The other games today 2018/19

Greg

PSG are a fraud themselves for me. Never considered them real CL contenders, anymore than seasons before. No doubting they've some quality players, and on their day they can be a match for anyone. 

Can't see them ever winning the CL for as long as they approach the game with the Ibra/Neymar ethos. Sides that enforce a team first mentality in their squad, and can then mix world class players with a team approach on the pitch will always edge them. 

They just seem to want to have a talisman, and then assemble good players around him.

PSG are a fraud themselves for me. Never considered them real CL contenders, anymore than seasons before. No doubting they've some quality players, and on their day they can be a match for anyone. 

Can't see them ever winning the CL for as long as they approach the game with the Ibra/Neymar ethos. Sides that enforce a team first mentality in their squad, and can then mix world class players with a team approach on the pitch will always edge them.

They just seem to want to have a talisman, and then assemble good players around him.

Think that's a pretty spot on assessment tbf, especially the bolded bit.

Neymar's best use of his talent would have to stuck at Barca. 

Stuff about him wanting to be the main man at PSG that's constantly in media is garbage. Could have quite easily been that at Barca, just they would never publicly or even privately endorse that. He'd have to go out on the pitch and allow the world to recognise that.

At this stage of Messi's career he really isn't the competition for the limelight that he would have been a few years ago under Pep's tenure that obviously ruffled Ibrahimovic's delicate sensibilities.

Emery just like Allegri are footballing frauds.

Do people rate Emery? he's a known big match flop, i mean he's not a bad coach but he's constantly been bad when it matters going back to his Valencia days.

Mentally he's just not strong enough to manage a club that aims to win trophies every year. Disagree on Allegri mind, he's consistently had to retool the Juventus squad because they keep selling their best players and they remain competitive.

Do people rate Emery? he's a known big match flop, i mean he's not a bad coach but he's constantly been bad when it matters going back to his Valencia days.

Mentally he's just not strong enough to manage a club that aims to win trophies every year. Disagree on Allegri mind, he's consistently had to retool the Juventus squad because they keep selling their best players and they remain competitive.

He did win 3 Europa League titles in a row with Sevilla, so he has achieved at a high level when it matters in the past.

I think his issue is that he is one of those managers who suits a lesser team that is looking to over achieve rather than a side in the limelight that has permanent high expectations, a younger, slicker version of Roy Hodgson.

I just have a strong dislike for the style of football implemented by Allegri in important games. Was at the game on tuesday and seeing Juventus defend deep straight after going 2-0 and not even try to attack for most parts and when they did having Higuain and a poor Douglas Costa trying to counter-attack by themselves was ridiculous. The italians around me didn't have nice words towards Allegri.

When it comes to Emery, he makes multiple weird decisions every game. Doesn't cost them in the league since most teams are ridiculously bad, but in the CL? At least the return leg is going to force them to play an attacking football. Hope Motta is back for it as well as he's an integral part of the team as PSG clearly lack depth in central midfield.

Not sure managing at that circus should have too much of a reflection on a manager's career. Must be a nightmare of a club to manage upwardly and down.

However Emery's outlook or philosophy of how his team should be paid is going to be a struggle at best to get across, let alone having to suddenly build a team to function around Neymar and Mbappe in a few weeks of pre-season. Unless you're a manager with a huge reputation it's going to be impossible to get that squad following what your vision is to the letter, even then you're just better of letting the tail wag the dog in the case of Ancellotti/Ibra, and wait for the pay-off.

Still think PSG will go through.

If they play like they've done today, they could very well beat them 2-0 at home or even by more. They've been unlucky over the 90 minutes. To be the better team and lose 3-1 must suck :lol:

Agree. Just caught the game and thought they were the better side. Their goalie is a clown and Imo responsible for the second goal. Think he could have smothered the ball but wanted to look good for the cameras.

Ramos owned Mbappe the whole game. Just no nonsense from him tonight. Modric chest and shoulder control was something special.

Thought PSG were sloppy in defence (Pen was soft, but no need to put your hands there), keeper looks a bit dodgy - first two goals were very avoidable.

Liverpool result was impressive. Insane to think City and Liverpool won combined 9-0 away in the Knockout stages of Champions League.  :lol:

What a load of rubbish when talking about Allegri, he's a fantastic manager and one of the best tacticians around.

Like I wrote afterwards I wrote that because of my strong dislike for his philisophy. Really don’t see him as one of the best either. One of the best tacticians doesn’t go up 2-0 and then at home gets outplayed for 70 minutes by Tottenham. His tactics let them back in the game.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched a couple of the highlights from the CL this week, first time I've watched it for years. Really started missing our European nights :(

Watched some of the Spurs and Madrid matches and it’s noticable how much of a huge step up that level is. Different football almost. We are of course a long long way off from that sadly. I quite fancy Spurs as an outsider for the tournament. It would be nice to see a different name on it.

Guest Howaythetoon

What a load of rubbish when talking about Allegri, he's a fantastic manager and one of the best tacticians around.

I think generally Italian managers are the best around, just look at their success in the PL.

Like I wrote afterwards I wrote that because of my strong dislike for his philisophy. Really don’t see him as one of the best either. One of the best tacticians doesn’t go up 2-0 and then at home gets outplayed for 70 minutes by Tottenham. His tactics let them back in the game.

You can dislike the way he plays/sets his teams up but he certainly isn't a fraud. I think he's a superb manager. Has a creepy smile, mind.

You can dislike the way he plays/sets his teams up but he certainly isn't a fraud. I think he's a superb manager. Has a creepy smile, mind.

:lol:

Well Emery isn't a fraud either if we're going to be sensible.

Neymar wilts in Madrid as superclub tie descends into Disneyfied dystopia

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/15/neymar-cristiano-ronaldo-psg-real-madrid-champions-league-super-clubs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Agree with Wilson here about Neymar, I wasn't that impressed with him last night.

Ridiculous analogies , ridiculous logic and statements which aren't true. :lol: (re, article)

Guest firetotheworks

I agree about there being little cohesion, mind. I don't think I've ever really enjoyed watching Real Madrid and that could be the reason.

Neymar wilts in Madrid as superclub tie descends into Disneyfied dystopia

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/15/neymar-cristiano-ronaldo-psg-real-madrid-champions-league-super-clubs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Agree with Wilson here about Neymar, I wasn't that impressed with him last night.

All tricks, no end product. Looked too interested in showing off than playing football