Newcastle United 0 - 0 Brighton - 30/12/17 - Post-wank discussion from pg 17

Dave

Are we allowed to express negative opinions about today?

Aslong as they aren't about Rafa you should be alright.

Why do people keep saying this? :lol:

I WANT TO CALL RAFA BENITEZ 'THE SPANISH TONY PULIS' IN PEACE WITHOUT ANYONE BRINGING UP ANY COUNTER ARGUMENTS FOR WHY HE MAY HAVE US PLAYING LIKE HE HAS

Negative tactics don’t help when the players can’t stay on their feet, control a ball, pass the ball, take a clean shot, or win the ball back. 

You can't legislate for some of the incompetence on show from the players today. Basics went missing. They look scared shitless to play at home.

The home team have had 43% of possession compared to the away team's 57% :undecided:

Every game is the same. It's what we do, surrender possession so we can try and not get beat.

Funny that, we beat West Ham just the other week with 35% possession whilst apparently 'trying not to get beat'

That's what we do. We go out to not get beat and if we score then brilliant. We never go out to try and take it to a team. I will never warm to this kind of football like, always detested the "not get beat" style. Just takes any kind of enjoyment out of the game of football.

I was taking the p*ss, you'd have to be a bit daft to think that we went out to not get beaten in that West Ham match.

I'm mainly talking about playing this way at home. It isn't right.

I don't agree, Rafa's working with what he has, if you think we should take it to teams indiscriminately, godspeed.

So are you happy with two banks of four in front of our box and letting a team as s*** as Brighton have all the possession? I just don't get it. It's not how it should be done at home, which is why our record is so s***.

I didn't say I was happy, I said Rafa's working with what he has.

He is, I agree with you, but I wish we would do it with the ball more. We set up at home like you would expect for an away game. You should never let the opposition have more of the ball than you at home like, but we set up like that. For me it is nowhere near good enough.

It's been said countless times, but I can't work out why people can agree that Rafa's working with what he has and then complain that we don't dominate possession or take it to teams at home. Which one is it? Is Rafa working with what he has or should we be attacking teams? For me there's a crucial link between the two and a bit of contradiction in terms from people who keep forgetting time and time and time again that these players are nowhere near good enough.

Some of these players aren't a million miles off being good enough.

That's where I fundamentally disagree, for me it's comfortably the worst NUFC squad I've ever seen for the level its playing at, including both relegation squads.

Lets say we replace half the team with 15-20m players, or much better if we can't agree on value, don't you think some of this lot could look a lot better in a more confident fluid side?

I'm thinking Lascelles, Merino for definite - then Atsu, Murphy, Shelvey probably, and I'm not giving up on Lejuene yet, still think there could be a big player there.

Core of the problem may be in that Rafa doesn't think they're good enough (as in trust) - that creates its own problems because it is difficult to hide that from the players themselves.

Hmm, I don't think I've given you much of an argument. :(

Very negative that like, even from throw ins nobody was willing to make a move. Just looked like a the players were scared to attack in case they conceded a goal. Everybody’s going on about takeovers and buying our way out but at the end of the day the manager sets out the way the team plays.

The home team have had 43% of possession compared to the away team's 57% :undecided:

Every game is the same. It's what we do, surrender possession so we can try and not get beat.

Funny that, we beat West Ham just the other week with 35% possession whilst apparently 'trying not to get beat'

That's what we do. We go out to not get beat and if we score then brilliant. We never go out to try and take it to a team. I will never warm to this kind of football like, always detested the "not get beat" style. Just takes any kind of enjoyment out of the game of football.

I was taking the p*ss, you'd have to be a bit daft to think that we went out to not get beaten in that West Ham match.

I don't agree, Rafa's working with what he has, if you think we should take it to teams indiscriminately, godspeed.

So are you happy with two banks of four in front of our box and letting a team as s*** as Brighton have all the possession? I just don't get it. It's not how it should be done at home, which is why our record is so s***.

He is, I agree with you, but I wish we would do it with the ball more. We set up at home like you would expect for an away game. You should never let the opposition have more of the ball than you at home like, but we set up like that. For me it is nowhere near good enough.

It's been said countless times, but I can't work out why people can agree that Rafa's working with what he has and then complain that we don't dominate possession or take it to teams at home. Which one is it? Is Rafa working with what he has or should we be attacking teams? For me there's a crucial link between the two and a bit of contradiction in terms from people who keep forgetting time and time and time again that these players are nowhere near good enough.

Sorry but that's bollocks. This was Brighton we were playing. We could pass it off when it was Man City but not when it's a s*** team like Brighton. We are a crap team but we are more than capable of pressing a s*** team like Brighton and showing more desire to get forward. To sit back and let such a s*** team have so much of the ball at home is inexcusable.

No idea what you were watching but 'letting' didn't come into it, they're just not good enough. If you think that's bollocks, like I said, godspeed, but  I don't and it's as simple as that.

I do think that's bollocks because Brighton are not a better team than us. We are better than we are showing (not much like) but we are more than capable of taking a game to a team like Brighton at home. And letting the opposition have the ball is right, it's what we do and how we set up, then hoping to hit teams on the counter, which for me is disgusting at home. (Love playing that way away from home as it has had a form of success). But at home it's awful, no matter how shit you think our players are.

Debatable, but in any case we were picking up more points than Brighton playing exactly like we did today before Lascelles got injured and our defence went to pot.

