again and again.

If you don’t have the ball you are not in the game and for 35 minutes it was that way. There was no opposition, just black and white shirts standing, jockeying and doing f*** all on the ball. All Man City who thankfully didn’t take us to the cleaners.

We got lucky, we got away with it and we move on. If I see a Rafa side play like that again though I’ll start questioning the man. I now want to see the reverse against Brighton.

You make valid points RE former managers and of course I shouldn’t bring them into it because it’s not comparable, but even with this side, against City, it Pardew set up like that for the first 35 there would be hell on here. It should never be acceptable for a NUFC team at home to simply turn up not to play, the fans deserve better.

City's pressing is the best I've seen in the league, tbh, they knew our players couldn't handle that intensity. There was immediately 3 players on us as soon as we got it.

When you factor in how they set up to dominate second balls, they're fucking terrifying, especially from a tactical pov.

I thought we did fine and the tactics were totally valid. Save the outrage for something actually worthwhile, man.

I’m not upset about us not taking the game to them or having a go, I’m upset about how for 35 minutes or so we basically from the first whistle laid down and against a team like this it will only ever result in a guaranteed defeat and an almost guaranteed heavy defeat.

The fact it didn’t happen doesn’t make it all the more right or acceptable. Again, that first 35 was the worst I’ve ever seen us play, ever, we were not bad in that we were sloppy in possession or we were making huge mistakes we were that bad because we did nothing and nothing whatsoever. I counted maybe 3 passes together, every time the ball come in we just lumped it as far away from our box as possible with zero thought or intent on engaging City or trying to compete.

They are a great side we know, but they are not invincible. Their players are not superman FFS. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s not what I want to see from any NUFC side at any time regardless of the opposition or how crap we are. If we went into every game like that we would go down easily because again it begs the opposition to score and score again and again.

If you don’t have the ball you are not in the game and for 35 minutes it was that way. There was no opposition, just black and white shirts standing, jockeying and doing f*** all on the ball. All Man City who thankfully didn’t take us to the cleaners.

We got lucky, we got away with it and we move on. If I see a Rafa side play like that again though I’ll start questioning the man. I now want to see the reverse against Brighton.

You make valid points RE former managers and of course I shouldn’t bring them into it because it’s not comparable, but even with this side, against City, it Pardew set up like that for the first 35 there would be hell on here. It should never be acceptable for a NUFC team at home to simply turn up not to play, the fans deserve better.

Understood on your points - agree with a ton of it to be honest in the whole.

Honestly if Pardew set us up the same with the same players we'd have been 5-0 down after 60 minutes. For every half chance they didn't score, they'd have created more because our defensive shape would have fallen to pieces, or even after that first goal conceded we'd have fallen right apart in typical fashion.

Guest Howaythetoon

City's pressing is the best I've seen in the league, tbh, they knew our players couldn't handle that intensity. There was immediately 3 players on us as soon as we got it.

When you factor in how they set up to dominate second balls, they're f***ing terrifying, especially from a tactical pov.

I thought we did fine and the tactics were totally valid. Save the outrage for something actually worthwhile, man.

Pressing, when one of our players got on the ball there wasn’t a man in sight from our lot so it was easy for a City player, probably the least taxing game they’ve ever had. Agreed about the outrage comment though and looking back over the match I’m angry with one man only for allowing us to become such cannon fodder and it’s all the more heart breaking seeing who we have in our dugout. Who given even half an equal playing field would be capable of actually beating this City team. Takeover please happen.

Guest Howaythetoon

Understood on your points - agree with a ton of it to be honest in the whole.

Honestly if Pardew set us up the same with the same players we'd have been 5-0 down after 60 minutes. For every half chance they didn't score, they'd have created more because our defensive shape would have fallen to pieces, or even after that first goal conceded we'd have fallen right apart in typical fashion.

Your not wrong RE Pardew, but last night we could have so easily been in at half time 3-4 down because of how we set up. The pleasing thing as you said is we never lost our shape or looked like we would fall to pieces. Mind, a few extra goals conceded and I think they would have ran riot. Thankfully they rarely got out of second gear and a 1-0 defeat all things considered can actually be considered a win. Urgh I hate Ashley and modern football for making me think that way. I hate it when commentators call Burnley drawing with Man Utd away a famous result for example.