Newcastle United 3-0 Southampton - 10/03/18 - post match euphoria from p14

Disco

Guest reefatoon

Fantastic result that. A much needed three points which pushed one of the teams below us more in the shite. Nice on the goal difference too. Well done lads.

Dubs - 8 - came and claimed a lot; clearly gives the back 4 confidence which is huge. Throw aside played well.

Yedlin - 7 - got forward well and didn't give him man much all day

Lascelles - 8 - imperious

Lejeune - 8 - see above

Dummett - 8 - on fire. He's one of our own.

Ritchie - 8 - great goal and enjoyed him screaming at Hojbjerg for no reason.

Shelvey - 9 - brilliant on and off the ball. Himself and Mo were first to nearly everything.

Diamé - 9 - absolutely everywhere. Superb.

Kenedy - 9 - two great goals, worked his socks off too.

Perez - 7 - did brilliantly for the second and put a serious shift in.

Gayle - 7 - as above. Two misses were annoying though.

Agreed with most of the above, Perez deserves a better rating than Gayle for me though. He was all over the place, rarely put a foot wrong and made us a much more potent attacking threat linking the play brilliantly. Gayle got let off massively with two dismal misses and given that's the job he's on the pitch for marks him down in my estimation.

After the slog this season has been, that was surprisingly easy. Southampton looked like a team with 42 points needing none, not a team on 28 with the job still to do.

Great goals and a great performance from our lads today. A big step forward to safety.

Felt before the game that, in the circumstances, this could be the most decisive fixture of our season. The position of the two clubs at kick off, the 3-week break right after it, and one of the few clearly winnable games left; the type of game we've thrown away until now. A 6-pointer.

We're not home and dry by any means but we've taken the pressure off going into Huddersfield. Fair play to Rafa for the team selection and starting on the front foot. Man for man I'm not sure we're any better than Southampton but we look a better unit and you have to credit the manager for that.

Was expecting a very tough game but they were truly awful. Bertrand their only bright light.

If they manage to stay up it will be because Stoke and Palace are worse and that’s saying something.

Feeling much more confident about our chances now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Massive win, great team goals and the win is all that matters. I hate the way we play though in general. They had 63% possession and 6 corners or something. They were utter shit, the worst team I’ve seen us play all season, they had nothing. It still felt like we needed those 3 goals though, maybe because of our position in the table and our poor home form. Southampton remind me of us under McClaren, a nothing team all over the pitch just going through the motions. Years of selling off your best players and swapping managers taking its toll? Meanwhile over in Leicester... what do they do? If they get rid of their manager they may have a chance, but is it too late? I said before the game this was a must win and we won and that’s all that matters.

Guest Howaythetoon

Was expecting a very tough game but they were truly awful. Bertrand their only bright light.

If they manage to stay up it will be because Stoke and Palace are worse and that’s saying something.

Feeling much more confident about our chances now.

Looking at their team today he is the only player I’d have in our team right now, even Redmond looked piss poor.

Southampton have a decent academy to call on but there’s a management issue there for sure. They’d be in huge bother if they went down.

Same for Stoke and Palace though, short term appointments with their managers, it’s always hit and miss.

If Palace go down, who’d have Cabaye back?

Felt before the game that, in the circumstances, this could be the most decisive fixture of our season. The position of the two clubs at kick off, the 3-week break right after it, and one of the few clearly winnable games left; the type of game we've thrown away until now. A 6-pointer.

We're not home and dry by any means but we've taken the pressure off going into Huddersfield. Fair play to Rafa for the team selection and starting on the front foot. Man for man I'm not sure we're any better than Southampton but we look a better unit and you have to credit the manager for that.

Don't think they they have anyone who wants to move it forward as quickly as Shelvey does and I think that was a huge difference between the two sides today.

Guest Howaythetoon

Southampton have a decent academy to call on but there’s a management issue there for sure. They’d be in huge bother if they went down.

Same for Stoke and Palace though, short term appointments with their managers, it’s always hit and miss.

Southampton will probably hire another unknown foreigner who will do relatively well and they do have their academy and a decent core of players already who would probably stay. Stoke under Lambert will be like Boro under Pulis down there I feel. Palace would be fucked as they would lose 7-9 players and possibly Hodgson.

As for Cabaye, no chance, he’s finished. Shelvey runs around more than him. I’d take Benteke, Zaha and I quite like their new Danish or is he Norwegian forward? Townsend is a good player, but I’d be disappointed if we had him back as I feel Murphy can become a better player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Judging by the reaction on the Soton forum they think Sims was their best player. He came on at HT and done f*** all. We were good today, but that was made possible by their collective ineptitude to play football.

Did more than any of their attacking players, won corners, challenged for balls, had a few shots, one which was saved and one which was blocked for a corner and caused us a problem or two. Dummet had him in his pocket out wide mind. I can see why they would think that. Desperate stuff either way.

Guest chopey

Fantastic result, Southampton awful, Dummett fantastic, still think we would have a better team with Mitro in it

Not a fucking chance. He's finished.

Good post this Ohme.

Rafa would have them top 8-10 probably.