Guest firetotheworks

That's where I fundamentally disagree, for me it's comfortably the worst NUFC squad I've ever seen for the level its playing at, including both relegation squads.

Lets say we replace half the team with 15-20m players, or much better if we can't agree on value, don't you think some of this lot could look a lot better in a more confident fluid side?

I'm thinking Lascelles, Merino for definite - then Atsu, Murphy, Shelvey probably, and I'm not giving up on Lejuene yet, still think there could be a big player there.

Core of the problem may be in that Rafa doesn't think they're good enough (as in trust) - that creates its own problems because it is difficult to hide that from the players themselves.

Of course, but that's how these things work. Everyone knows we need a striker and a number 10, and that getting those two things would make a massive difference. For me the team is functional in terms of organisation and shape, which is down to Rafa, but going forward there's very, very little to hang your hat on. Sort out both of those areas in January and it should make a huge difference.

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry but that's bollocks. This was Brighton we were playing. We could pass it off when it was Man City but not when it's a s*** team like Brighton. We are a crap team but we are more than capable of pressing a s*** team like Brighton and showing more desire to get forward. To sit back and let such a s*** team have so much of the ball at home is inexcusable.

No idea what you were watching but 'letting' didn't come into it, they're just not good enough. If you think that's bollocks, like I said, godspeed, but  I don't and it's as simple as that.

I do think that's bollocks because Brighton are not a better team than us. We are better than we are showing (not much like) but we are more than capable of taking a game to a team like Brighton at home. And letting the opposition have the ball is right, it's what we do and how we set up, then hoping to hit teams on the counter, which for me is disgusting at home. (Love playing that way away from home as it has had a form of success). But at home it's awful, no matter how shit you think our players are.

We're at complete opposite ends of the argument here. I think Brighton are a better team than us, as I thought last year before they improved and we didn't.

Of course, but that's how these things work. Everyone knows we need a striker and a number 10, and that getting those two things would make a massive difference. For me the team is functional in terms of organisation and shape, which is down to Rafa, but going forward there's very, very little to hang your hat on. Sort out both of those areas in January and it should make a huge difference.

were you at the game today? Our problems are a lot deeper than a striker and a number 10.

Guest reefatoon

I do think that's bollocks because Brighton are not a better team than us. We are better than we are showing (not much like) but we are more than capable of taking a game to a team like Brighton at home. And letting the opposition have the ball is right, it's what we do and how we set up, then hoping to hit teams on the counter, which for me is disgusting at home. (Love playing that way away from home as it has had a form of success). But at home it's awful, no matter how s*** you think our players are.

Debatable, but in any case we were picking up more points than Brighton playing exactly like we did today before Lascelles got injured and our defence went to pot.

Yes we were. I am not a fan of that style of football at all, especially at home. It never looks as bad when we win as we all just say "that was a bit shit, but at least it is three points". For me you gain confidence as a team when you attack and have more of the ball. Don't let the opposition do it in your own back yard. Whether that is the players just not listening or how they are sent out to play, at home it needs to stop. Give the fans something to get out of their seat and shout about, which in turn lifts the players.

Guest firetotheworks

were you at the game today? Our problems are a lot deeper than a striker and a number 10.

I know they are, that doesn't mean both wouldn't still make a big difference.

Guest reefatoon

Yep, I agree with you there.

Thing is, we don't even counter. We're so slow going forward regardless how many players they have back.

Countered really well at West Ham. Arguably the best we have played on the break since that amazing WBA away game in the orange kit. Ahhh. Good times. the performance and players, I mean. Not Pardew!

It was painful to watch how terrified we look on the ball. Last 10 minutes nobody even wanted to receive a throw. Yedlin was absolutely diabolic with the ball at his feet unless he had acres of open pitch ahead of him. They all looked petrified of losing possession.

As a side note: Can anybody explain the thought behind substituting Ritchie for Perez other than Ritchie playing as poorly as everyone else?

We're a poor team playing with very little confidence - hard to see us staying up without significant investment, which means takeover or bust I reckon.

Rafa certainly isn't blameless but i don't think there's a manager out there who could do any better with what's available.

Countered really well at West Ham. Arguably the best we have played on the break since that amazing WBA away game in the orange kit. Ahhh. Good times. the performance and players, I mean. Not Pardew!

Watched the 11/12 season review recently. The winning run surrounding that game was probably the peak of the Pardew era. What his 'tactics' can bring if everything else magically falls into place.

Are we allowed to express negative opinions today?

Express them all you want and argue your f***ing points instead of being a whinging drip.

You're kidding right? It was like North Korea in here after the City game

A peaceful land of happiness and bounty, united under a demi-god, bullied by a jealous nation of ingrates an ocean away?

Watched the 11/12 season review recently. The winning run surrounding that game was probably peak Pardew. What his 'tactics' can bring if everything else magically falls into place.

Look at that side though. Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Coloccini all at their zenith with us. When you've got talented players you can afford to carry less talented hardworking players like Perch, Williamson, Jonas etc. like that team did. How many of our players would get into that team now? Lascelles and maybe Merino.  We're miles away in terms of quality.

Just back from the match and that was very poor, no tempo, no zip, no creativity, no pace and no quality. I know we are not very good and we need more quality players but the very minimum is 100% effort and we just didn't get that today.

Just back from the match and that was very poor, no tempo, no zip, no creativity, no pace and no quality. I know we are not very good and we need more quality players but the very minimum is 100% effort and we just didn't get that today.

It was rotten. Could have played until tomorrow and we wouldn't have scored.