Newcastle United 1 - 1 Burnley - 31/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Dave

Other than the opening of the season when he was clearly unfit Gayle has never been anywhere near as bad as Joselu.

If we'd had Joselu last season instead of Gayle we'd have finished bottom half of the Championship. The bloke is a fucking carthorse.

Guest firetotheworks

Other than the opening of the season when he was clearly unfit Gayle has never been anywhere near as bad as Joselu.

Hmm.

It's gutting conceding so late, but there's a lot of positives.

Burnley have only lost to a side outside the top 7 once since the second week of the season. They haven't even conceded against most.

The fact we should have won this game with ease says a lot really. Get a good striker on some of those chances, thats really good signs imo.

:thup: plus a real positive with Kenedy. Incredible debut. We are going to have to get some unexpected wins now though. The real-deal Slimani please step-up!

We're absolutely f***ed. If we can't beat a Burnley side at home who clearly couldn't give a f*** about tonight then we're not staying up.

Kenedy and Murphy were excellent, but my god Dummet, Yedlin, and Joselu....how the hell are they part of this squad. Appalling players.

Yup.

Dummett looks like a vegan in a butcher shop. Just an awful player, and not very good defender either.

Yedlin made more mistakes than the rest of the team combined. He's going backwards in a big way.

The less said about Joselu the better

Kennedy was class, hope we dont see him at LB looks far to creative to be pushed out there, him and Murphy will be a threat from the wings, much more pace in the side with those two, im sure Slimani would get opportunities from Kennedy and Murphy.

No way Atsu will start the next game after that latest showing, he was dreadful. He has ability but his inconsistency is just mental.

Burnley have beaten top teams this season, and we haven't been great at home.

It's not so much the result, but the nature of it, especially with Kenedy doing so well and the wave of optimism with Slimani coming in.

Let's be thankful that we have seemingly brought in a very good player that has got us a point already in Kenedy. We once again created numerous chances and should have a striker coming in that can convert them.

Better days ahead guys. Thank God we didn't lose.

You are really one of the only bright spots in the football section of the forum, man.

Thanks man. Just trying to stay positive.

Think Kenedy has really lifted the team and Slimani will too.

It was a heart wrenching result though, so can't be mad at people's reactions really.

After watching that performance I really think we'll be fine. Murphy and Kenedy have to start out wide from now on, with Slimani up top. Atsu was as much of a culprit as Joselu tonight IMO.

Burnley are 7th and though they are a disgusting specimen of football, they get results and I guarantee you their fans will be annoyed they didn't beat us tonight. We are just above the relegation zone, with a manager that is not being supported by the owner and a terrible record at home.

If Kenedy doesn't start tonight I think we lose this one easily. That was a huge call by Benitez. Just wish he had left out Atsu and Joselu also. He now has more options to do so though, so let's see.

Diame was class tonight like. Merino, Murphy & Kenedy too. I reckon we'll be comfortable if Slimani gets up and running. We'd have been out of sight today with him upfront I feel.

On Kenedy, he actually added dynamism to our attacks which has been missing - he looks to have made us so much more potent & threatening. Real quality footballer on tonights showing.

What was their goal like, it being credited to Darlow?

They won a header from a corner, then a guy right in front of Darlow flicked it on, great save from Darlow but flicked it up onto the bar, came back down onto him and in.

Yeah, honestly thought Diame gave one of the best individual performances of the season tbh. Don't think he put a foot wrong; touch and control was good, loads of accurate forward passes, good physicality. Didn't think he was capable of a game like that last season.

Guest firetotheworks

Hmm.

His record is bad but Joselu takes it to a whole new level. 2 goals in 18 starts and missing a penalty, he's tragic. His headers go nowhere too.

I don't think either of us want to get into anything as tragic as a who's worse-off :lol:, but I genuinely think Gayle's been worse purely because Joselu has still at least contributed some hold up play. That penalty miss runs it close, but Gayle has been almost entirely invisible all season. Anyway, thank fuck we've got Slimani in.

What was their goal like, it being credited to Darlow?

Pushes it onto the underside of the bar, comes back down while he's falling backwards on the line, goes in off his shoulder(?). 

Result of a questionable corner, and us shitting ourselves to allow them to pile the pressure on.

Shit cunts.

We're absolutely f***ed. If we can't beat a Burnley side at home who clearly couldn't give a f*** about tonight then we're not staying up.

Kenedy and Murphy were excellent, but my god Dummet, Yedlin, and Joselu....how the hell are they part of this squad. Appalling players.

Yup.

Dummett looks like a vegan in a butcher shop. Just an awful player, and not very good defender either.

Yedlin made more mistakes than the rest of the team combined. He's going backwards in a big way.

The less said about Joselu the better

Great im not the only one noting this. Its Santon all over again but on the other side.

Many hate it on here if players get a hard time, but he will cost us points if we dont find an answer with him or someone else. How far away from fitness is Sterry? Is he still with the club atm? Id be tempted to try someone else, the only back up Manquillo who's equally turd.

Diame MOTM. Massive turnaround from him. He looks sharper, fitter and seems to have found a yard of pace from somewhere. Fair fucking play to Big Mo.

Kenedy looks exciting and what we have been lacking. Can take a set piece and looks like he can actually play as a winger, unlike Atsu and Ritchie. Who seem to be going backwards.

We look really shaky at the back all of a sudden. Seem a bit one paced, bar Yedlin and none of them can play football. So the ball gets treated like a bomb.

Really odd feeling. As part of me is hopeful based on 70 minutes or so. Kenedy looks like he could be an important player and you’d like to think Slimani (if he signs) would be chipping in with goals if we keep playing like this. But it is yet another game we have chucked points away against a shit side. Still can’t win at home and unable to beat teams in the top half.

Had a chance to put a mini gap between the bottom three. But couldn’t hang on against an awful attacking unit.

We were good till the 75th minute, but that last 15 minutes shows how low in confidence we are at home.

Only reason we're constantly low on confidence and riding our luck is because we batter teams for 60-odd minutes and our strikers simply do not score. I have zero confidence in us scoring from open play. It's fucking ridiculous.