New TV Deal

I was listening to someone on the radio the other day about the TV deal. Anyway he was saying that the foreign broadcasters get their streams fed to them from the domestic broadcasters, even games that aren't on TV over here but are on TV abroad have their stream supplied by the domestic broadcaster. At the moment Sky have so much facilities for it that it would cost a significant amount and take a significant amount of time for any streaming service to set the same level of infrastructure. I believe BT pay to use Sky's services to be able to broadcast the games, and it's one of the reasons why BT will only have a small amount of games that Sky aren't allowed to have.

Anyway the end result of this is that it would be much easier for the streaming providers to leave the domestic market alone for Sky and BT to operate, and then win the foreign rights where Sky will provide the feed but will not be in direct competition.

I am foreign so I don't quite understand how the package works.  Is that you have to choose the package instead of the provider?

Here is quite straight forward. Around 24 pounds per month for all matches.

I am foreign so I don't quite understand how the package works.  Is that you have to choose the package instead of the provider?

No, the packages are what the providers purchase from the PL. So theoretically, you could have 7 (or however many packages they are) different providers with rights to show various different matches. Not that that's ever going to happen.

No. The packages are sold to each Network, so that Network has exclusive coverage of matches that are shown at those times. The Networks then pick which games will be shown at each time about 6 weeks before the match, that way they can garuantee that they will show games including the big teams, derbies, and any sort of title, top 4, or relegation battle.

Domestic rights down but overseas rights expected rose by 40% - SKY Sports seem to have done well out of it compared the current deal!

How the latest Premier League deal breaks down

200 games per season for three years in seven packages

Sky Sports has won four packages to screen 128 matches per season

It will pay a total of £3.5bn or £9.3m per game

BT Sport has one package to screen 32 matches per season

It will pay a total £885m or £9.2m per game

Two packages of 20 games each are still up for auction

How does that compare with 2015?

BT Sport paid £960m to screen 42 games per season, or £7.6m a match

Sky Sports paid £4.1bn to show 126 matches per season or £11m per game

I think the domestic rights will plateau now and potentially begin to slide. A lot of people with streaming boxes or at least saying no to subscribing to 2 providers.

However the international rights probably have unlimited growth potential inhibited only by time zone differences.

Guest firetotheworks

Obviously it's not the foreign viewer's fault at all for wanting to watch football, but it's sometimes hard to not unfairly resent them for providing the market that's ultimately ruining the game on just another front. It's a lot easier to be a dick about it when you see plenty lauding it up online about teams they apparently support, though.

It'll be interesting to see how far it goes before the domestic fans decide that enough's enough in terms of being shafted in order to cater for things like time zone differences.

Can see the international rights ending up as a league subscription where you can subscribe to a couple of teams.

Huddersfield vs Bournemouth was on TV at the weekend. The American fans, who seemingly only watch the top 6 have no idea who either of those teams are.

Can see the international rights ending up as a league subscription where you can subscribe to a couple of teams.

Huddersfield vs Bournemouth was on TV at the weekend. The American fans, who seemingly only watch the top 6 have no idea who either of those teams are.

I'm sure the UK ratings were through the roof for that match.

Aye, the money we need to buy (loan) some players.

If it wasn't for NBC I'd not be able to watch and/or record every one of Newcastle's matches and watch the best matchups each week on my DVR when I'm not doing things with my family etc. Long may it continue.

Guest neesy111

Obviously it's not the foreign viewer's fault at all for wanting to watch football, but it's sometimes hard to not unfairly resent them for providing the market that's ultimately ruining the game on just another front. It's a lot easier to be a dick about it when you see plenty lauding it up online about teams they apparently support, though.

It'll be interesting to see how far it goes before the domestic fans decide that enough's enough in terms of being shafted in order to cater for things like time zone differences.

I think the UK rights have peaked and fans will start switching off as they get more used to streaming / having other options to watch.

Would you all just prefer 1 network to own them? Wouldn't it make it easier to plan / watch that way? And is it finally looking like the PL matches will now ALL be covered in the UK?

Theoretically it would make more sense for the viewer to have all the games in one package and only pay one set fee, however I'd imagine if Sky had exclusive rights to all games the price of that package would sky rocket exponentially making it more expensive than 2 separate entities.

I just want a package where I can watch all of our away games. It's ridiculous that you can watch them all in other countries.

Even if I couldn't watch the match it still won't make me go to a lower league game like Gateshead, Shields or Sunderland.

I think the domestic rights will plateau now and potentially begin to slide. A lot of people with streaming boxes or at least saying no to subscribing to 2 providers.

However the international rights probably have unlimited growth potential inhibited only by time zone differences.

The streaming boxes are a bigger problem for many Asian Broadcasters. For about GBP80 annually, you can watch ALL EPL games and all other non football channels too. Just go to Aliexpress and you can see the choice of boxes

I just want a package where I can watch all of our away games. It's ridiculous that you can watch them all in other countries.

