Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As in pregnancy, you are pregnant.  You can't be a little bit pregnant or just pregnant.  You ARE pregnant.  I know it's a strange analogy but you can't be nearly or a little bit offside.  You ARE offside.  Simplex.  :D

My thoughts, it's offside.  Was it a trick question?

No, just seems that if it's close some people think it can't be given as offside, even if it is.  :idiot2:

My issue is this level of semantics and close inspection when it should boil down to was any advantage gained from someone being a few cms offside, the law was made to stop goal hanging not to be nitpicky bastards

No, just seems that if it's close some people think it can't be given as offside, even if it is.  :idiot2:

My issue is this level of semantics and close inspection when it should boil down to was any advantage gained from someone being a few cms offside, the law was made to stop goal hanging not to be nitpicky b******s

But defences are built around the defensive line now. Any "benefit of the doubt" rule would just result in defences sitting deeper IMO

I think it should only be used to reverse clear and obvious mistakes. Make linos make a decision (flag down for onside or up for offside) on a tight offside and let the play flow. If it  results in a goal then have a look at it. If the 2 lines are basically overlapping then go with the lino's call. If they're that close that you can't fit a sheet of paper between them then it's not a clear and obvious mistake.

It should be there the correct the howlers, not the 2mm judgement calls. This is all imo obviously, I totally understand the black and white, yes or no, on or off arguments but I'd like the blokes on the park to call it as they see it. By all means correct their big mistakes but basically leave them to it. If it's ridiculously tight, go with their decision at the time.

My issue is this level of semantics and close inspection when it should boil down to was any advantage gained from someone being a few cms offside, the law was made to stop goal hanging not to be nitpicky bastards

Goal hanging?

I think it should only be used to reverse clear and obvious mistakes. Make linos make a decision (flag down for onside or up for offside) on a tight offside and let the play flow. If it  results in a goal then have a look at it. If the 2 lines are basically overlapping then go with the lino's call. If they're that close that you can't fit a sheet of paper between them then it's not a clear and obvious mistake.

It should be there the correct the howlers, not the 2mm judgement calls. This is all imo obviously, I totally understand the black and white, yes or no, on or off arguments but I'd like the blokes on the park to call it as they see it. By all means correct their big mistakes but basically leave them to it. If it's ridiculously tight, go with their decision at the time.

How often are the lines overlapping though? Ones like the Sterling & Son offsides, the lines , no matter how marginal, have been offside. I think also if the you have the linesmen flag every tight decision then make the call, you’re going to get more offside calls awarded than goals given if we are only going to overturn the obvious ones.

Can we please stop saying it's definitely offside? Apart from the issues regarding the camera frame rate (Son was more likely to be onside than off, due to the margin of error), the lines are drawn on by a human that's not a trained referee, who decides on the spot where a shoulder ends and an arm begins. There is very little objectivity.

Can we please stop saying it's definitely offside? Apart from the issues regarding the camera frame rate (Son was more likely to be onside than off, due to the margin of error), the lines are drawn on by a human that's not a trained referee, who decides on the spot where a shoulder ends and an arm begins. There is very little objectivity.

I’m saying ‘definitely offside’ in terms of what VAR is offering. I reckon VAR has got more correct than if it went with the linesmen’s call. It’s going to get more correct calls than wrong ones doing it the way it is.

One thing I will say though is, it’s not showing ‘big club bias’. The two tightest calls so far have been Man City at West Ham and Spurs at Leicester. They’re making a 100% genuine attempt to get the correct decision.

How many times in the past have we questioned the officials’ integrity in calls like that? There’s been a few games this season where we’ve been pulled up by the linesman in a promising position when replays have shown afterwards the lino was probably wrong. Had it been let go and went to VAR had we went on to score (I know, I know) there’s a good chance the goal would have stood.

Pretty sure I read on Reddit that the frame rate article was completely made up by Daily Mail. They said VAR uses 50fps cameras when in reality they are using 320fps cameras IIRC.

Guest neesy111

Pretty sure I read on Reddit that the frame rate article was completely made up by Daily Mail. They said VAR uses 50fps cameras when in reality they are using 320fps cameras IIRC.

120fps which still isn't enough imo.

You can tell the PL have went the cheap route as the more FPS you want typically the resolution goes down as can be seen by the zoom in.

Goal hanging?

Mooching.

Pretty much bang on the money. One thing everyone forgets when the margins are so tight is that its pretty much impossible to pin point the exact moment the attacker's boot touches the ball to make the initial pass. And that split second is the difference between being onside or offside. I.e. if you freeze the frame 0.1 second earlier it will still show the attacker is passing the ball, however the receiver would be onside