Even if I couldn't watch the match it still won't make me go to a lower league game like Gateshead, Shields or Sunderland.

That would surely be an excellent idea for them wouldn't it? Offer a platform where you can sign up to stream the away games for one club only per season.

They'd make a fucking killing as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/14/premier-league-bubble-not-bursting-tv-rights-sky-bt-sport

Sky and BT are paying less but the Premier League bubble has not burst

David Conn

Broadcasters are saving under the latest TV rights deal but it does not look like the beginning of the end for the money feast

Wed 14 Feb 2018 15.01 GMT  Last modified on Wed 14 Feb 2018 22.01 GMT 

The deal just concluded means not one top-flight English match will be shown live on terrestrial TV for fully 30 years since the Premier League was formed.     

An assessment of the near-£4.5bn committed to Premier League clubs for live UK televising of their matches from 2019‑22 can be assisted by adapting a famous old quip: reports of football’s bubble bursting are greatly exaggerated.

True, this £4.464bn to 20 football clubs, on which Sky and BT Sport will aim to make profits by charging supporters subscriptions, is approximately £500m less than the record £5.13bn the two broadcasters paid last time for the 2016-19 rights. But it does not look like the beginning of the end for the money feast for clubs, their owners, managers, players and agents, which they have been served up for 25 years by making supporters pay to watch football on television.

What the Premier League TV deal means for you: key questions answered 

The deals put the Premier League already at around 90% of the current £5.13bn, with two remaining packages to be sold. These two are experimental, seemingly designed to attract an internet platform: all 10 matches on the fixture list can be broadcast simultaneously, four different times per season.

Talk of the bubble bursting overlooks that these concluded sales are only for UK broadcast. Overseas rights sales are still to be sealed, in a global village whose populations are engaging with ever-increasing interest in the English top flight’s spectacle of multinational stars. The Premier League has let it be known that it has already sold rights in China, the US, South Africa and Brazil, and expects international sales to more than cover the domestic gap. The rights in China are said to have been sold for $700m, 10 times the amount received for the 2016-19 seasons.

Domestically, while the £4.464bn committed is a dip, that £5.1bn was a dramatic, 70% increase on the previous £3bn paid by Sky and BT Sport for 2013-16, and every deal before that. In historical terms, the 2019-22 money is huge, £3.579bn paid by Sky for the prime-time packages and to maintain its “Super Sunday” dominance. This is in-your-face evidence that in a non-stop blizzard of media and internet content, live top-flight football remains a solid landmark, central to pay-TV companies’ ability to maintain subscribers.

Sky’s huge commitment is still £199m less than it paid for its current rights, but that is thought to be due to BT Sport deciding to stick with what it has, no longer trying to establish itself by paying hugely to blow Sky out of the water. BT Sport is still paying £885m, for only 32 Saturday matches per season kicking off at 12.30pm, none of which will be “first picks”. That is not far down from the £960m the company paid last time – which bought it 10 more matches per season.

Football remains about the only content people are near-guaranteed to fork out for when a subscription becomes required

BT Sport, after it failed to supplant Sky’s near-monopoly hold on Premier League live matches, turned instead to buy up Uefa’s Champions League rights exclusively. It vastly increased the £400m previously being paid by Sky and ITV, and took the Champions League off terrestrial, free-to-air television for the first time. It must have considered that it worked to haul subscribers in, and renewed again last year, paying £1.2bn to Uefa for the rights to broadcast matches in the 2018-21 seasons.

People wondering if the bubble is bursting are forgetting the history, and the companies which tried before to vault their fortunes on the backs of football subscribers. ITV Digital and Setanta went bust; ESPN did not persist. BT is a £24bn revenue behemoth still founded on the original nationalised telephone infrastructure, whose main business is mobile phone and broadband. It has seen pay-TV as a strategic way to attract subscribers, and built BT Sport into a credible broadcaster with a generally good sports package, not too reliant on archive or obscure filler. With that achieved, BT Sport said it was being “financially disciplined” not to bid for the prime Premier League rights this time, hence the dip in competition.

Football, with its crowds of avid supporters, remains what Sky discovered the hard way before 1992: about the only content which brings people so loyal they are near-guaranteed to fork out when a subscription becomes required. Rupert Murdoch described sport in 1996 as a “battering ram” for the expansion of Sky, and so it has been.

The very founding purpose of the breakaway by the Football League’s First Division clubs to form the Premier League in 1992 was to sell their TV rights for dramatically more than they did previously to free-to-air ITV, and not to share the bonanza with the clubs in the three lower divisions. The deal just concluded means not one top-flight English match will be shown live on terrestrial TV for fully 30 years since then. Some supporters might still lament that football is the people’s game, and their loyalties should not be so comprehensively sold behind a paywall, but the battering ram flattened that view a long time ago.

I've been hoping for about the last 3 deals that Sky would offer "season tickets" for individual teams for all games. I guess there are clubs who are scared home attendances would suffer but they could easily restrict it to outside a certain distance to allay that.